Welcome to Radarspotting. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 10:10:04 AM

Login with username, password and session length

New Members

New Members

You should get an activation email when you join.  If not, please use the Contact option.

Buying a RadarBox? Read this First

Started by Anmer, April 21, 2013, 08:50:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Smudger98

Quote from: birdie on July 30, 2014, 01:07:12 PM
Quote from: Anmer on July 30, 2014, 10:33:58 AM

I have a RadarBox and would never recommend it for many reasons, mostly poor support and "stealing" my data and bandwidth.  Call me an AirNav "basher".  I don't mind.  It deserves all the "bashing" it gets.

Anyone here can also call me a " AirNav basher " and yawn or double yawn - I don't mind having that title.

*** Edit by mod following members complaint..***

Surprised it took so long to post your valued comment.. :o
Tomorrow is not Guaranteed  - So make the most of to-day !!!
SBS-1 User and a Tecno Numpty !!

GBfromDevizes

Thanks Anmer, at the end of it, I lost out by a couple of hundred quid and it was a lesson hard learned. I don't expect my two posts to persuade or dissuade potential purchasers of an ANRB one way or the other but at least it might help them to make an informed decision. A couple of my friends close by have Kinetic boxes and if I ever ventured into this market again, that's what I would go for.

And thanks for the "hello" earlier Smudger, I've only just seen it.. :)

birdie

Quote from: Smudger98 on July 30, 2014, 01:39:16 PM
Quote from: birdie on July 30, 2014, 01:07:12 PM
Quote from: Anmer on July 30, 2014, 10:33:58 AM

I have a RadarBox and would never recommend it for many reasons, mostly poor support and "stealing" my data and bandwidth.  Call me an AirNav "basher".  I don't mind.  It deserves all the "bashing" it gets.

Anyone here can also call me a " AirNav basher " and yawn or double yawn - I don't mind having that title.

*** Edit by mod following members complaint..***

Surprised it took so long to post your valued comment.. :o

Have been quite busy lately.

I am very Proud to be called a " AirNav or RadarBox basher "  - a Title I pain-stake fully earned - although it pissed off some people in this forum.

I will take my "AirNav bashings " to the Google Play Apps Stores to give AirNav some real " Good " Publicity they badly needed.

They deserved it for pissing-OFF their $$$ paying customers - I paid a HUGH sum for my RadarBox that DOESN'T work in the Equatorial Region.

When I complained - they sent me a software Patch that STEAL my data to feed their Server and Website.

Those innocent people whi intend to buy  RadarBox24 Apps must be alerted to the scams AirNav did on their $$$ paying customers who now SWITCHED OFF their RadarBox.

To give "Unique Coverage of WSSS" in www.Radarbox24.com !

glenn68

I looked into Airnav Radar box and also their paid for subscription software (ACARSDECODER) and the first thought that came to my mind was why should I pay a subscription fee to provide to AIRNAV my free data and bandwith. Is that not like paying your employer to work for them? It makes no sense. I am not bashing AIRNAV.
I paid for two Flightaware pro stick plus's and one RTL-SDR blog V3 RTL-SDR. SOme hombrewed antennas and one Flighaware ADSB external antenna. One time paid for Plane Plotter.LEss that 200 USD. I provide coverage to Flightaware, Flightradar24 and Plane finder mfor their buiness class subscriptions. Now that is reasonable. Paying a fee to provide data so they can sell it. That is plain dumb.
Glenn Blum
Central Texas, USA

Anmer

Quote from: glenn68 on April 04, 2018, 01:31:38 AM
It makes no sense. I am not bashing AIRNAV.

Others have come to the same conclusion.

AirNav claimed it sold thousands of RadarBoxes.  My guess, maybe 3,000.

Its sharer statistics, if believed, show only 636 registered sharers still using a RadarBox.  But only 183 online.  Where have they all gone?

But it has 782 using an RPi, of which 603 are online.  The biggest contributor by far.

AirNav has stopped shipping the ComStation and is sending out free XRange devices instead.

I estimate it shipped approx 1,000 ComStations, of which only 327 are registered sharers.  That's quite an attrition rate - nearly 70%.  Maybe turning off the ATC component didn't help?

It looks like 230 Xrange receivers have shipped with 163 registered.

In summary

SharingRegisteredOnline
ComStation
XRange
RadarBox
RPi
PlanePlotter
Others
Totals

The above was compiled from AirNav's published statistics but, as we have seen in the past, AirNav's prone to embellishment and these may not show a true picture.

But, if they're correct, it shows two things:

1. The ComStation has suffered a very high attrition rate (free equipment gone AWOL) and the XRange may suffer a similar fate.
2. The online sharer total of 1,266 is way behind FR24 and FlightAware with approximately 16,000 each.

Both FR24 and FlightAware offer all sharers a free Premium account, useful assets for the aviation enthusiast.  Conversely AirNav offers little.

Brandao's way behind the curve, as usual.
Here to Help.