Welcome to Radarspotting. Please login or sign up.

May 17, 2024, 04:40:39 AM

Login with username, password and session length

New Members

New Members

You should get an activation email when you join.  If not, please use the Contact option.

Flight Radar 24 advised set up using Raspberry-pi

Started by Roadrunner, July 09, 2019, 04:31:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roadrunner

After a lot of  thinking and searching I had the opportunity to get a new Raspberry-pi B+ and all the equipment as listed by FR24 to get a receiver feeding their site, and presumably keep my Business account. All items were received and I meticulously went through their steps and got to the point were everything was connected up and powered up I was also getting the correct coloured lights on both the ethernet and receiver lights.  Having  got up to this stage ( item 5 as listed under "setting up your P124") I  then followed the link and got the following

Raspberry Pi-based) receivers online in the same network as your web browser.

Click "Activate" on the receiver you want to connect to your Flightradar24 account.

If your receiver is not in the list above please follow the instructions  [here]

As there was nothing to activate I went to the next step, pressing the "follow the instructions [here]"

This is were I was out of my depth because it was asking me to "SSH into your Raspberry Pi and execute this command

sudo bash -c "$(wget -O - https://repo-feed.flightradar24.com/install_fr24_rpi.sh

None of the equipment obtained in the instructions gives anything to use to alter anything on the raspberry pi, and led me to believe that I would not need to tamper with the pi. As the pi came with an HDMI cable I connected it to the pi and could see the Flight-Radar 24 program but I have no way of adding or altering it at all.

What can I do now?

If I was to get a small touch screen for the pi would it allow me to do what they ask or is that not possible?

Thanks for any helpful suggestions you may have, I have also asked FR24 how I do what they want using the list they say is ALL I NEEDED !

Roadrunner

Still no response from Flight Radar 24 to help me through my dilemma on how to add the information to the pi, but what they have done is overnight downgrade my current access from Business to basic.

I have been trying to read up on  how I can update the files on the pi but it is all above my level. What I do belive is that there is someway I should be able to read the micro-SD on my (windows) PC and use another program to add the extra info. Anyone tried this or who can help me with what I need to complete the task.

Thanks in advance

Mike

Anmer

Hi Mike

I was hoping someone would offer you some advice.  Unfortunatelrly I don't feed FR24 using an RPi.

If I get a chance (but I'm very busy doling some major DIY at the moment), I'll try and replicate what you're trying to achieve,

But surely we have some members feeding FR24 using an RPi?

Here to Help.

Triple7

Hi Mike(s)

I feed FR24 from my Pi and also feed FA.

If the issue Roadrunner is experiencing is with SSH, then I'll try and help. You first need to load an SSH program - PuTTY is a very popular one (there are others)

https://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/putty/latest.html

Pick either 32 bit or 64 bit at the top of that page. Install as per any other windows program.

Open the program and you will see a screen like the one attached. Enter the IP address of the Pi in the box labelled 'Host Name (or IP address)' top right in the image. Click open. You should then see a command type screen asking you to "login as". Unless you have changed the Pi's defaults this will be login as 'pi' no quotes and the password is 'raspberry'. After you have got passed that stage you should see a screen like the second one attached.

It's at this point you need to type the command line you show:

sudo bash -c "$(wget -O - https://repo-feed.flightradar24.com/install_fr24_rpi.sh

One tip here you can copy the line of code from a windows screen then in the Pi's SSH window just right click the mouse and that line of code is pasted in. Hit enter and that should then load the FR24 image onto your pi.

You should be able to go and configure it as per the FR24 instructions. That's how I got mine running and that is alongside the FA Piaware stuff.

I hope this gets you going.

Tim

[attachment deleted reduce file load]
SBS-1eR, FA ProStick + 1090 filter

Anmer

Here to Help.

Roadrunner

Thanks Mike & Tim.

Tim I have a 64bit PC so downloaded the program and get the initial screen and entered the IP of the pi (went into my hub) and hit the "open" button. I then got the command type screen, without any intermediary screen asking for login as or password. May I say at this point that I got a brand new pi 3+ nothing else has been loaded as I followed FR24 installation for just their program. To continue, when I tried to type into the box my mouse would not type into it albeit I could see the curser image over the blank screen.

CORRECTION on closer look I find that my mouse will not work on the pop up SSH screen (black) that comes after hitting open. I use a wifi one do I need to use a wired one to use this?

Have to go out for an hour or so as wife wants to shop.

Any other ideas please

Regards mike

Triple7

Hi Mike,

OK, this could get a little complicated but let's see. Have you followed the instructions here:

https://forum.flightradar24.com/threads/11137-How-to-Feed-Data-to-Multiple-Sites-A-Brief-Guide

Option A

And here: https://www.flightradar24.com/build-your-own

It does make some assumptions that you know how to format the SD card and use Win32DiskImager. Rather than post a load of stuff that you may alrerady know, perhaps you can come back and advise how far you have got with the above (if anywhere) ;)

Can't see why a wireless mouse should make any difference tbh.

