Welcome to Radarspotting. Please login or sign up.

May 17, 2024, 05:54:04 AM

Login with username, password and session length

New Members

New Members

You should get an activation email when you join.  If not, please use the Contact option.

SBS-Populate is re-born and running

Started by Pipo, February 01, 2021, 01:27:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Smudger98

The path looks ok..  C-KINETIC-BASESTATION
But im not getting the A-P Session" window part..  There was only the one so far..

[attachment deleted reduce file load]
Tomorrow is not Guaranteed  - So make the most of to-day !!!
SBS-1 User and a Tecno Numpty !!

Anmer

Quote from: Smudger98 on February 02, 2021, 12:14:34 PM
The path looks ok..  C-KINETIC-BASESTATION

And is that the correct path and location for your Basestation.sqb file?

For me the record 406F77 returns an ICAO Operator code of "BAW-B787" from the Dutch server.  Yours shows "BAW789"?
Here to Help.

Anmer

Methinks you have all the recent aircraft codes already populated.  Your data is different to the server.

Here to Help.

paulm

I have 8 populated this A-P Session, I have checked 4 of those and they have been populated in Basestation Reporter. They have not been populated in my usual style and dont match my logos, so I dont know how useful the program would be to me. I was a big fan of Active Display Pro but I never used Populate in the past.

Paul

Anmer

Quote from: paulm on February 02, 2021, 01:42:30 PM
They have not been populated in my usual style and dont match my logos, so I dont know how useful the program would be to me. I was a big fan of Active Display Pro but I never used Populate in the past.

Same here.  For the ICAO Operator code field I either use the ICAO type code (for silhouettes) or an airline ICAO code for logos.  With a few exceptions.

I never did use Auto Populate in SBSPopulate or AD.

But for updating individual records, SBSPopulate is better than a manual lookup and filling in the details into ADLite to update the sqb file.

This way I have control over the data fields and what goes in them.
Here to Help.

Smudger98

Quote from: Anmer on February 02, 2021, 01:39:28 PM
Methinks you have all the recent aircraft codes already populated.  Your data is different to the server.

I like to keep up to date where possible and yes my codes are different fron the dutch version..  BAW789 for me denotes a 787-900 series etc.

Im thinking single changes are my best option and not autopop..

Pipo

If members here are willing to help to sent us some ""Export major Fields" so we can update the database with those info. How more we are getting from around the world would be great to make the database grwoing and growing.

To do this (for users new to sbspopulate:

Start sbspopulate (best is to shut down basestation), then select File -> Export Major fields, Then save the txt file with Your Country + Date, then maybe upload it to Dropbox or Google Drive and email me the download url add danny@dutchradar.nl.

We will convert that data to fit inside the database, the more fields we have how nicer the database would be.

And we are working on the ICAO Operator input that it only shows the 3 letter code for the airline.

SBS-1e & SBS-3 Raspberry Pi 3 & Pi 4
Uniden UBC125XLT

Anmer

Quote from: Smudger98 on February 02, 2021, 02:18:06 PM
Im thinking single changes are my best option and not autopop..

Are the Single Records pulling data from the Dutch server?  When you enter a code and then hit "GAS Load"?
Here to Help.

Anmer

Quote from: Pipo on February 02, 2021, 02:28:09 PM
If members here are willing to help to sent us some ""Export major Fields" so we can update the database with those info.

This assumes the local database has the latest, correct data.  And what do you do when the same hex code has different data from different databases?  How do you spot this and determine which is correct, if any?

The big challenge is maintaining a global, up-to-date database.  GAS knew that, as does FlightAware, FlightRadar24, PlaneFinder, Planebase etc.

Accessing the database and downloading the data is great as long as the data is correct.
Here to Help.

Pipo

Quote from: Anmer on February 02, 2021, 02:35:33 PM
Quote from: Pipo on February 02, 2021, 02:28:09 PM
If members here are willing to help to sent us some ""Export major Fields" so we can update the database with those info.

This assumes the local database has the latest, correct data.  And what do you do when the same hex code has different data from different databases?  How do you spot this and determine which is correct, if any?

The big challenge is maintaining a global, up-to-date database.  GAS knew that, as does FlightAware, FlightRadar24, PlaneFinder, Planebase etc.

Accessing the database and downloading the data is great as long as the data is correct.

Michel is using een tool to find hexcodes with double data and this is filter out to check online what the correct info is. How this is done is in hands of Michel
Uniden UBC125XLT

Anmer

Here's a good example, one I just picked up on my SBS.

The ICAO Type code is F2TH, not F2EX.

The Type should read Dassault Falcon 2000EX.  EASy is a marketing "add on".

The Operator is Bank of Utah Trustee, as per FAA.

The ICAO Operator should also be F2TH.

The Dutch server holds, in my view, four incorrect data fields.

I'm sure it will improve if the community works together.  But someone has to be the final arbiter.

Here to Help.

Pipo

Quote from: Anmer on February 02, 2021, 02:54:50 PM

The ICAO Type code is F2TH, not F2EX.

The Type should read Dassault Falcon 2000EX.  EASy is a marketing "add on".

The Operator is Bank of Utah Trustee, as per FAA.

The ICAO Operator should also be F2TH.

The Dutch server holds, in my view, four incorrect data fields.

I'm sure it will improve if the community works together.  But someone has to be the final arbiter.

Slowly we will make improvement on the database and yes with help and input from community. We have also contacted S92Driver if he want to help keep the database up2date, this contact is be twin Steve and Michel (Michel is control of the server). maybe we can ask steve to make the fields correct for the populate.
Uniden UBC125XLT

Triple7

Quote from: Anmer on February 02, 2021, 02:54:50 PM

That data is from PlaneBase - see attached image. They use a non-standard "ICAOTypeCode" field for some types, which of course means it's not an ICAO TypeCode!

Tim

SBS-1eR, FA ProStick + 1090 filter

Anmer

Thanks Tim.

I rarely "accept" available data at "face value".  If in doubt I hunt around on official listings, where available, tracking sites, latest photos and, if all else fails, Google.  I often try matching flight IDs/callsigns, if possible.  Then I make a judgement call before updating my personal sqb file.

Estimates of "in service" civilian aircraft range wildly between 25,000 and 40,000.  My sqb file has 60,000 records, including military.  Some of these are no longer flying and I have data going back 16 years.

I've also read there are over 200,000 "general aviation" aircraft in the USA which makes me think the earlier estimates are for "commercial" aircraft.

s92driver's populated sqb file (via Planebase) has 330,000 records!

Whatever the global number of aircraft, keeping a database up-to-date and correct is a major challenge.  I'll just focus on my little corner of the globe.
Here to Help.

Smudger98

The other 2 boxes that dont seem to be on GASPop are the user tag & the interested boxes which to me actually are fundamental, again not wishing to nit pick but it seems that i still seem to be doing most of the work after finding the missing code..