Welcome to Radarspotting. Please login or sign up.

May 19, 2024, 04:02:01 AM

Login with username, password and session length

New Members

New Members

You should get an activation email when you join.  If not, please use the Contact option.

ModeSMixer2 with USB?

Started by DaveReid, April 30, 2022, 04:09:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

egnx

Yes, actually I get the same error using mm2 and sbs3 or sbs1er via usb.

But I don't get any errors when using mm2 and sbs3 or sbs1er via ethernet.

DaveReid

Quote from: egnx on May 01, 2022, 11:54:03 AM
FYI, if I use modesmixer2 with my 1er connected by usb without basestation running and with the following:-
modesmixer2.exe --inConnect 127.0.0.1:10001  --outServer msg:31664

All i get is the error:-
no connection could be made because the target machine actively refused it

My understanding, which may be flawed given that it's based on only a couple of days acquaintance with ModeSMixer2, is that you use different command line switches depending on whether you're connected via USB or Ethernet:

With Ethernet, use --inConnect, specifying the IP address and port that the SBS is configured to (default 192.168.1.170:10001)

With USB, use --inSerial, specifying which virtual COM port, baud rate and flow control type

Note that with USB, you need to have a virtual com port (VCP) set up (usually gets created by default with the FTDI drivers) and you need to know which COM port it's configured to (visible in Device Manager).

So with an SBS-1eR connected via USB, the switch would be --inSerial COMx:921600:none, where x identifies which is the VCP.

Hope that makes sense.

Anyone remember XModem ?   :)

DaveReid

Quote from: egnx on May 01, 2022, 12:52:39 PM
Yes, actually I get the same error using mm2 and sbs3 or sbs1er via usb.

But I don't get any errors when using mm2 and sbs3 or sbs1er via ethernet.

If you get a chance, could you try connecting via USB with the inSerial rather than the inConnect switch, please ?

For your SBS-1eR, the syntax would be --inSerial COMx:921600:none

Or for your SBS-3, the syntax would be --inSerial COMx:3000000:none

For "COMx", substitute the virtual comm port shown in Device Manager (look for "USB Serial Port" under "Ports (COM & LPT)". This may only be visible once you plug in the SBS USB cable.

Good luck !

Dave

Anmer

Quote from: DaveReid on May 02, 2022, 09:32:46 AM
Or for your SBS-3, the syntax would be --inSerial COMx:3000000:none

I've tried this.  Device Manager shows COM1 as attached.

If I use a BAT file:

@echo off
CMD /c I:\MSM2\modesmixer2.exe --inSerial COM1:9600:none --outServer sbs10001:10002
exit

ModeSMixer2 can connect OK, see attached.

If I set Basestation to connect using Network to the IP address of the PC running ModeSMixer2 on port 1002, it shows "Connected to SBS-1".  But no traffic!

Like there's no decoded data on port 10001?

[attachment deleted reduce file load]
Here to Help.

DaveReid

Interesting !!!

I think the reason you're not seeing traffic on BaseStation is the baud rate - if I connect to the SBS's virtual comm port at 9600 with a terminal emulator, I get a stream of garbage, so BaseStation probably can't decode it.

But if I start up my terminal and connect to my SBS-3 at 3000000 baud (!), then I get a data stream that conforms to the Kinetic API, and traffic on my BaseStation screen.

So you may well find that using --inSerial COM1:3000000:none produces traffic on BaseStation (or 921600 for an SBS-1).  That overrides the default baud rate set in Device Manager.

But the mystery remains as to why I'm getting an error with exactly the same command line?  I note that you're using the ModeSMixer2 20180606 release, whereas I'm using the 20190413 version - I wonder if something is broken in the latter ?

Anmer

Changing the baud rate has this result but still no data.

Here to Help.

Anmer

Quote from: DaveReid on May 02, 2022, 11:04:11 AM
I wonder if something is broken in the latter ?

You may be right.

If I use the later version it errors.

Here to Help.

DaveReid

Curiouser and curiouser ...

So v.20180616 won't accept 3000000 as a command-line argument at all, whereas v.20190413 accepts it but then throws up a format error.  Doh.

It may well be that your copy is still connecting at the default baud rate set in Device Manager (9600), hence no data.  Dev Mgr allows you to alter that default value, but only from a predefined list of choices which doesn't go as high as 3 million. 

It does, however, offer 921600 - the required baud rate for an SBS-1, if you have one handy that you can try.  In that case, I suspect that --inSerial COM1 (without the baud rate and flow control parameters, which are optional) might well work.

Anmer

Quote from: DaveReid on May 02, 2022, 11:35:38 AM
It does, however, offer 921600 - the required baud rate for an SBS-1, if you have one handy that you can try.  In that case, I suspect that --inSerial COM1 (without the baud rate and flow control parameters, which are optional) might well work.

Mine doesn't!

Here to Help.

DaveReid

Hmmm.

My Properties dialog looks different - note the title "USB Serial Port (COM1) Properties"

That may be because I installed the latest FTDI drivers when I started this adventure:  https://ftdichip.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/08/CDM212364_Setup.zip

Anmer

Installing the latest drivers from your link hasn't changed the baud rate options.

Intersting that your Com port "links" to the USB Serial Converter?
Here to Help.

DaveReid

Do you have a Properties dialog like this under "USB Serial Converter B" in Device Manager ?

Anmer

Quote from: DaveReid on May 02, 2022, 12:26:30 PM
Do you have a Properties dialog like this under "USB Serial Converter B" in Device Manager ?

Sure do.
Here to Help.

DaveReid

Then I'm rapidly running out of ideas.   :)

While I have a ponder, would you be able to email me the older (2018) copy of ModeSMixer2 so that I can establish which error(s), if any, I get when I run that.

MTIA

Anmer

Here to Help.