Welcome to Radarspotting. Please login or sign up.

May 18, 2024, 05:23:29 PM

Login with username, password and session length

New Members

New Members

You should get an activation email when you join.  If not, please use the Contact option.

ModeSmixer2 on RPi3b with PiAware Confirmation

Started by tchawk, March 25, 2023, 01:40:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tchawk

I figured I would start a fresh topic on this. I ran across VRS and really like the flags/logos and silhouettes, but they are not updating and I have lots of blank spaces where they go. I tried and finally successfully got BaseStation and BaseStation Reporter installed (thanks Anmer) and starting up after figuring out the missing .dll file issue, but it will not connect to my Pi due to what I am guessing is a port issue after looking into that all day. Anmer and rikgale have been great and understanding in helping this newbie to all of this, and Anmer suggested using ModeSmixer2 as an interface between my Pi and BaseStation, but I want to confirm I am going about things correctly to not mess up what I do actually have working.

Here is the file and instructions that I found.  https://github.com/abcd567a/mm2/blob/master/README.md   Is this the latest. most up to date and most complete instructions version? I am struggling to find anything that has been released in the recent past today, so just want to make sure.

Some information on my setup if needed to assist:
I have a Raspberry Pi3b that is using an RTL-SDR Blog V3 dongle and has PiAware on it. I am connecting to it via my home network via ethernet. Probably irrelevant, but I am using a DIY spider antenna as well. I first began feeding FlighAware a few weeks ago on February 27th and then figured out how to feed ADSB.fi a week later. I also put Wiedehopf Dump1090 on it. That is all that I have on the Pi.  I am pulling both ADSB and MLAT as I like to see the military aircraft around since I live near several bases. They are merged in VRS and it is working great and fine so far minus the missing silhouette and flag/logo bitmap images in the list section. I am also using a Windows 10 PC if that is needed or helpful.

Sorry this was so long, just trying to be thorough and thanks for putting up with my ignorance on all of this and the resulting questions.

Anmer

As I posted elsewhere, I'm asway at the moment so can't do any testing before offering advice.

But I'm sure you can run VRS without running the Basestation app.  But for the logos to display you need a local database with the OperatorFlag populated and a matching bmp file to which VRS is mapped.

If you want to use the Basestation app (map display) you need ModeSMixer2 to make available decoded data for Basestation to use.
Here to Help.

tchawk

Yup, understood that you are away. No problemo. I had hoped that maybe there were any others in here that might want to chime in and have some insight into this, so you aren't burdened while gone.

Yes, I have been running VRS for a few days independent of having the BaseStation program on my PC. That has been no issue and I really like it and its layout.

I am not interested in using the BaseStation maps at all. VRS I want to be my main map display. I just have the BaseStation app installed to get the BaseStation Reporter (would be nice to get it without the other) since you mentioned that I would need that to update the BaseStation.sqb database file.

Yup. ModeSMixer is the step I am on currently, to decode the information from my RTLSDR and Raspberry Pi to update the BaseStation.sqb database file using BaseStation Reporter. This is correct?

I just need confirmation that the Github link I included in my previous comment is the correct and most up to date one to use to install ModeSMixer2 on my Pi.

Faramir

The Basestation.sqb is a SQLite database and can be modified using SQLite queries. It is not necessary to use BaseStation Reporter to alter or complete information in the database. If you have DB Browser for SQLite (on Linux or Windows) you can manipulate the data in the database as well using basic SQLite queries.

tchawk

That is interesting information, Faramir. Thank you! I am......shocking I know......not familiar with DB Browser or SQlight, but I was able to get it downloaded and the BaseStation.sqb file loaded into it. Now to peruse around the application and try to figure it out. Perhaps some further Googling and a YouTube search and I will be getting somewhere.

Faramir

If you're not familiar with SQLite then you should look for some explanation video's on YT. Just remember that there's no such thing as Ctrl-Z in the SQLite universe so whatever you do, make a backup of your database first!

Faramir

As everything is based around the Mode-S (Hex) code, adding information to the row takes the form of an update query e.g. if you want to link a Mode-S code with the OperatorFlagCode (the Mode-S code and the applicable operator flag need to be specified)

UPDATE Aircraft
SET OperatorFlagCode = '[code]'
WHERE ModeS = '[hexcode]'

tchawk

Good call! Thank you.

