Welcome to Radarspotting. Please login or sign up.

May 19, 2024, 05:35:02 AM

Login with username, password and session length

New Members

New Members

You should get an activation email when you join.  If not, please use the Contact option.

my new receiver

Started by IanH, September 05, 2012, 05:42:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

junglejet

I have now extracted the 1090 MHz application from my SDR and it is working more or less. If you want to participate in a trial and join a Yahoo group please send a PM.

junglejet

dongle

Quote from: junglejet on November 13, 2012, 04:49:07 PM
I have now extracted the 1090 MHz application from my SDR and it is working more or less. If you want to participate in a trial and join a Yahoo group please send a PM.

Hi.

I have been experimenting with an rtrl2832 dongle for ads-b decoding using linux and gr-airmodes.

I see references to a windows program rtl1090, but find no guidance anywhere to where to download it or how to install it and the needed drivers.

Is their an 'idiots guide' anywhere you could point me to? I looked at the yahoo group but found no solution to this.

Thanks

Dongle

IanH

If you sign in to yahoogroups, you should be able to open the Files menu in the group linked above. That is where the latest version of rtl1090 is to be found.

Ian

dongle

Thanks.

Have downloaded files and instructions and will install when I get a minute.

Very tied up just now with other things to do with work.

This looks like a great development for making it easy to do ads-b.

The linux E4000 works really well with my little pre-amp, but it is a but tricky with the linux fiddling you have to do. I doubt I could get much more range than I do with gr-air-modes, because my range is only limited by the horizon and obstacles in the way, such as mountains, a tower block or two and a church steeple. They show up  as blanks in exactly the right part of the chart when I leave plane plotter left to run with permanent trails enabled. I don't think that you can do much better than 230 miles which I can get in the better direction. 1090 mhz isn't going to go around obstacles that well, even if the planes are emitting 150 - 250 watts.

So - when I get the time, I'll swap in my 820t dongle up in the loft after the pre-amp and run the rlt10190 software on windows down in my radio cupboard at the end of my 10 meter usb lead and see how they compare. Looking forward to it. It should be interesting to compare the coverage I can get.

dongle

I've been tied up with other stuff lately and only just had time to install the RTL1090 program. It works better than gr_air-modes in my setup.

When I first had gr-air-modes running I had about the same sensitivity, but an update of modes_rx lost me about thirty miles of detection range. I wondered if some water had got into my antenna which is home made. I wrote to the author of the software and he said he could see no reason why I would lose range, so I left it.

Today, as soon as I installed and got RTL1090 running, the lost range was restored. I'm pleased with this and I don't need to run Linux now which is a blessing as I had a good netbook tied up running it.

I have read that the R820T dongles are more sensitive than the E4000 ones. I have a new and R820T which has been on the shelf for about six weeks unused. I'll crack it open and tap of +5v to run my pre-amp up in the loft. When I've done this we'll see how it goes and I will post feedback on that dongle.

Anmer

Thanks for the update.

As soon as I get a chance I will try Andy's RTL1090.
Here to Help.

satcom

As announced yesterday PP now has support for the RTL Dongle in conjunction with Andy's RTL 1090 sw

Once RTL1090 is running , just select RTL in PP I/O settings , that should automatically pick up the IP and port info...and away you go.

In addition , very shortly we should see raw data support so that the dongle can be used as a Ground Station for Mlat.
Extensive tests show that the curve  scatter from the dongle is remarkably good.
Andy's  last update to rtl1090  vastly improved the message rate from the dongle
and as a result  Mode S Beamfinder and BeamFinder S plus work a treat.    :)

dongle

Chuckle........

The R820T cost me less than £8.....  and I thought the E4000 one was cheap

:)

Amazing performance for the money.

Anmer

Quote from: dongle on December 20, 2012, 09:07:06 AM

Wait until the Pucks get released.  £5 each or both for £8.

Beat that.
Here to Help.

satcom

Quote from: Anmer on December 20, 2012, 09:09:23 AM

Beat that.

I'll be looking at the E4000 today as I think that it too will provide raw data and the latest version of  rtl1090 has narrowed the gap in performance between the two.
There's also the prospect of using two dongles , one for Mode A/C one for Mode S

dongle

Quote from: satcom on December 20, 2012, 09:46:26 AM
Quote from: Anmer on December 20, 2012, 09:09:23 AM

Beat that.

I'll be looking at the E4000 today as I think that it too will provide raw data and the latest version of  rtl1090 has narrowed the gap in performance between the two.
There's also the prospect of using two dongles , one for Mode A/C one for Mode S

As I understand it, the R820T tuner is more sensitive at 1090 mhz than the E4000 type. The E4000 is reputed to be more sensitive at the VHF end of the spectrum. The R820T is available very cheaply, much more cheaply than the E4000 is now, so I would go for that one. As I said, I haven't yet had the chance to put my new R820T into service since the outfit is in the loft and communicates to the laptop via a long usb cable (10 metres).

SCREEN SHOT TAKEN JUST NOW:

satcom

Agree about the E4000 just tried it and the range is about half of the 820T
Having said that , there's a chance that anyone with that might be able to use if for VHF airband.

You've got cracking coverage there , hope you'll consider being a GS at some time in the future.

shakysen

Hi Satcom. I use both type's For VHF& UHF airband VHF gives great coverage. But UHF is a little unstable at the moment but I'll crack it. Plus they will do a great deal more if one can be bothered to experiment.

Billko