Welcome to Radarspotting. Please login or sign up.

May 18, 2024, 05:23:34 PM

Login with username, password and session length

New Members

New Members

You should get an activation email when you join.  If not, please use the Contact option.

BaseStation and RTL1090/Dump1090?

Started by Frank, July 29, 2023, 01:59:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Frank

Hello, I am new to Basestation and trying to get it running. I am a user of RTL1090 and Virtual Radar. My question is, (1) can I run basestation with RTL1090 or Dump1090? Or (2) do I have to run the Modesmixer for it to work and not the other 2 data programs? if Modesmixer is required, I can't seem to get the batch file settings correct and it either hangs or crashes. Basestation looks pretty cool to check out and I like all the features with it. Can I use BS and some other program or device besides a SDS device? running Win7 32bit, radarbox flightstick, outdoor tuned 1090 antenna up at 30 feet on a tower. Current range is approx 200 miles from my location. regards Frank

Anmer

Welcome.

I assume (big mistake, I know) that either RTL1090 and Dump1090 output decoded data on a known port?  If this is the case, ModeSMixer2 can be used to output the data in Basestation usable format on a noninated port.

I use a FlightAware Prostick with an RPi running PiAware.  My PiAware shares data to FlightAware (and FR24) and provides decoded data for ADS-B (port 30005) and FlightAware MLAT plots (port 30105) for aircraft in my feed.  Basestation is configured to connect using "Network" to the IP address of the device running ModeSMixer2 on port 10002.  Basestation is a Windows application.

This is my ModeSMixer.bat file:

@echo off
CMD /c I:\MSM2\modesmixer2.exe --inConnect 192.168.1.136:30005 --inConnect 192.168.1.136:30105 --filter-nocountry --outServer sbs10001:10002
exit

The filter-nocountry ignores an issue with country flags and can be omitted.

This diagram may help.

https://flightaware.com/adsb/piaware/about

Please get back if you have more questions.
Here to Help.

Frank

Hi there, thanks for the reply. Yes it does, screen shot attached. My inconnect, as it should be I believe as it works fine in VRS, is the common one of 127.0.0.1: 31001.  When I run the RTL program, and then fire up VR, it all comes to life. From all the reading I have been doing, I use the RTL1090 program, then run ModeSMixer and I should be able to run BS then. Did I get that right? Its probably something in the MM2 bat file I have messed up. I wanted and hoped that I could figure it out but not good at understanding the internal code stuff, lol. I more on the side of hardware but I do more reading before asking. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Really would like to get BS running, looks like a nice program to use. VR is ok and enjoy it, a no brainer but BS has more to offer. Thank you Frank 

Frank

Quote from: Frank on July 29, 2023, 11:54:44 PM
Hi there, thanks for the reply. Yes it does, screen shot attached. My inconnect, as it should be I believe as it works fine in VRS, is the common one of 127.0.0.1: 31001.  When I run the RTL program, and then fire up VR, it all comes to life. From all the reading I have been doing, I use the RTL1090 program, then run ModeSMixer and I should be able to run BS then. Did I get that right? Its probably something in the MM2 bat file I have messed up. I wanted and hoped that I could figure it out but not good at understanding the internal code stuff, lol. I more on the side of hardware but I do more reading before asking. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Really would like to get BS running, looks like a nice program to use. VR is ok and enjoy it, a no brainer but BS has more to offer. Added the run command image and this is where it stays. Thank you Frank 

Anmer

Can you post the contents of your ModeSMixer2.bat file?

Open it with Notepad and copy and paste the contents.

Have you changed the Basestation Settings to connect via Network (not USB) and to use the IP address of the device running ModeSmixer2?
Here to Help.

Frank

Morning, strange, last night, somehow, BS came to life, had planes showing up, don't know what I did, but then it went blank. I pulled up the commend window and there were 3 lines on it, connected, then something about the sbs100, log in, then disconnected :( don't know what that was about. I tried for hours trying different things. Should have made a snip of it. What I am seeing thou, with RTL1090 running, and nothing else, the TCP indicator is off, and should be as nothing is connected at that time. SO when I start VR, it goes green, and should be as its polling it. So I shut that down, and of course the indicator goes off. When I start BS, it goes green again so I know its seeing and possibly connection to it. Shut down BS and it goes off, then start ModeSMixer2 and it goes green again, start up BS, nothing shows ups. Just to give ya a sense of what I'm seeing while I figure this out and hopefully give you the most of what it could be. I have different .bats that I have been changing and saving. This is the one currently started:

@echo off
cmd /c modesmixer2.exe C:\Modesmixer\basestation\basestation.sqb --silhouettes C:\Modesmixer\silhouettes --pictures c:\Modesmixerdata\pictures --location 42.25:071.25 --inConnect 127.0.0.1:31001  --outServer sbs10001:10001
PAUSE
exit

And the command window currently showing:

2023-07-30 08:53:11.926  INFO     ModeSMixer2 v.20190413
2023-07-30 08:53:11.926  INFO     Magnetic declination calculated
2023-07-30 08:53:11.926  INFO     outServer(sbs10001:10001) started
2023-07-30 08:53:11.946  INFO     inConnect(127.0.0.1:31001) connecting 127.0.0.
1:31001
2023-07-30 08:53:11.946  INFO     inConnect(127.0.0.1:31001) connected
2023-07-30 08:53:12.156  INFO     inConnect(127.0.0.1:31001) BEAST data stream d
etected
2023-07-30 08:53:21.916  INFO     Coverage area was determined
2023-07-30 08:53:21.916  INFO     Magnetic declination calculated

Yes, the setting in BS are set to network with the IP show and port above.

