Welcome to Radarspotting. Please login or sign up.

May 19, 2024, 03:08:42 AM

Login with username, password and session length

New Members

New Members

You should get an activation email when you join.  If not, please use the Contact option.

Basestation Working with Dongle BUT ...

Started by LX-LGN, July 25, 2013, 08:47:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LX-LGN

Morning all,

I have managed to get Basestation working with my DVB-T dongle.  :)

Now it's running I have a question. I selected the Registration column in the table on the right hand side but is in not being populated.  Anyone know why?

I am using the download of basestation 175CD from here (http://www.kinetic.co.uk/basestationdownloads1.php) and the instructions here: http://sonicgoose.com/basestation-and-rtl1090/ which are good but I have had to do a few other "fixes" to get running.

It's a bit irksome that the registrations are not showing.

Anmer

Do you have registrations in your Basestation.sqb file?

Aircraft transmit hex codes as an ID and we have to personalise the records, either manually of by using a third party utility such as Gatwick Aviation Society's AD Lite.

Have a read of My Setup in the Guides section.
Here to Help.

LX-LGN

Top Man Anmer  8)

Another thing to read on the way home :)

LX-LGN

Hi again,

In my set up.pdf you refer to SBS-1 Populate User Guide but I cannot find it.

Can you provide a link please?

Anmer

SBS1 Populate is no longer available.  Try AD Lite instead.
Here to Help.

Saudistu

There is a basestation.sqb file that is populated with a lot of registrations available on the ManTMA website. It is updated around every month...

http://pp-sqb.mantma.co.uk/

Try it with that one to see if it works.

LX-LGN

Thanks guys,

I have d/l Active View lite and it was working well (after a few trweaks and image d/l).

Saudistu does that .sqb file have the images reg etc in it (I have downloaded it) and will install later today on my laptop.

Just a question, Can I set up the Basestation up with multiple locations?

I have "Home" set already but I sometimes setup the latop at work (that would be one location) plus I'd take it to various airports when I go there.

Anmer

You can set different locations under Locations Manager and you can also save map views.
Here to Help.

LX-LGN

Saudistu

Registrations are definitely in that .sqb file but I don't know about images as I personally don't use it. I have on created from the database that I use for logging all my sightings.

LX-LGN

Hi Saudistu,

D/L it and it installed fine BUT when I try to create a log from today it only gives me one for 2007  ???

Any ideas?

Also I am wondering if I can open the downloaded .sqb file in a program and transfer the data into the my own basestation.sqb ?

KC135R

How did you go about getting Basestation to work with a dongle? When I load basestation I get the message "ftd2xx.dll is missing" and nothing else.

Regards,
Tom

Anmer

BaseStation is designed to work with Kinetic receivers, not DVB-T USB "dongles".

However, there are some unapproved utilities that you could use, in breach of the BaseStation licence.  I'll let others post details.

Here to Help.

IanH

There's enough information posted elsewhere on this forum to work it out  ;)

I use a dongle on my portable setup but I never use BaseStation with it. I find it too heavy on resources and hence slow. As a result I have investigated other options to use with a dongle.

I quite like GlobeSRTL1090 as an alternative to BaseStation. Free, interfaces directly with RTL1090, and shows cleared altitude in the same way as PlanePlotter. Not so pretty in that you can't add Operator Flags but worth looking at.

PlanePlotter isn't free but I find it works well driven by a dongle.

Another free alternative is Virtual Radar Server. Forget the ability to display your output on the internet and just use it locally.

All can use a populated Basestation.sqb to display details on screen.

For those who would like to use Basestation, Kinetic could have offered to sell it and hence avoid the licence issues but , As Anmer has stated before, they are not interested.

MrParanoia

Quote from: KC135R on February 03, 2015, 04:30:17 PM
How did you go about getting Basestation to work with a dongle? When I load basestation I get the message "ftd2xx.dll is missing" and nothing else.

Regards,
Tom

Step 1 - obtain a copy of ftd2xx.dll and place it in your C:\Windows\System32 directory

Step 2 - install ModeSDeco2 http://radarspotting.com/forum/index.php/topic,2978.0.html

Step 3 - create a batch file (.bat) in the folder that you extracted ModeSDeco2 to that tells the program which format to output the data in

here is the contents of mine from when I used a dongle and the Basestation software:

Quote@echo off
cmd /c  modesdeco2.exe --device-index 0 --gain 49.6 --freq-correction 64 --sbs10001 10001
PAUSE
exit

Step 4 - double click the batch file to run it and then launch Basestation