Welcome to Radarspotting. Please login or sign up.

May 20, 2024, 05:21:20 AM

Login with username, password and session length

New Members

New Members

You should get an activation email when you join.  If not, please use the Contact option.

Can a SBS 3 connect to a Pi

Started by skippyinspace, June 06, 2023, 05:20:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

skippyinspace

Im wanting to run my SBS 3 24/7 but the PC is generating too much heat to do this, Can I replace the PC with a PI and if so how.

Thanks

Anmer

I think you have a number of options.

1. Use ModeSMixer running on an RPi (24x7) to "connect" to the SBS-3 (powered directly and connected to your loocal network via Ethernet) and then make the data available for Basestation running on the PC (when required).  This may help:

https://radarspotting.com/forum/index.php?topic=15446.msg90009#msg90009

2. Replace the SBS-3 with a suitable SDR "dongle" and install PiAware on the RPi, running 24x7.  I found this the easiest solution (and also feed FlightAware and FR24 to get free Enterprise and Business accounts) and then use ModeSMixer running on the PC to feed Basestation whenever I want to use it there.

This may help:

https://radarspotting.com/forum/index.php?topic=15775.msg101196#msg101196

There are probably alternative options/configurations that other members may suggest.  And lots of historical posts on this forum.  The key is ModeSMixer if you want to continue using Basestation,
Here to Help.

rikgale

Anmer has suggested 2 alternatives there is a third and the key is ModeSMixer.

Using ModeSMixer2 running on a Pi you can connect direct via USB and then rebroadcast acorss your network in whatever message format you want (e.g. SBS, Beast).

I ran an SBS-3 wirelessly off a Pi Zero 2 for a little while. I'll try and dig out the SD Card and get it fired up and post my settings.

Auto updated daily ZIP files on GitHub

skippyinspace

Thanks all, Will have a look at this in the next month or so, after I check the 2 pis I have lying around.

boro

I was interested in the comments regarding running an SBS3 on a Pi instead of a PC as I would like to run the SBS3 24/7 as well. What I would like to know is, with the SBS3 running on a Pi can I still access Basestation reporter as I find it useful to check on the arr/dep from EGLF, my local airport.

Peter

Anmer

If you want to update your Basestation sqb database with received data you'll need to run Basestation on a PC.  Reporter is just the sqb database file viewer and editor.

Bear that in mind.
Here to Help.

rikgale

Apologies for not posting up my settings for MM2/SBS3 over USB on a Pi as previously mentioned. Other aspects of the hobby (HFDL) and family have distracted me over the last week. I will endeavour to sort that this week.

boro

Thanks for the information, it was as I thought, I appreciate reporter is just the SQB database viewer and editor so, for the time being, I think I will just carry on running Basestation/SBS3 on the PC.

Cheers

rikgale

Better late than never - with pictures.

Below is the the code that I use to link a Pi to my SBS-3. I have also added a docker compose file used to create a container which as mm2 pre-installed into it and the necessary parameters to get it working with the SBS-3. The code outputs Beast/AVR format on port 30005, Basestation format on 30003 and SBS10001 format on port 10002, the website port of mm2 is set to 6081.

/usr/local/bin/modesmixer2 --inSerial /dev/ttyUSB1:3000000:none --outServer beast:30005 --outServer msg:30003 --outServer sbs10001:10002 --web 6081 --location XXXXX:YYYYYY

Docker compose for mm2 with SBS-3 as a usb input.
  mm2BS:
    image: mikenye/modesmixer2:latest
    tty: true
    container_name: mm2BS
    privileged: true
    restart: always
    devices:
      - /dev/bus/usb:/dev/bus/usb
    environment:
      - MM2_WEB=6081
      - TZ=${FEEDER_TZ}
      - MM2_LOCATION=${FEEDER_LAT}:${FEEDER_LONG}
      - MM2_INSERIAL=/dev/ttyUSB1:3000000:none
      - MM2_OUTSERVER=beast:30005;msg:30003;sbs10001:10002
    ports:
      - 30005:30005
      - 30003:30003
      - 10002:10002
      - 6081:6081

I have attached some pictures of it in action to show that only usb is connect to the SBS-3 (and and antenna cable) and that only the SBS-3 is connected to the Pi + power - Look Ma, No network cable! Of course you can plug a network cable it, but this just shows you can run an SBS-3 from whereever you have power and a wifi signal. There is also a pic of a tar1090 with the SBS-3 being fed into it and Basestation with the network details for the Pi.

boro

An interesting setup you have got there rikgale with the SBS3, whether I will go down that road I am not sure, but it shows what can be done. I may well get a dongle and run that off a Pi 24hrs in addition to running the SBS3. As a side issue I have still got a SBS1e which I might boot up one day to see if it is still working.

rikgale

It's not really a set up I use. The SBS-3 is for sale and I just plugged it in to show what is possible. :)

Good luck whatever route you go down.

skippyinspace

Brillient, Thnks for that, Ill have a look at this at some point in the next month. Working away so noy getting time to play. But looks good