Yeah, I am in the Aircraft Table currently and just taking a look around and I can see the columns of information for each ICAO with airline carriers, models, etc.. I'm just not ready to click anything yet..lol.

tchawk

Quote from: Faramir on March 25, 2023, 02:09:25 PM
As everything is based around the Mode-S (Hex) code, adding information to the row takes the form of an update query e.g. if you want to link a Mode-S code with the OperatorFlagCode (the Mode-S code and the applicable operator flag need to be specified)

UPDATE Aircraft
SET OperatorFlagCode = '[code]'
WHERE ModeS = '[hexcode]'

So it's not as simple as finding a line item for an aircraft and updating a single cell then? For example, I found a plane that was on my VRS map that had no silhouette, and no operator flag displayed. I looked up its Mode S Hexcode of A65BBC on Airfleets.net and that told me it was Delta Airlines. I then looked up that Mode S Hexcode in the BaseStation.sqb in DB Browser and found it under Aircraft ID line 494. It's Mode S Hexcode column had A65BBC in it, but every other column was 'Null', '0', or User String 1 had 'Missing'. The OperatorFlagCode column had Null in it as well. I can't just edit that cell to remove Null and put the code DAL in it (I found DAL when looking up in the gallery on here Delta Airlines) and click write changes to update that aircraft and in turn populate the missing bitmaps in the VRS list? I haven't had much time to invest in YouTube yet as I am also prepping for a trip across country to see my father that is having emergency surgery. What I did find is mostly videos on downloading it and installing DB Browser, but didn't find anything related to DB Browser and ADSB. I did see a few on creating databases listed too.  Again, It was just a quick search.

Anmer

I'm still away so have limited quality feedback!

You should be able to edit the column using the DB Browser.  But I can't test this.

Or download SBS-1 Populate and use it to manually edit/update a hex code in your local database:

https://radarspotting.com/forum/index.php?topic=12732.msg52335#msg52335
Here to Help.

tchawk

QuoteSo it's not as simple as finding a line item for an aircraft and updating a single cell then?

Well then. I guess it is that simple. Hmmm...  https://youtu.be/gIPvqazhZKY   At least it appears it is.

tchawk

Quote from: Anmer on March 25, 2023, 04:27:45 PM
I'm still away so have limited quality feedback!

You should be able to edit the column using the DB Browser.  But I can't test this.

Or download SBS-1 Populate and use it to manually edit/update a hex code in your local database:

https://radarspotting.com/forum/index.php?topic=12732.msg52335#msg52335

I will look into this method as well. Never hurts to have options.  ;D

tchawk

Well, I did a thing. This was a private aircraft with no flag, and I was able to edit the OperatorFlag Code within DB Browser from Null to PRIVATE, clicked write changes and it instantly added in the Private flag in the VRS list! I'll take the wins when I can get them.

abcd567

Quote from: tchawk on March 25, 2023, 01:40:26 AM
Here is the file and instructions that I found.  https://github.com/abcd567a/mm2/blob/master/README.md   Is this the latest. most up to date and most complete instructions version? I am struggling to find anything that has been released in the recent past today, so just want to make sure.

Some information on my setup if needed to assist:
I have a Raspberry Pi3b that is using an RTL-SDR Blog V3 dongle and has PiAware on it. I am connecting to it via my home network via ethernet. Probably irrelevant, but I am using a DIY spider antenna as well. I first began feeding FlighAware a few weeks ago on February 27th and then figured out how to feed ADSB.fi a week later. I also put Wiedehopf Dump1090 on it. That is all that I have on the Pi.

At the following page
https://github.com/abcd567a/mm2/blob/master/README.md

(1) The bash script for 32-bit Raspberry Pi OS installs following version of modesmixer2, which is the last one released by it's creator Sergesero

modesmixer2_rpi4_deb10_20190413

(2) The bash script for 64-bit Raspberry Pi OS installs following version of modesmixer2, which is the last one released by it's creator Sergesero.

modesmixer2_aarch64_rpi4_Raspberry_Pi_OS_20210228

Both these work OK for Raspberry Pi OS Buster (Debian 10) and Bullseye (Debian 11)

tchawk

Thanks for the link. I have it bookmarked for future reference.  :)