Welcome to Radarspotting. Please login or sign up.

May 01, 2024, 04:07:05 AM

Login with username, password and session length

New Members

New Members

You should get an activation email when you join.  If not, please use the Contact option.

Mode-S Beast Flightaware RockPi-S 512 MB

Started by Liveatc, February 05, 2023, 12:49:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Liveatc

Hello , I have a Mode-S Beast from the receiver
Flightaware , I bought a RockPi-S 512 MB and want to connect it to the receiver and run the beast-splitter . How do I get it hooked up and running? If you can go step by step, I'm not very good with linux commands.

Anmer

Do you only have the receiver from the FlightAware FlightFeeder?  Or the whole device?
Here to Help.

Anmer

My kit is packed away as I rebuild my office.  Does the receiver have a USB port?
Here to Help.

Liveatc

Connected, coming from the receiver via USB0

Anmer

You need to install a ModeS message decoder on the RPi.  Something like PiAware.
Here to Help.

Liveatc

Found it on the website https://discussions.flightaware.com/t/new-install-of-piaware-3-cant-communicate-with-beast/37369/23#h-64-bit-beast-splitter-beast-splitter_71_arm64deb-uploaded-to-github-1
I installed it and had no problems installing it.   When I run journalctl -u beast-splitter -n 20 I do not see the settings.  Is there a step by step instruction on how to configure these DIP .
The --listen, --connect, and --force options take a "settings string" which is a list of letters that indicates which settings to turn on or off. These settings mostly correspond to DIP switch settings that can be set on the Beast. Generally, uppercase means "turn on" and lowercase means "turn off". If a setting is omitted, this is a "don't care" setting where beast-splitter will not override that setting either way.