Welcome to Radarspotting. Please login or sign up.

May 18, 2024, 05:38:31 AM

Login with username, password and session length

New Members

New Members

You should get an activation email when you join.  If not, please use the Contact option.

Missing US military flag

Started by TurboCommander, February 19, 2023, 07:35:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TurboCommander

Hello, new member here. I've been running VRS for years but honestly since it was configure around 2015, I never updated any silhouettes or flags so I was missing A220, Hondajet, etc. So I updated silhouettes and flags, seemingly no issue until the military flights start popping up. They used to all have the same star and bars roundel flag but now the flag is just blank.

I have a feeling I'll be asked about sql. I used to have PlanBase or something but never used it and never edited BaseStation.sqb. Now all I have is the VRS database writer plugin but have not used it aside from basic testing to verify it works. My test was just toggling the Interesting checkbox on an actively tracked flight to see if it showed the change, which it did.

How do I tell VRS, for any military flight, what flag to use?

Although I've been running VRS for years, I don't really get what the silhouettes and flags are matched off of or what has to be present for it to all work.

Thanks for any suggestions.

rikgale

Hello

If you are able to access the database editor then you need to ensure that the info in the Operator ICAO field matchs exactly those .bmp files you have in your OperatorFlags (or in your example OperatorLogos) folder.

E.g. CNV in Operator ICAO field and CNV.bmp in your OperatorFlags folder - should be United States Navy

Hope this helps a little bit

R :)

EDIT - the silhouettes are pulled from the Model ICAO field in the database, as long as there is a matching silhouettes in your silhouettes folder (or SilhouettesLogo in your example). Flags are matched as above.

Auto updated daily ZIP files on GitHub

TurboCommander

Quote from: rikgale on February 19, 2023, 07:48:29 PM
... If you are able to access the database editor then you need to ensure that the info in the Operator ICAO field matchs exactly those .bmp files you have in your OperatorFlags (or in your example OperatorLogos) folder.

E.g. CNV in Operator ICAO field and CNV.bmp in your OperatorFlags folder - should be United States Navy

Hope this helps a little bit

R :)

EDIT - the silhouettes are pulled from the Model ICAO field in the database, as long as there is a matching silhouettes in your silhouettes folder (or SilhouettesLogo in your example). Flags are matched as above.

Thank you, very good info and that is helpful. I checked back on the example I posted and found this which I guess explains why there was no operator flag.

Edit: So where is Operator ICAO populated from? I just had another hit on a military C-130 with blank Operator ICAO.

Anmer

VRS uses a local database called Basestation.sqb.  This is where you'll find details about a received ModeS message.  That assumes the details are there?

A received message doesn't include aircraft details - registration, type, owner etc.  These have to be added to the ModeS (hex) record in the Basetstation.sqb file.

For VRS to display logos and silhouettes the database has to include an OperatorFlagCode and ICAOTypeCode. And VRS has to know where the corresponding bmp files are locally located.

This Guide may help:

https://radarspotting.com/forum/index.php?action=tportal;sa=download;dl=item43
Here to Help.