Welcome to Radarspotting. Please login or sign up.

May 17, 2024, 11:57:07 PM

Login with username, password and session length

New Members

New Members

You should get an activation email when you join.  If not, please use the Contact option.

ModeSDeco2 and ModeSMixer2 - console programs for RTLSDR and transcoding

Started by sergsero, August 09, 2013, 03:08:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oldfella

Oldfella

abcd567

Link to Github where installation guide and installation script for mm2 (modesmixer2) for various devices (Pi & PC), and various OS (Raspberry Pi 32-bit & 64-bit OS, Ubuntu20 x86_64, Debian10 x86_64, Kali Linux 2020 amd64, Arch Linux 2021 x86_64) are located:

Last update on February 23, 2021:

(1) The modesmixer2 is now run by user mm2 (previously it was run by user root).

(2) The max range curve data file distances.json is created and owned by user mm2 and is located in folder /usr/share/mm2 (previously it was created and owned by user root and was located in root partition /distances.json )

https://github.com/abcd567a/mm2

Aerotower

Hi Guys,

It's possible to change modesmixer2 map or webpage (html) in a Pi??

for example to show a skyvector map?

Thanks.

Mustang24

I would also be interested into a solution with a offline map! what ever map, even OSM.
In addition, is it possible to link the position to a GPS position?
My ModeSBeast and ModeSMixer2 is installed in a Motorhome.
Thanks!

airvb

Hello,

any idea for this error :

kernel: modesmixer2[3644103]: segfault at 55e3016a3c3a ip 00007f46c0db4dc9 sp 00007ffda34c6a48 error 4 in libc-2.31.so[7f46c0d1b000+178000]

It appears after few hours modesmixer2 running.
I'm on headless ubuntu server 20.04 with modesmixer2_ubuntu_20.04_x86_64_20210228 version

thanks !

abcd567

PROBLEM:
The 64-bit ModeSMixer2  (modesmixer2_aarch64_rpi4_Raspberry_Pi_OS_20210228) causes memory usage to shoot up too high.

Given below is 7-Days graph of memory usage on RPi Model 4 with 64-bit Raspberry PI OS and modesmixer2_aarch64_rpi4_Raspberry_Pi_OS_20210228

7-Days graph of memory usage

ANALYSIS:
Checked by following commands:

htop

df -h

Found modesmixer2 is using 78% memory.
Rebooting Pi brought down the memory usage to 3% but after running for few hours, it shot up again to over 70%.

REMEDY:
Replaced 64-bit ModeSMixer2 (modesmixer2_aarch64_rpi4_Raspberry_Pi_OS_20210228) by 32-bit ModeSMixer2 (modesmixer2_rpi4_deb10_20190413)

When tried to run 32-bit version on 64-bit Raspberry Pi OS, got following error message:

error while loading shared libraries: libssl.so.1.1:
cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

Solved by following command:

sudo apt-get install openssl:armhf

Will watch for next 24 hrs and see how memory usage behaves now.

s92driver

Quote from: abcd567 on July 09, 2021, 12:28:36 AM

Will watch for next 24 hrs and see how memory usage behaves now.

Keeping a close eye on this, as I do find I need to reboot the Pi after a while as things grind to a halt.

Steve

abcd567

Watched for 24 hrs, the32-bit version running on 64-bit Raspberry Pi OS / RPi Model 4.
Couple of hours after reboot, the Memory usage of modesmixer2 again jumped up from 3% to 28%

The 28% Memory usage jump by 32-bit version of modesmixer2 is still better than 78% memory usage jump of 64-bit version of modesmixer2.

Since even after excessive memory usage of modesmixer2, the total memory usage of RPi Model 4 with both 32-bit & 64-bit mm2 still remained within the RAM capacity of RPi Model 4, nothing came to a halt in my case.

jon92

My airnav radarbox dongle (on RPI4) is seriously overheating at the moment - I have a SBS-1er with ethernet that is not in use. Is it possible to use this with mm2 instead of the dongle.

Jon

jon92

Thank-you for the reply - I have had a trawl thru the posts & it looks like the only way to get an
output from sbs1 is to have basestation software running (I don't want this option). mm2 will connect to sbs but i cannot get any data output. I will keep trying different conf settings.
Jon

Anmer

Try connecting to the IP address of the SBS using port 20060.  With Basestation not running.

I can't confirm this will work but worth a try.
Here to Help.

jon92

Not working with that port, the only time I get the connected message in mm2.conf status is when
I use port 10001. I think I will have to carry on using the usb dongle and look at ways of keeping it cooler.

Triple7

Hi Jon,

MSM2 will connect to your SBS output and transcode to all the normal formats. I don't use VRS so if that's your diaplay, you'll need to check the output format.

Can you confirm your preferred set-up please.....

A) RPi running MSM2 connceting to SBS1eR via ethernet connected to your router - you can't connect your SBS directly to a RPi - as far as I am aware. Display software running under windwos - VRS, PlanePlotter, BaseStation??

OR

B) MSM2 running on a windows PC connceting to SBS1eR via ethernet then as above.

We should then be able to give you the correct code you get you going.

Thanks,

Tim
SBS-1eR, FA ProStick + 1090 filter

jon92

Hi Tim

My original setup - windows 10 laptop & SBS1eR both connected to my router, installed on my laptop - basestation & MS Access with a database linking to the aircraft & flights tables in basestation.sqb. I wasn't happy with setup mainly because the laptop isn't on 24/7 therefore missing a lot of flight data plus my aim is to setup remote access.

My current setup is - RPI (RPi OS lite) - AirNav Radarbox dongle - piaware - dump1090-fa & MM2.
all is working fine & and my database connects to basestation.sqb (MM2) via a network share on RPI, so I am now logging flight data 24/7. My only issue is - all the kit is in my loft and the dongle is getting really hot and possibly the cause of recent 'dropouts'. Therefore what I would like to do is replace the dongle with my redundant SBS. I'm not too fussed about the mapping MM2 is fine, the access database can tell me on google maps the start and end of aircraft locations.

Thanks Jon