Welcome to Radarspotting. Please login or sign up.

May 20, 2024, 06:11:48 AM

Login with username, password and session length

New Members

New Members

You should get an activation email when you join.  If not, please use the Contact option.

In deep sh*t - installing dongle

Started by knudp, April 21, 2013, 10:18:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

IanH

I grabbed a dongle and tried to re-install on this PC. Then I remembered it wouldn't work previously and unsurprisingly I got the Error -12.

Spent some time trying to fix without success. I'll try the suggestion.

For info this is on 64 bit Win7. Not had any problems on 32bit WinXP.

Found a comment that perhaps Win7 updates have killed the Zadig install. But most people reporting this error get no joy from the replies - NOBODY KNOWS is my impression.

Error -12 seems to mean that something else already has claimed the dongle. Ok but what?

knudp has reminded me how frustrated I am by this.

Ian

kered

My system is W7 x64, when i plugged in my second dongle i just asumed that it would select the zadig driver but it didn't so i had to go through the rigmarole again and do it the way mentioned in my last post.

knudp

Quote from: kered on April 21, 2013, 08:52:49 PM
zadig names/detects the rtl as bulkinterface 1, and also bulkinterface 0, so you started of right, you have to install twice, one for each.

if the install went wrong(or you used the cd) You can also use the option "Extract files only don't install", extract to a folder on your PC, then go into the device manager and find the dongle, update driver- have disk and navigate to where you extracted the driver to and select it, you'll have to do it twice one for each bulkinterface or whatever it was named by windows.
That was how i sorted it on Smudgers lappy as he had used the cd that came with the dongle. Then for good measure i rebooted and reinstalled again just to make sure.
I want to do what you suggest, but when I start zadig now there is absolutely nothing detected. No selection options in the pull down box, and if I go to List all devices the program terminates.

One thing i have tried is to add a new device which I called "ADS-B" by keying in the USB ID "0BDA 2838 01". That creates a file in a folder 'USB_driver". But I have not been able to associate the file with the device. I might give it another try.

I really appriciate all your suggestions, but it is frustrating resetting the system again and again  >:(

I the end it may work and I wound't know why  ???

UPDATE: this is the drives I've got now (sorry for the danish)

[Attachment deleted by Admin to save file space]

knudp

Right, so I just realised that I got a 64bit Windows 7. That is maybe part of the problem. Do I need a special version of Zadig or do I have to do something special in Zadig to generate a 64bit driver?

Bloody hell!

kered

Yes, i bet you are using the xp one

knudp

Quote from: kered on April 21, 2013, 10:30:43 PM
Yes, i bet you are using the xp one
Nope, I got that part right. The version is 2.0.1 (build 160)

IanH

Tried everything suggested by Derek (kered). No joy.

Beein in to safe mode to add drivers - no success

And in case it is of interest, this is the link I found earlier. If nothing else it may show your dongle as a "Composite parent" so you know where it went. I tried the method suggested without success. Look at last post in thread.

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!msg/ultra-cheap-sdr/CNnWetfFPq0/7T1BL233zdsJ

Not sure if it matters, but in "driver file details" for the dongle,
winusb.sys is version "6.1.7601.17514" - not 16385
WdfCoInstaller01011.dll is version "winmain_win8rc.120518-423" - Win8!!!
WinUSBCoInstaller2.dll is version "6.1.7600.16385" - wow the correct version

Interested to see what a working version has.

If any of those has changed the internal addressing compared to the 16385 version, it is never going to work. But who knows?

Looked at my working WinXP version - all have 16385 in the description. I need to set up some test 32 bit and 64 bit Win7 versions.

kered

working w7 x64 driver details

Anmer

Quote from: kered on April 21, 2013, 08:52:49 PM
zadig names/detects the rtl as bulkinterface 1, and also bulkinterface 0, so you started of right, you have to install twice, one for each.

My problem is I see the bulkinterface being "installed" in the Windows task bar when I insert the DVB-T USB stick but Zadig doesn't see them listed.  It lists the device name and reinstalling the drivers doesn't help.  RTL1090 can't find the device.

Removing the device drivers makes no difference.
Here to Help.

kered

Anmer, open device manager and then plug in the dongle and watch for the new addition, windows sometimes uses other names, once you know the name given to the device that same name should appear in zadig(list all devices) and is the one to install the drivers for.

IanH

Bugger - Dereks's screen shot looks like my set up, so should work. Head hurts from banging on desk.

Ian

kered

Try getting sdr# or sdr-console to work first then go from there, or even adsbsharp as no aditional files are needed. That way you know its not the dongle at fault

Probably a stupid question but you did put rtlsdr.dll, libusb-1.0.dll into the rtl1090 folder?

knudp

Am I right when I deduct this:

- The driver that zadig is supposed to install is what RTL1090 will use to manipulate the dongle (set freq.) and retrive data.
- However the RTL1090 software can detect the dongle directly regardless (via device manager?). It sees a ezcap device but can not set frequency (see screen shot above)
- Because of missing/wrong driver freq. can not be set and data cannot be read.

As I have shown above I have some strange drivers including a REALTEK drive.

I have managed to let Zadig generate new files, but when I try ´to replace drivers, Windows claims that I slready have the best drivers available.

knudp

Hi ..........

Tried one more time with some input from SonicGoose. No luck

- I removed the drivers and thereby the device in device manager, then restarted the the laptop
- Inserted the stick and let it install drivers. Funny enogh it now installed one drive I had defined prviously with Zadig - Gave me some false hope. (see shot 1, 2, 3)
- Then started zadig, but the program seems oblivious to any USB devices. (shot 4)
- Started RLT1090 to see if it got anything. First it claims to see one ezcap device, but ends up saying Device 0; Cannot open:-12 (shot 5)

Grrrrrrr!

Anmer

Here to Help.