Welcome to Radarspotting. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 01:43:08 AM

Login with username, password and session length

New Members

New Members

You should get an activation email when you join.  If not, please use the Contact option.

Why would I want a scanner?

Started by IanH, July 04, 2012, 06:29:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

IanH

Ok, let's try a different question.

Clearly some of you guys are busy listening to airband so what are you using? The SBS radio(s) or a scanner. I have an old hand held scanner so what would I gain from one of the all singing/all dancing desktop scanners such as the Unidens mentioned here.

Or is just watching the output of an SBS-1 enough?

Ian

shakysen

HI Ian  Depends what you want to do I like decoding   http://www.coaa.co.uk/software_signals.htm  only a tiny bit of the stuff thats out there' What will the sbs-3
yield  :-*

Billko

Anmer

I have three scanners here, all unused.  I don't listen to airband at all now, not even the SBS-3 SDRs.

Maybe where I'm located is an issue as I only get to hear the aircraft transmission.

But it depends what you like.
Here to Help.

IanH

Mike

That kind of fits with my thoughts. But just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing out on anything essential.

I'll put the credit card away again  ;)

Ian

Chris-G0WTZ

shakysen

Hi All. I have no problem's with. HF,VHF,UHF AIRBANDS.Just trouble recording the tx

Billko Baggin's

Renair

I listen and enjoy, all the reach American (mill) transport
planes bringing their load for the U.S-Army to Ramstein and Spang-dahlem in germany at the frequentie 128.350 in the early morning and flying over navpi- Uk handed over from -Londen-Mill to Dutch mill, i like to listen to the C-17,s and C-5,s on my scanner,it,s Kicking !!!

IanH

Started this thread 9 months ago.

Since then the DVB-T dongles have changed things.

I now have a scanner for VHF using a dongle and SDR# for not a lot of money that gives me all I need.

When I first started this thread I was looking at £150+ but didn't know if it was worth it.

Got an old Radio Shack PRO-60 if I need portable - good enough!