Welcome to Radarspotting. Please login or sign up.

May 19, 2024, 09:50:23 PM

Login with username, password and session length

New Members

New Members

You should get an activation email when you join.  If not, please use the Contact option.

In deep sh*t - installing dongle

Started by knudp, April 21, 2013, 10:18:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

knudp

Hi people - please help

I'm trying to install a dongle to feed Flightradar24. I'm following the instructions as given by Gonic Goose http://sonicgoose.com/using-a-rtlsdr-dongle-for-ads-b/ and the Dongle is the exact same as he is using.

When I first pluged in the device window 7 installed some drivers, and didn't manage to stop it.

My problen now is with the zadig.exe driver installation. First time around, it came up alright but only had the option "Bulk-In Interface 1". Maybe I should not have chosen that, but stupid me.
Then I installed RTL1090, and it reconizes that the dongle is there but gets no data. One line reads "Cannot set freq:-1" I guees because the driver is not there.

Second time around with zadig.exe, there is no select options at all and it says "0 devices found". when I go to menu "Options->List all devises" it simply stops with the message "Zadig stopped working"

In the device manager the dongle does not show. Instead it show a keyboard device when I plug in the dongle (because of the "Bulk-In Interface 1" ??) .

So how do I clean up my act (and PC) and get back on the right track?

Thanks in advance. Enjoy your Sunday

Knud

[Attachment deleted by Admin to save file space]

IanH

My dongles are in the loft so can't check exactly.

My initial suggestion is remove the dongle and reboot the PC.

If you have a choice of USB ports, try a different one and then run zadig. If not, use the same one again.

From Sonic Goose (the vital bits are in red:

Uncompress the Zadig drivers you downloaded and run Zadig.exe.
In the drop-down menu select Bulk-In Interface 0.
If that isn't available then go to the Options menu and select List All Devices. Then try again.) Don't change anything else; just click Replace Drivers.

Now see if RTL1090 works.

knudp

Thanks Ian

No luck so far

I managed to roll back the initial installation and start over.

BUT, when I start zadig it only gives the option "Bulk-In Interface 1", not "0"

AND when I go to the Options menu and List all Devices, the program terminates with i generic windows message to that effect.

Is there and other way I can sneak the drive into places?

Knud

IanH

Also found various attempts to fix similar problem:

https://groups.google.com/forum/?fromgroups=#!topic/ultra-cheap-sdr/ejWrX4LHaeY

Probably the most relevant are:

make sure you are using the correct version of zadig - there is a separate version for WinXP

find the dongle in Device Manager (might be in sound, video controllers) and uninstall it (right click on it for the option) - suggest reboot after that

try running zadig as administrator

Ian

Anmer

When you start RTL1090 does it find the dongle? In your first screenshot it did.

There are some settings for feeding FR24 which I can explain later but let's get RTL1090 seeing the device first.
Here to Help.

knudp

Quote from: Anmer on April 21, 2013, 12:56:36 PM
When you start RTL1090 does it find the dongle? In your first screenshot it did.

There are some settings for feeding FR24 which I can explain later but let's get RTL1090 seeing the device first.
Now I have been back and forth a few time and it is hard to keep track of the consequences of each step I have taken.

At the moment the device does not show up in zadig. TRL1090 sees it but different message now

For some reason Windows has installed keyboard  drivers for the devices.
If I remove all the drivers,it has then shown up in zadig but not any more
If I choose Options->List all devices Zadig terminates

I have been round the above a few times. Last time around windows did not install the keyboard drivers but instead a "Unknown device #1 (Interface 1)" (sorry screen shot is in danish)

Anmer

Zadig is a only utility to load drivers that already exist on your PC.

If you start RTL1090 does it find the DVB-T USB device?
Here to Help.

knudp

Quote from: Anmer on April 21, 2013, 01:37:47 PM
Zadig is a only utility to load drivers that already exist on your PC.

If you start RTL1090 does it find the DVB-T USB device?
Just updated my post. yes it sees it but different message

knudp

Sorry Anmer

Have to run away for an hour. But realy appreciate the help!!

Knud

Anmer

That suggests the wrong drivers are installed.
Here to Help.

IanH

Or not all drivers are installed?

http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/rtl1090_english/message/155

In my RTL1090 folder I have the following files:

rtl1090.exe
rtl1090.ini
msvcr100.dll
libusb-1.0dll
rtlsdr.dll

Anmer

Quote from: IanH on April 21, 2013, 01:55:20 PM
Or not all drivers are installed?

I don't think so.

If any of the folder files are missing RTL1090 won't load, but it does.

It can't find the Bulk Interface driver.  And having spent many days trying to fix a wrong driver and failing, I have seen that error message more times than I care to remember.

Here to Help.

knudp

I think the core problem is that Zadig is not working correctly on my laptop. When I choose Options->List all devices it terminates no matter if the dongle is attached or not.

The "Go and look what devices are there" part doesn't work, and from that follows that no drivers are replaced.
Would there be another way than zadig to pick the drivers?

Anmer

What version of Zadig are you using?
Here to Help.

kered

zadig names/detects the rtl as bulkinterface 1, and also bulkinterface 0, so you started of right, you have to install twice, one for each.

if the install went wrong(or you used the cd) You can also use the option "Extract files only don't install", extract to a folder on your PC, then go into the device manager and find the dongle, update driver- have disk and navigate to where you extracted the driver to and select it, you'll have to do it twice one for each bulkinterface or whatever it was named by windows.
That was how i sorted it on Smudgers lappy as he had used the cd that came with the dongle. Then for good measure i rebooted and reinstalled again just to make sure.