Welcome to Radarspotting. Please login or sign up.

May 17, 2024, 08:34:44 AM

Login with username, password and session length

New Members

New Members

You should get an activation email when you join.  If not, please use the Contact option.

SBS-3 Power Supply & Ethernet Questions

Started by paulspot, August 19, 2020, 06:07:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

paulspot

All,

Apologies if this has been covered previously. I have unpacked my SBS3 from long term storage and I'm changing from USB power and connection to Ethernet connection and mains power.

1. Before I connect the SBS3 box to the Ethernet and mains, do I need to adjust settings? If so, which ones?

2. Will this adapter (picture attached) safely power SBS3?

3. Had anyone had any success or failure using Zyxcel powerline adapters please?

MTIA

Paul

[attachment deleted reduce file load]
SBS-3, BSBW1090SP (Attick), PP Sharer, FR24.

Anmer

Hi Paul.

The SBS-3 needs a DC power supply if you plan to connect it using Ethernet cable.  A 12v 300ma should work OK.

There are no hardware settings for the SBS-3.

Connect the SBS-3 using an Ethernet cable to your router or an access point.  I've successfully used powerline adapters.

When you start BaseStation you will need to change the Settings -> Data Source to Use Network.

If the SBS-3's default IP address of 192.168.1.170 is compatible with your local network address range, all should be OK.

If not, post back here.
Here to Help.

paulspot

Hi Anmer,

Thank you for the pointers.

So the power supply in the picture is no good at 5v 2.5va?

Does anyone have a link to a suitable power supply please?

MTIA

Anmer

Quote from: paulspot on August 19, 2020, 06:52:15 PM
So the power supply in the picture is no good at 5v 2.5va?

Try it, it might work.

I've used universal, variable supplies before.  Look on Amazon?
Here to Help.

paulspot

Will do, I just didn't want to blow it up!

Anmer

I don't think you'll blow it up.  One further thought, you could try powering it using a USB cable.  But you may not get sufficient power.  But again, no harm in trying.
Here to Help.

paulspot

My SBS and aerials are going in the loft with the PC in the study. So the  SBS3 will be powered via the mains and data through the Ethernet cable via a powerline adapter.

Anmer

Quote from: paulspot on August 20, 2020, 08:12:21 AM
and data through the Ethernet cable via a powerline adapter.

The only issues I've had with powerline adapters is when there are sub-circuits.  i.e another consumer unit off the main one.

When the adapters are connected to ring mains off the same consumer unit, they work OK.
Here to Help.

paulspot

Perfect, I'll let you know how it goes. I haven't tried the power supply yet, but that'll be the delay if the one I have doesn't work.

paulspot

I'm up and running again!

The power supply seems to work perfectly.

Thank you all for your valuable help, much appreciated.

Anmer

Thanks for the update.

Is that using powerline adapters and what was the power supply spec?  Could be useful for future reference.
Here to Help.

paulspot

Hi Anmer,

Yes a combination of Zyxel PLA5215s and PLA5405s that happily talk to each other linking my desktop to the router and the SBS3 to the network (to my desktop); the power supply is the one pictured in the first post of the thread. Are all the details you require there?

Paul

Anmer

Thanks Paul.

All good, appreciate the feedback.
Here to Help.

Urania

Hello there,
Still speaking about the SBS-3, there is no DC power supply on it if I want to use ethernet .... Only usb power supply.
Might be a problem of version ????

Thx

Urania

I have found my answer: It as to be a minimum of 2A