Welcome to Radarspotting. Please login or sign up.

May 04, 2024, 07:18:28 AM

Login with username, password and session length

New Members

New Members

You should get an activation email when you join.  If not, please use the Contact option.

Hello Oh Mighty One (My Saviour)

Started by MaxRebo171, August 05, 2022, 09:50:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tchawk

Got it fixed so far. Have that .dll file downloaded and placed in the Windows directory and BaseStation begins to load, but now the wife wants to leave for some errands, so will have to get back to fighting this process in a bit.

tchawk

Well, after all of that, it doesn't detect any aircraft activity during the setup test. I have tried using the default port it had of 10001 as well as the port that I am using that does work with VRS of 30003 and I have tried all three options of receiver but nada. All 3 choices include Kenetic pucks of one option or another which I don't have, so I feel that that is probably why. This has been a helluva struggle just to try to update bitmaps..lol

tchawk

Exhibit A of my issues.  I have both of these flights with the same aircraft, same airline and same callsign airline designation and I hover over both the airline logo that is a showing up and the one where it 'should' be, and they both say DAL: Delta Airlines. Why is that one not showing up but the other is? Makes no sense.

It looks like it is time to move onto the ModeSmixer program you mentioned and try to figure out how to get that installed and going on the Pi.

Anmer

Quote from: tchawk on March 24, 2023, 09:27:50 PM
Makes no sense.

Seems like that but it does make sense.

The logo is displayed by attaching it to a specific aircraft.

An ADS-B message is transmitted by an aircraft with a unique ICAO ID, often referred to as a hex code.  The message includes a flight ID but nothing about the aircraft owner, type, registration etc.  We have to add that data to the local database, the Basestation.sqb file.  And if we want a logo to show, we have to add data to the OperratorFlag column.

I would recommend reading some of the Guides we have here.
Here to Help.

tchawk

QuoteAn ADS-B message is transmitted by an aircraft with a unique ICAO ID, often referred to as a hex code.

I had understood most of that previously, as I had been using www.live-military-mode-s.eu to interpret the ICAO/hex codes of some of the military flights near me that don't present that full information while using my tar1090 maps.

As far as VRS and BaseStation.sqb/ logo integration, I am still learning that. I do have a BaseStation.sqb file within the VRS file system and I have the Database field within the VRS configurator (see attachments) pointed towards that, I just need to access that .sqb file to modify the OperatorFlag Column within it, which as you pointed out previously, I need BaseStation Reporter to do. I now have that installed on my PC as well. It just won't "talk" to my Pi, (appears to be the 10001(Kinetic)/30003(ADSB-Pi) interpretation mismatch thing) so I am now at the point of needing to get the ModeSmixer2 program you suggested earlier installed on my Pi and going in order to do that, and in turn learn the process of using BaseStation Reporter to update the BaseStation.sqb file.

It's a lot of learning, and I get that. It's been also a lot of searching and sifting through antiquated/outdated information that is geared towards the SBS-1 and what not (and that I do not have), and most of that information is at least 10 years old and includes links that are no longer valid. The whole...follow this link to Bones' Tutorial that is embedded in the Operator_Logo .pdf you referred me to, that is "essential reading" comes to mind. That link is from 2009 and is not even a working valid link anymore. Some(most?) things appear to need a modern update, especially if it is considered "essential reading" and is provided as a resource for those of us learning.  I even tried to go direct to Kinetic (http://www.kinetic.co.uk/) and that site doesn't even load. I haven't looked into it, but I get the distinct impression that Kinetic and their hardware/software and anything involved in this is long obsolete. This whole research/learning process and the websites seen during it the last two days has been a flashback to the mid 2000's..lol.  I am trying to learn this, but it's been a bit of a hurdle for someone that is new to it. I sorta feel like I am trying to learn to jury rig and hack old defunct things to work with new functional things. I do appreciate your patience with me as I learn though, as difficult as it has been.

How 225

As you say, some of the information on SBS has become obsolete over the years but a lot of the information is still available, much of it on this site.  For example, the Kinetic Basestation software has recently been added after the recent demise of the kinetic.co.uk website. FYI, the Bones Tutorial is still available at http://woodair.net/SBS/Article/Barebones.htm and although some of the links within it no longer work, the information is still very useful.
Howard
How 225

tchawk

Thank you for the updated link. Perhaps the powers that be can update the .pdf with that new link.

I am finding a little bit here and there to get to where I have so far, along with information that Anmer has provided to me within these posts. I just have to sift a bit more since I don't utilize the SBS receivers. I can't even utilize BaseStation at this point since it can't communicate properly with my Pi without ModeSMixer2 installed on my Pi (which I am working on), so will get to learning BaseStation, BaseStation Reporter and their functions once I can actually use it/them.