Tim

Roadrunner

I can confirm that I downloaded Win32diskmanager, loaded the 4GB miniSD I got in the bundle of stuff. I followed the process step by step and have the Pi connected to ethernet to my Virgin Hub 3 and aerial connected to Jet vison dongle which is also plugged into the Pi and so is the power. Ethernet lights and display lights work as expected. I log into FR24 under my current email address and password, then I go to the final steps of the set up that is when I get no connections listed so have to go to the page that gets into this SSH stuff. I did for a short while disconnect my PC from my monitor and connected the pi to the HDMA connection and got the Flightradar 24 logo and streams of data go onto the screen. I can confirm that my virgin hub shows the raspberry pi as connected 192.168.0.5 and as I sit here the pi is flashing a green on the front. I loaded the Putty 64bit version and get the screen up I enter the address 192.168.0.5 and get the black command screen come up directly. However, neither my keyboard not mouse affect an ything on that screen.
Just to confirm as this raspberry-pi business is all new to me I only wanted to get the device running with FR24 so nothing else is connected or expected of the pi.
Further I can add that FR24 got back to me this morning and have given me back my business account and suggested that I reflash the image, which I have done but still to no different affect.

Triple7

I'm sorry Mike, I can't understand why your mouse does not work in the PuTTY window - it should just behave like any other window on your screen.

It sounds as though you have things set-up correctly and you just need that final stage.

I can't offer you anymore suggestions I'm afraid.

Tim

Roadrunner

Tim,

Thanks for your help. I had been reading about the PuTTY program but had not downloaded it until your info. I have checked that the pi on ethernet is getting an address, which it is, my PC windows 10, 64-bit has never had keyboard problems. I was just talking to a guy I know who has a pi touch screen keyboard and he hopes to pop round latter and see if we can get in that way.

Thanks again Mike

Roadrunner

Tim Mike,
I spoke to another friend of mine although not into aviation is an avid pi user and suggested I get mine back onto screen using the HDMI cable even if I cant interact with it look for clues on there. I did that and found that my Pi ip was 192.168.0.57 not just .5 as I had read from my router. When I tried that it allowed me to see the login screen on the pi and I was asked to change its password. I did all that and finally got into the system. I then typed the line
[font=]sudo bash -c "$(wget  -O - [/font][font=]https://repo-feed.flightradar24.com/install_fr24_rpi.sh[/font][font=])"[/font]However, although it accepted it and was showing as loading etc, when I went back into fr24 the devise still does not appear on my list.

Triple7

Hi Mike - sorry been strimming!

I see you have followed the FR24 instructions and found your feed was not listed on this page

https://www.flightradar24.com/activate-raspberry-pi

My feed isn't listed either! However, I know I am feeding as I can check on the FR24 web page under my account.

Clicking on the link shows you the code that you posted earlier

sudo bash -c "$(wget -O - https://repo-feed.flightradar24.com/install_fr24_rpi.sh)"

That same code is also shown here:

https://www.flightradar24.com/share-your-data

Further down the page is an FAQ and it offers this as a way to check your settings

If you want to access it from a different computer on the same network, let's suppose FR24 data sharing application is running on a Raspberry Pi and you want to check settings from your PC/Mac then http://IP-of-RPI:8754.

What happens if you try that, do you get any options to enter email addresses and antenna location etc?

Struggling a bit now.

Tim

Roadrunner

Hi Guys,
Yesterday was a VERY trying dat with trying to set up my FR24 feed on a pi. However, I have to report that after 2-3 hours of trial and failure I finally got the pi to understand the line of entry to let me set up my pi.... I got to the pages that allow me to insert my local preferences email address etc and it came back with my key and sharing code. (under window set up years ago I had No.6 for my local airport now I am 185). I had to go out then so I did not actually get to find out if it was loading data against my id.
Looking through this morning and only been active for about 30 minutes so don't know how long it will be before I feature in the lists.

Just looking through the data I got on completion of the set-up and notice the near last line in the feedback states

To start sending data now please execute :  Sudo systemctl start fr24feed

I did not do that last night so using PuTTY did it this morning but after entering the line it gave no indication og activation. Is that normal
also will I have to do that after every restart of the pi?

I also not that I input my altitude the wrong way round putting in 530 rather than 350 feet asl. Is it easy to change it to the correct figure.

I would like to thank all who tried to help me yesterday and to say there were times I was going to bite the bullet and give up on it.

Regards Mike

Triple7

Hi Mike,

There's a good write up here:

https://forum.flightradar24.com/threads/8908-New-Flightradar24-feeding-software-for-Raspberry-Pie?p=66479#post66479

It may help you trouble shoot. There is a line of code that should allow you to go through the sign-up process again. See the section that starts-

After installation, please run the sign-up wizard even if you already have a sharing key:

$ fr24feed --signup

Then restart the feed:
$ sudo systemctl restart fr24feed

You can monitor the app status by:
$ fr24feed-status

As far as I am aware the FR24 feed starts automatically at boot up of the Pi. Mine does and I didn't add any extra code or anything else. The code immediately above should tell you if you are feeding or not.

Hope of some use.

Tim

Roadrunner

Thanks Tim,

I got all the messages about being connected etc last afternoon at about 15:30, I also then got a message later the same evening that I had stopped feeding. That was because I went out and as I was not completely sure what my status was I turned my system off. Will try these extra things and see how it goes.

Thanks