Welcome to Radarspotting. Please login or sign up.

May 17, 2024, 01:08:22 PM

Login with username, password and session length

New Members

New Members

You should get an activation email when you join.  If not, please use the Contact option.

Map Symbols and Species Issues

Started by gonzalu, December 04, 2020, 12:54:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gonzalu

Hello all,

First of all, apologies if this has been solved and/or discussed previously. I have done some searching but did not find any relevant posts beyond what I found re: how it currently works.

So, from what I understand, VRS displays a particular specific symbol that represents the model type (4 engine, 2 engine, single engine, helicopter, etc.) derived from the Model ICAO field in the database.  This works fine under typical circumstances, especially GA traffic which I rarely change.

However, since I change pretty much each and every Model ICAO to reflect a specific Side View / Silhouette, most of the symbols on my map are generic ones.

In the example below, I use the REGISTRATION for this special c/s in both the Model ICAO and Operator ICAO to pick up logo and silhouette I have to represent it in the List View.

Is there a solution for this other than adding more types to the StandingData.sqb file?

Thanks for your help!
/Manny

Artilect

I would not change the model ICAO type, this will change what Markers appear on the map.

Having Silhouettes flags named other then ICAO model numbers "breaks" the aircraft markers.  But there is way you could change Silhouettes flags while preserving aircraft markers type, with this method below.

Here is what I would do.   Install Custom Content plug-in for vrs and add this script. 

<script type="text/javascript">
    if(VRS && VRS.globalDispatch && VRS.serverConfig) {
        VRS.globalDispatch.hook(VRS.globalEvent.bootstrapCreated, function(bootStrap) {
            VRS.globalOptions.aircraftAllowRegistrationFlagOverride = true;
        });
    }
</script>

Also installed these two https://github.com/dedevillela/VRS-Operator-Flags and https://github.com/dedevillela/VRS-Silhouettes

This will allow (IN addition) to naming Op-flags and Silhouettes based on registration field.

Logos and silhouettes named with reg number will overide any other flags.

Also I have general aviation logo for blank Op-flags field. But don't remember how I got that working at the moment maybe one of these plugins. Which I also have logos based on the Manufacturer field, ie Cessna name in the Manufacturer field, logo named Cessna will appear in the op-flag table.

Hope this make sense.

Artilect

What would be great if there was a way to have name based on a custom "user field" that would override the silhouette flag field. 

gonzalu

Quote from: Artilect on December 04, 2020, 05:22:57 AM
What would be great if there was a way to have name based on a custom "user field" that would override the silhouette flag field.

Thanks man, this is great info. I am still learning how to customize. Only have done the extra links under the plane pics... to FAA, JEtPhotos etc.

And this is what I would love. Perhaps a special keyword in the NOTES field. Currently I put the original standard ICAO model in the NOTES field for me to remember just in case...

Perhaps something like a trigger keyword like

LOGO=AALB738
SILHOUETTE=AAB738W

or something like that which could be parsed. I [[ SUCK ]] at CSS/HTML/JS so I can't contribute :(
/Manny

gonzalu

Quote from: Artilect on December 04, 2020, 05:09:25 AM
Also installed these two https://github.com/dedevillela/VRS-Operator-Flags and https://github.com/dedevillela/VRS-Silhouettes

OH MAN, what did you do to me? Another GIGANTIC RABBIT HOLE for me to go down.. .there goes another two days of me tinkering LOLOL :D

Thanks for these. Wonderful stuff.
/Manny

gonzalu

Quote from: Artilect on December 04, 2020, 05:22:57 AM

The DB has a bunch of user fields that largely go unused ...
/Manny