Welcome to Radarspotting. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 07:54:29 PM

Login with username, password and session length

New Members

New Members

You should get an activation email when you join.  If not, please use the Contact option.

SBS-1 and RPi

Started by bumpy_up_here, April 27, 2020, 03:17:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oblivian

I worded my original SBS 'how-to' rather badly, as it was all assumptions and I didn't have the hardware to test

And for some reason users would never come back and confirm/deny outcome when trying to get things working :/

But that all but confirms my suspect one listed for 'older' SBSs - 3 seem to be a hard chicken

(And I now note I need to change it to reflect PI IP rather than localhost/windows..)

Quote1. FR24feed primary connection
Step 1
Configure FR24feed for SBS via USB or LAN (source port 10001)
Enable SBS relay/out option
Close FR24feed

Step 2
Configure basestation to FR24feed as network source:
(settings - hardware settings - network)
localhost:20072
Close Basestation
Open FR24feed (ensure connecting to SBS3)
Open Basestation (ensure connecting to FR24feed relay on 20072)

Other apps should share access to 20072 (+ 30006 if BS open)

and for older I had:

2nd Option
Configure FR24feed for SBS-USB
Enable SBS relay
Close FR24feed

Configure Basestation for network data
IPofPI:20072
Close

Run FR24feed - check connect via USB
Open basestation - check connect + display

I tried to get them to amend the instruction PDF (even today it mentions macOS which has been dropped) to correct the port settings and how it says to set it up. As it doesn't cover all examples. But alas.

Especially since the built in web config interface says this under sbs-relay..
   SBS1 compatible feed, port 10001, Kinetic Avionics RX only!

When it was confirmed looooong ago the correct port is 20072 as you found buried elsewhere.

N7325

Hi guys - just wondered if I could get a bit of help with this, please.

I have installed fr24feed on the RPi, entered all my personal details and selected option 2 for SBS via USB/LAN. The next step asks to confirm whether I want to connect via the network or USB, so I select option 2 for USB. It is now asking me for the following:

"Step 4.3A - Please enter your receiver's COM port number/device path"

Anyone got any idea what I enter here?

Basestation on the Windows PC has the Pi's IP address and port (20072) entered and is communicating with the Pi as it says connected/Not connected each time I restart fr24feed on the Pi. Just the middle bit in between i'm stuck with!

Thanks, Max

Anmer

Welcome.

What receiver are you using to feed aircraft data to the RPi?  Do you use an SBS?  And what do you have on the RPi in addition to the FFR24 feeder app?
Here to Help.

Oblivian

I was under the impression it was native detected and you can skip entering anything since it skips using Dump1090

But if not finding the most likely case if it has a usb to serial chip is
/dev/ttyUSB0

N7325

Quote from: Anmer on August 16, 2020, 08:25:31 AM
Welcome.

What receiver are you using to feed aircraft data to the RPi?  Do you use an SBS?  And what do you have on the RPi in addition to the FFR24 feeder app?

Hi Anmer, I'm try to setup as per post #11. The SBS1 is connected to the Pi Zero at the moment via USB as the main Pi is feeding various things which I didn't want to disturb.

The SBS lights up when plugged in (red, orange and blue leds) - could it possibly not be detected properly by the Pi? And if so how would I be able to get it detected?

When inputting any value into Step 4.3A, it replies with something like option 2 (USB) is not available or not detected. (I'm away from the setup so trying to remember what it was saying last night!)

Thanks, Max

Anmer

Thanks Mx.

I've not tried this myself so I'm reading the relevant posts to understand bumpy_up_here's setup.

My understanding is he has:

1. An SBS.  What model do you have?
2. PC running BaseStation, connected to the SBS via "Network".
3. An RPi running the FR24 feeder app, connected by USB cable to the SBS.

I assume your SBS has an Ethernet port?  What switch settings do you have, see attached?

[attachment deleted reduce file load]
Here to Help.

N7325

Quote from: Anmer on August 16, 2020, 09:58:05 AM
Thanks Mx.

I've not tried this myself so I'm reading the relevant posts to understand bumpy_up_here's setup.

My understanding is he has:

1. An SBS.  What model do you have?
2. PC running BaseStation, connected to the SBS via "Network".
3. An RPi running the FR24 feeder app, connected by USB cable to the SBS.

I assume your SBS has an Ethernet port?  What switch settings do you have, see attached?

Hi Anmer, thanks for the reply.

1. Original SBS1, no ethernet port.
2. This part works - the PC is set to network and can talk to the RPi as it correctly shows when connected/not connected.
3. Exactly the same setup as you've described. The SBS is connected to the RPi via USB. The RPi is running fr24feed app.

This is what i get if enter anything (even just pressing enter) after the $:

Step 4.3A - Please enter your receiver's COM port number/device path
     $:
     Entered path, 2, does not exist in the file system or is inaccessible!

I'm assuming the '2' is referring me choosing USB (option 2) or network (option 1)?

Thanks, Max

Anmer

Thanks Max.

So we're singing from the same sheet, can you point me to the post or other source of the process you're following, especially where it refers to "step 4.3A"?
Here to Help.

N7325

Quote from: Oblivian on August 16, 2020, 09:02:26 AM
I was under the impression it was native detected and you can skip entering anything since it skips using Dump1090

But if not finding the most likely case if it has a usb to serial chip is
/dev/ttyUSB0

Oblivian, you are the man! Thank you so much for your reply as I have it working now!

Process is as follows:

1.1 Email address
1.2 FR24 sharer code
1.3 MLAT calcs y/n - if yes give lat/long/height info
4.1 Receiver selection - select #2 for SBS1/1er on USB/network
4.2 Connection type - select #2 for USB
4.3A COM port number/device path - type "/dev/ttyUSB0" without the ""
4.3B Baud rate - select #3 for 921600
5.1 RAW data feed on port 30334 y/n - select yes
5.2 Basestation data feed on port 30003 y/n - select yes
5.3 SBS/Basestation RAW data feed on port 20072 y/n - select yes
6 logfile mode - I selected 0 (disabled) as I'm not bothered about a log file for now

Installation process complete and I'm receiving aircraft on the screen, albeit with about 10-12 miscodes, not sure if they are produced by the RPi.

Many thanks for the replies, problem solved!

Max

Anmer

Great and well done Oblivian.  And thanks for sharing the setup.

Since the RPi isn't doing any message decoding, the miscodes may be originating elsewhere.  Unlerss I'm misunderstanding the setup.
Here to Help.