Welcome to Radarspotting. Please login or sign up.

May 01, 2024, 07:13:20 PM

Login with username, password and session length

New Members

New Members

You should get an activation email when you join.  If not, please use the Contact option.

Active display down 5th October 2019

Started by big john, October 05, 2019, 10:01:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

corsa

I think that this is the longest that GAS  and AD has been down now!

Does anyone think it will be resurrected in the near future?

Tom

Anmer

Quote from: corsa on October 08, 2019, 02:58:02 PM
I think that this is the longest that GAS  and AD has been down now!

I expect the GAS website to be online again, when the server issue is resolved.

AD is a "cash bovine" so I think it will be back too.  But I could be wrong.
Here to Help.

kidshare

I have been manually updating using AD Lite. I was wondering how many new planes are added each day, now I know.  :P

Smudger98

With both ADL and GAS being down now for a week and it may be just me but the normally reliable airframes is also well behind on the latest registrations and codes ?
Anyone else happen to know of a site that is current with lists ?

Thanks,
Smudger..
Tomorrow is not Guaranteed  - So make the most of to-day !!!
SBS-1 User and a Tecno Numpty !!

Anmer

This can fill some gaps.  It can search on hex code as well as registration.

https://rzjets.net/aircraft/
Here to Help.

Smudger98

Tomorrow is not Guaranteed  - So make the most of to-day !!!
SBS-1 User and a Tecno Numpty !!

How 225

I thought you may be interested in an update I received from GAS today:

"It's all connected with a major failure at the web hosting provider, which has affected both the G.A.S. website
and the AD database. Unfortunately, there is currently no timescale for any return to service but solutions are being explored."

At least they are working on it!
How 225

jakems

An update from one of the guys who updated the database and Gary's daughter:

I am sad and disappointed to have to report to you that Active Display, ADPro, the software which populates data into your SBS tracking system, has failed, very probably permanently.

Many years ago Gary Jones became a member of the Gatwick Aviation Society (GAS). He was a brilliant programmer who included significant work at IBM on his cv as well as being a keen aircraft enthusiast. With a few others he studied the then new SBS system, wrote Active Display and then recruited Kinetic to make the hardware required, and GAS so that the GAS website could act as a conduit from the hardware to the AD database. This all became a popular bit of electronic kit amongst spotters, and he happily supported users, many of whom were complete novices in the computing game. He also regularly improved the programme as changes were required, like ADPro and ADLite.

And then, five and a half years ago, Gary died.

Four of us at GAS (two not even SBS users), decided to try and carry on with supporting AD by continuing to update the hex-code database, while Gary's daughter maintained the administrative side, all because we felt the need to honour Gary's memory. However, most of you will have realised by now that changes to AD itself were beyond our capabilities. Soon after this Kinetic understood that everyone who wanted a set had one, and in the absence of further sales they took the business decision to withdraw.

Since then, the systems operability has gradually declined without Gary's input, these are its major drawbacks though there are others;

Professional technical support is now no longer offered,

The on-line forum for discussion of difficulties has withered,

The system cannot resist the latest 'electronic robots', slowing it,

The system cannot recognise some new registration marks (eg Guernsey 2-),

The system cannot recognise some new hex-code batches (eg newer Chinese B-),

The system is very difficult to align with Windows 10.

Two weeks ago the server which hosts the GAS website, and therefore the AD database, failed. There have been many recriminations between the interested parties, but it seems that the outcome is that much of the AD database, amongst other things, has been lost. Although it may be possible to rebuild the GAS website itself, within that it is very doubtful that any way can be found to re-establish the links between yourselves, the website, and whatever may be left of ADPro.

I think in our heart of hearts we all understood that ADPro would only have a limited life after Gary's departure, but we certainly hoped that it's end would come in a far less sudden and messy manner.

ADPro was a subscription service of course, even if the subscription was only nominal, and we would be happy to offer a pro-rata refund to those subscribers who wish it, it works out at £2.08p per month remaining on your sub. If you wish to take advantage of this please e-mail Nicky Jones at nicholajones@outlook.com

Finally, can we once more reiterate our sadness at how this has unfolded, we can only hope that once the dust has settled you will look back at your time using the various AD iterations with some pleasure.

Harry Hawkins
Nichola Jones
Steve

Afqr2007

Very sad news I've been using GAS since the start. Got to be over 10 years now. So now I'm looking for a replacement product. Can anyone of you tell me of such a program.

Anmer

Quote from: jakems on October 13, 2019, 07:06:15 PM
An update from one of the guys who updated the database and Gary's daughter

Thanks for sharing this Steve.  I'm sure there'll be a lot of disappointed "spotters" when the news gets around.

I met Gary a number of times and he was always engaging and knowledgeable.  It was a sad day when I heard of his passing and it's a shame that one of his legacies will be no more.

I first started using SBS Populate in 2005 and migrated to AD Lite when it was superceded.  I've not found an alternative that offers similar, uncomplicated usability, both the database lookup and sqb populate.

There's a big gap to be filled.
Here to Help.

jakems

Very sad news indeed, I have used GAS since 2007 when I got my first SBS. As Afqr2007 says can anyone suggest an alternative, all I want is something to keep my database up to date?
Steve

Roadrunner

I have to say that Gary helped me out on many occasions and he then asked me - as a novice - to assist with testing a couple of new ideas. Of course they worked and I was happy to oblige. It came as a great shock when the news of his passing was released. I tried to stay with the program but am now using Planebase, which has the updates but also the added facility of using it to record details of aircraft I have seen.

I know we all miss Gary and his helpful and unjudgmental approach to those of use without much IT skill. He was a great loss to all that knew him, and I am sure people will be talking about his programs for a long time to come.

Regards Mike

How 225

I too have been using Active Display (and it's predecessor SBS Populate) since I first bought the original SBS-1.  Its a tribute to Gary Jones that it worked so superbly well and for me it has made all the difference to my hobby.  By far it was the best SBS add on ever produced and is difficult to replace. I understand Planebase does a similar job but last time I looked this wasn't available unless you were sponsored by an existing user. 
How 225

terrywadeairbus

Likewise I've been using AD for many years and will surely miss it's functions.

I spoke to Gary several times and he was so helpful and friendly with AD and SBS matters.

I assume we can still use the program and manually update aircraft details etc? What
will happen when your AD subscription comes up for renewal , will we be able to just carry on using it without a subscription code being sent or will the program cease to work?

Regards

Terry Wade 

ben2311

I will miss AD,  need someone to sponsor me on planebase now