Thank your for your help and time.   Frank

Anmer

I assume you leave MSM2 running when you start Basestation?

Maybe edit the bat file to --outServer sbs10001:10002

@echo off
cmd /c modesmixer2.exe C:\Modesmixer\basestation\basestation.sqb --silhouettes C:\Modesmixer\silhouettes --pictures c:\Modesmixerdata\pictures --location 42.25:071.25 --inConnect 127.0.0.1:31001  --outServer sbs10001:10002
PAUSE
exit

And change Basestation Settings -> Hardware Settings -> Network -> Port -> 10002
Here to Help.

Frank

Correct, RTL1090 startup,then startup MSM2, leave running, then start up BS. Watching one of the videos by TechMinds,I downloaded putty and when I went to get it, got garbage on the output. Went into the RTL1090 config settings and selected AVR and  ASCII, checked them off and now I see the normal data stream coming in. I'll try the number change at the end and see what happens now. Geez, I haven't used Putty in so long, thats going back some years, lol but worth it for sure. Giving is a try now. Thanks :)

Frank

Quote from: Anmer on July 30, 2023, 03:06:48 PMI assume you leave MSM2 running when you start Basestation?

Maybe edit the bat file to --outServer sbs10001:10002

@echo off
cmd /c modesmixer2.exe C:\Modesmixer\basestation\basestation.sqb --silhouettes C:\Modesmixer\silhouettes --pictures c:\Modesmixerdata\pictures --location 42.25:071.25 --inConnect 127.0.0.1:31001  --outServer sbs10001:10002
PAUSE
exit

Question: when you start up BS, fresh, and it ask you what your using, which one out of the 3 do you pick?

And change Basestation Settings -> Hardware Settings -> Network -> Port -> 10002

Anmer

Quote from: Frank on July 30, 2023, 03:33:25 PMQuestion: when you start up BS, fresh, and it ask you what your using, which one out of the 3 do you pick?

Do you mean when you first launch Basestation?

Choose SBS-1.
Here to Help.

Frank

Correct, depending which one I start up, one of them starts off fresh, and you go this setting it up, selecting the receiver type, etc. There are 3 of them, bottom 3rd one down says Other Kinetic Device. Had to leave the PC earlier, sprung a leak in the basement, water line split. Back to trying this out again. Will choose the one now. Frank  :( 

Frank

Geez, I tried so many things, got all excited when I had those 30 seconds of planes showing up on the screen. Not sure what else to try, I so dislike a losing battle trying to get something to run, when it should, for the most part and get beat up doing it. Don't know what else to try. Is it possible that the ModeSMixer2 program itself might not be the right one for my PC? I know on the video, it tells you to pick the right one for your PC and OS, but since you can't get to the site anymore, not sure where or what one I have, believe I got it somewhere here. I'm lost. Rechecked Putty again, data is streaming away in it. I can't get to that screen now that asked me what I am running so I can make sure I have the SBS-1 selected. At one point, it showed up. Now it won't. Brain dead now  :(  I notice there is a debug option, I clicked on it and can see everything its doing, or trying to do, would that help you or anyone out there if I let it run for a few minutes, then copy it and paste here?  Thank your help and time.

Frank

Anmer, check it out. It was the 10002 that you told me to put in the network, port setting. I keep leaving it at the 31001 because my RTL1090 was set that way. So last resort, I changed the bat file one more time, change it in the network setting port to 10002, wasn't a quick show, but within say 10 to 15 seconds, the display filled up and starting showing planes and the right side panel woke up with 20 or so planes that happen to be in my area. Still running after 20 minutes. So cool, now I can play with the settings. Thank you for all your help, your the best.  8)

Anmer

That's really good to hear, well done.

Basestation is very customisable.  There's a Guide here that may help:

https://radarspotting.com/forum/index.php?action=tportal;sa=download;dl=item50

Are you located near Newburyport?  Spent a few weeks there on vacation a few years back.

Here to Help.

Frank

Hi, after I saw the display fill up with planes, I walked away and came back in 20 minutes and was still up and running. Pretty cool display, not as visually attractive as VR, but then again, it's supposed to look like a real radar screen, lol. Now to learn more about the program and what I can provide. Wish there was a way to show which planes were civil or military ones. There is a column in VR you can select that shows this, may be in BS too, just haven't found it yet, still learning. I wish, I'm inland, about 8 miles south of the Nashua/Boire, Nashua, NH Borne airport, small airport. I live in Tyngsboro,Mass. So about 25 miles southwest. Been there thou. Nice area! I'll check out that link you provided. Thank you