Welcome to Radarspotting. Please login or sign up.

April 30, 2024, 10:46:02 PM

Login with username, password and session length

New Members

New Members

You should get an activation email when you join.  If not, please use the Contact option.

Pro Stick on Mac M1 via Parallels?

Started by crewtags, October 02, 2023, 01:25:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

crewtags

Has anyone successfully managed to set up a Pro Stick (or other RTL2832U) to run on a Mac M1 or M2 using Parallels/Windows 11? I'm currently running Basestation using a Pro Stick on an Intel-based Mac Desktop via Parallels without issue using a Pro Stick.

I also have a MacBook M1 Pro and can use Basestation via Parallels but only by using my Kinetic 1090 Puck. I've tried periodically since purchasing it a year ago to get the Pro Stick to run instead but still get the same old issue with ZADIG unable to update the RTL2832U driver. I believe the issue is still the ARM processor ultimately.

I want to upgrade my desktop to a Mac M1 but not being able to run the Pro Stick (or any other RTL2832U) is putting me off from making the purchase. Any suggestions on a solution?

I'm happy to spend more money (on something like an RTL-SDR, Beast etc) if I knew it would work in this scenario. I've had an 'alert' set on eBay in case any Kinetic 1090 Pucks become available, but nothing in over a year, they're like hens teeth! The only work around I can envisage at the moment is using my Puck when I'm home and getting it down from the loft to take with me when I go out, but its a lot of hassle as I'd have to do this a couple of times a week at least!

Thanks in advance for any suggestions
Dave

rikgale

I can't answer your question, but if you go here https://sdr-enthusiasts.gitbook.io/ads-b/intro/how-to-get-help and follow the link to the discord server I believe there are a few Mac users on the SDR-E server that might be able to point you in the right direction.

Auto updated daily ZIP files on GitHub

crewtags

crewtags

In answer to my own question above, I'm happy to report I've found a solution!

I purchased an AirSpy R2 from Moonraker (£199) and it was virtually as simple as 'Plug and Play'. Here's the details in case anyone else is looking for information on this scenario in the future (it will also work with an AirSpy Mini (£129):

My current home setup is an RTL2832U dongle with Basestation, on Windows 11, via Parallels on an Intel Mac. I wanted to continue using Basestation when upgrading from the Intel Mac to an M1 Mac, but unfortunately you have to load an ARM based version of Windows on Parallels to do. I say unfortunately because Windows ARM does not allow ZADIG to update its drivers, and thus the RTL2832U will not work. I also have a Kinetic SBS-1090 Puck on my M1 MacBook (laptop), which *does* work on Windows ARM, just Plug and Play. So I knew I had to get something that was 'Plug and Play' compatible.

I saw that AirSpy promote their R2 dongle as being Plug and Play so decided to take the plunge and see if it worked with my set up. It was nowhere near as cheap as the RTL2832U based dongles at £199- but I'm a firm believer in you get what you pay for. As mentioned, the £129 AirSpy Mini should also work but this isn't as sensitive as the R2. Incidentally, the AirSpy doesn't have any instructions in the box, but I believe they are available online, but not for using with Basestation. The following instructions assume you have a basic understanding of MODESDECO and editing of batch files, which you presumably would if you've been using an RTL2832U..

First thing is you will need an USB-A to USB-C converter as the Mac M1/M2 doesn't have any USB-A ports. These are only a couple quid these days and I had one lingering in a drawer. As soon as the AirSpy connects to the Mac you get a pop up from Parallels that asks if you'd like it to connect to Mac or Windows. Select 'Windows' and also tick the box with 'Always connect" as well. This will prevent it asking you every time.

Next up you need to download the legendary MODESDECO2 program (lots of links on the forum). Open the folder and you'll see a batch file (.bat) called AirSpy example. This needs to be edited to read thus:

@echo off
cmd /c modesdeco2.exe --airspy --location 32.51:104.98 --web 8000 --sbs10001 10001
PAUSE
exit

This is assuming you have copied the modesdeco.exe to your root folder /C: - if not, change that to the location where you have the .exe file. The "location" (32.51:104.98 in the above example) should be changed to your location, with the lat/long shortened to just two decimal places. So if you were near Gatwick for example it would be 51.18:-0.18, however this is not actually needed to run Basestation, so don't worry about it too much.

Next start up Basestation. When it starts you won't see anything on the radar as the default is a USB connection. Like RTL, Basestation see's the AirSpy as a Network connection. So go into Settings, then Hardware Settings, and choose the Network tab. The address should be 127.0.0.1 and the Port 10001 - to match the Modesdeco batch file above.

Close that, and aircraft still won't be there! So the final setting in Basestation is Data Source, which is also on the Settings tab. Change that from 'Use USB' to 'Use Network...' and voila! everything should be set to use your AirSpy.

So from here-on is what you would do every time you want to use Basestation. First of all you have to go into the folder containing your 'Airspy Example' batch file. Double click that. A terminal window will appear, with a few line of text. If you've used RTL2832U and Modesdeco2 before you'll be expecting to see all the ADSB data scrolling through this window, on its way to Basestation.. With Airspy and Modesdeco2 this doesn't happen! At first I thought I wasn't receiving anything but if you now start Basestation, (with the batch file running) your aircraft will be there!

I'm not familiar with computer programming language in anyway, so the above is written, I hope, in layman's terms. If anyone has any questions on using an AirSpy in this scenario, please feel free to ask and I'll do my best to help.

Dave