Welcome to Radarspotting. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 06:50:19 AM

Login with username, password and session length

New Members

New Members

You should get an activation email when you join.  If not, please use the Contact option.

The TMRF-1090 - A Personal Opinion

Started by Anmer, March 14, 2013, 02:54:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anmer

Chris Taylor from Taylor Made RF asked me to do a review of his new 1090MHz antenna.  I'm always happy to test new equipment and would like to share my findings.

First of all I have a GP-1090 external antenna with masthead pre-amp that's been on my roof for over 7 years and still going strong.  I have no plans to replace it and didn't fancy clambering over the roof in the freezing cold.  So I rigged up a temporary mast in the garden and was pleasantly suprised to achieve a maximum range of 213 NM, comparable to my GP-1090.

There are plenty of external antennas on the market and I haven't tested them all and can't recommend which is the best.  All I will say is that an external antenna, located as high as possible and free of adjacent obstacles, such as hills, buildings and trees will deliver significantly more aircraft than the supplied magmount on the windowsill.

What I have discovered is that the 5mm diameter low loss CS-29 cable is a lot easier to handle that the 10mm Ecoflex that I have at the moment and I didn't notice any adverse affects on range.

My full review in in the Guides section.
Here to Help.

Chris-G0WTZ

Thanks Mike

An excellent review. I look forward to sending some more goodies for review soon ;-)

If anyone orders an antenna and mentions Radarspotting.com when ordering they will find something extra in the package

You can order the antenna from here  http://www.taylormaderf.com/page28/rapidcart-3/store.php

Regards

E:V:A

Hi Anmer,
Thanks for the review. But I think it would be more helpful if people could access your review, also without having to signup with this forum and post some pictures of your results, for immediate inspection.

Anmer

Quote from: E:V:A on March 15, 2013, 11:31:39 PM
But I think it would be more helpful if people could access your review, also without having to signup with this forum and post some pictures of your results, for immediate inspection.

I was always told that if you give things away, they're not valued as much as having to work for them.

Downloads are only available to members, as they are on most forums.  And since membership is free, as are downloads, I don't see an issue with that.
Here to Help.

viking9

Tom

Dreamliner787

hi,

What is the diameter of the stub pole on the TMRF-190?

I'm thinking of buying a Moonraker LMAL 33' Aluminium telescopic portable mast

and was wondering if the stub pole will fit into or around the top section of the mast.

regards

Tony

mhm

Here is a link to the photos of both of my antennas

TMRF 1090 and TMRF BS-V/U on my roof. Both were purchased from Taylormaderf. They work very well.

I have removed the link as photos no longer on site
Mike
Colon Cancer Survivor for the Time Being

Anmer

Here to Help.

IanH

One month on and the prices quoted in the review are a bit out of date. The antenna is the same price but with 10 metres of cable it come to £99-95 and £10 postage.

Not yet convinced given that I would have to convince SWMBO and pay for fitting to the chimney  ;)

Anmer

Quote from: IanH on April 14, 2013, 06:27:41 PM
One month on and the prices quoted in the review are a bit out of date.

Don't blame the author.  Blame Taylor Made RF Limited for increasing the price.  The prices in the Review were correct at the time.
Here to Help.

IanH

Wasn't blaming the author - just pointing out to anyone reading your article, thinking about ordering and getting a bit of a surprise (like me!).

Ian

birdie

Quote from: Chris-G0WTZ on March 14, 2013, 09:03:13 PM

If anyone orders an antenna and mentions Radarspotting.com when ordering they will find something extra in the package.

Just curious - what can the item be ?  SBS-3R ?
To give "Unique Coverage of WSSS" in www.Radarbox24.com !

Bethsalem

Having bored you all on Chat Box with my antenna's range  :) I thought I would post a screenshot.

As you can see 4X-EKJ is showing at 245.5nm. From the position of the TMRF-1090 on my apartment block's roof there is no obstruction at all out to this point and hence the really good range.

I just wish I had 360 degrees of no obstructions  ;)

[Attachment deleted by Admin to save file space]

Anmer

Here to Help.