Welcome to Radarspotting. Please login or sign up.

May 01, 2024, 01:38:19 AM

Login with username, password and session length

New Members

New Members

You should get an activation email when you join.  If not, please use the Contact option.

Original ADSBexchange receiver question

Started by F-GITJ, April 10, 2024, 10:03:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

F-GITJ

Hi!

I'm asking for a friend of mine who recently received an original ADSBexchange receiver.

He's located near RUN/FMEE and facing towards the airport (see map attached).

On April 2nd, flight MK288 passed right in front of him in the climb but wasn't showing on his ADSBexhange map while being connected to his account and feeding.

I also checked the ADSBexchange public website (without an account), nothing was showing either.

There have been several other planes not showing on his ADSBexchange feeder map, depsite all of them being there on FR24.

We've already had a look into his map settings which appear to be fine.

He's using the small antenna that comes with the ADSBexchange receiver kit, inside his room.

Any ideas where this problem might be coming from?

--------------------------------------------------

As a side note: I'm having the same problem using the public ADSBexchange website when trying to get the regs of bizjets around SEZ/FSIA and MRU/FIMP.

They're showing on FR24 as blocked, but many of them don't appear on ADSBexhange.

Sorry to bother and many thanks in advance!

rikgale

I'm not sure if I can help, but I can sign-post. To the ADSBExchange specific community - I know they have an active discord server

https://www.adsbexchange.com/community/

Or if you and your friend are up to reflashing your SD cards you could install this simple feeder image and feed every tracking site you can think of (and probably some you havn't heard of) and your missing aircraft might show up on trackers that are more 'open', like ADSBExchange used to be ;)

https://adsb.im/home

Auto updated daily ZIP files on GitHub

Anmer

I'm not too sure what an "original ADSBexchange receiver" looks like or what software is running where?  Can you enlighten us, maybe a photo?

Given your friend's location, it's possible his receiver/antenna isn't picking up these flights, whereas FR24 feeders are.

That could be the hardware and/or antenna.

An easy way to check is to do as Rikgale suggests.  Install PiAware and then check the local Skyview map.  If the aircraft appear there but not on the public ADSBExchange map, someone isn't sharing the data.  If they show on FR24 but not on the Skyview map, the receiver setup is suispect.
Here to Help.

rikgale

If the "oringal ABSBExchange feeders" had tar1090 installed then you should be able to access the local feed from IP-of-Feeder/tar1090 (for example 192.168.1.58/tar1090) from a browser. This will show you all the aircraft that the feeder can 'see'

F-GITJ

Hi!

Many thanks for your replies!

See attached photo for the kit he received from ADSBexchange (for free after application + import tax...), it resembles to the one you can buy from them here:

https://store.adsbexchange.com/collections/frontpage/products/adsbx-diy-1090-feeder-kit

He tried to open the local tar1090 map, but the page just keeps reloading and isn't showing anything.

I'll get back to you with the name of the sofware running on his Pi4.

Many thanks again!

Anmer

Thanks for that useful information.

I suspect the software on the RPi is Raadsb, a version of FlightAware's PiAware - dump1090-fa.

What antenna is your friend using and where is it located?
Here to Help.

rikgale

Not a bad little kit.
If as in the image you posted, that is there new version that comes with there branded blue SDR and little black antenna. (Not a bad little combo for a starting) and I see there is the longer grey 5.5dB antenna in there as well.
I presume that your friend has sucessfully gone through the set up process? (https://www.adsbexchange.com/share-your-data/adsbx-custom-pi-image/) - there would seem to be a link from the GUI to a local tar1090 map. Maybe they can click this an see what they get?
If struggling with this part I would recommend getting in touch directly with ADSBExchange to assist in sorting out the problem. If they have sent a free kit then they are keen to get your friends data, so should assist with set up.

F-GITJ

Quote from: Anmer on April 12, 2024, 09:51:40 AMThanks for that useful information.

I suspect the software on the RPi is Raadsb, a version of FlightAware's PiAware - dump1090-fa.

What antenna is your friend using and where is it located?

He's feeding Flightaware at the same time with ADSBexchange dongle and on his Flightaware Skyview map everything works fine...

He's using the small black antenna that came with the kit, located inside.

F-GITJ

Quote from: rikgale on April 12, 2024, 11:20:34 AMNot a bad little kit.
If as in the image you posted, that is there new version that comes with there branded blue SDR and little black antenna. (Not a bad little combo for a starting) and I see there is the longer grey 5.5dB antenna in there as well.
I presume that your friend has sucessfully gone through the set up process? (https://www.adsbexchange.com/share-your-data/adsbx-custom-pi-image/) - there would seem to be a link from the GUI to a local tar1090 map. Maybe they can click this an see what they get?
If struggling with this part I would recommend getting in touch directly with ADSBExchange to assist in sorting out the problem. If they have sent a free kit then they are keen to get your friends data, so should assist with set up.

Many thanks again!

Yes, the longer grey antenna was included as well!

I'll be happy to post an update when there's sth to report!

Anmer

Quote from: F-GITJ on April 16, 2024, 02:30:51 PMHe's feeding Flightaware at the same time with ADSBexchange dongle and on his Flightaware Skyview map everything works fine...

If the same receiver, antenna and RPi setup is showing aircraft on Skyaware, this suggests there's an issue with the ADSBExchange feeder install.

Is the FlightAware feeder installed on the same RPi?  And if so, how was this setup?
Here to Help.