Welcome to Radarspotting. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 08:12:35 AM

Login with username, password and session length

New Members

New Members

You should get an activation email when you join.  If not, please use the Contact option.

ModeSDeco2 and ModeSMixer2 - console programs for RTLSDR and transcoding

Started by sergsero, August 09, 2013, 03:08:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Keef

Hi Sergsero,

I tested this at work but have now set it up at home as well.

A small point, but my home PC is x64 and installing the x64 version of Visual Studio 2012 Update 4 didn't resolve the .dll error, I needed to install the x86 version.
It's not really a problem but is perhaps worth mentioning alongside the need to install the Visual Studio update.

Also you say:

QuoteThe purpose of this publication was help me to test this software in regions with intensive air traffic and large number of the received Mode-S (ads-b) messages. Unfortunately, in my region there are no a large number of flight aircraft at a time

I can run this at home where I will get a fairly high number of aircraft received, is there a logging option so I can send you results from my setup?

Thanks again for the software.

Cheers,

Keef.

coyotefxl

Hi Sergsero,

I've tried the beast format, it works better now, Beamfinder works well but what I'm not understanding is that I can't never get hypercurves in Planeplotter with lots of raw reports which works always well with RTL1090, always "insufficient data for fix", maybe a little thing with the timings. Also, the signal level is working but much lower as in RTL1090 which may be explained as when using the --agc along the --gain 49.6 produces less packet rate than in RTL1090 but in RTL1090, it's doing the better packet rate and better signals.

Same in --avr-mlat for the "insufficient data for fix" thing.

Finally, the Mode-A/C pulse rates window in Planeplotter is plotting dots but not arranged in any way but printed randomly in the window and so the "Log Mode-A radar pulse interval pings" is always unavailable because no good data is produced.

You are near to have it working perfectly and it will be a blast with the packet rate it's achieving already.

Luc
+qX

sergsero

Hello kdt1,
Thank you for the sent file, I used the data from it.
Indeed, modesdeco and basestation is enough for receiving signals, decoding of data, output streaming to network, visualization them on screen and maintain the database.  Another program modesmixer serves for merging of network data streams from multiple sources, or from physical devices (USB/COM), and data output to network in various formats.  If you have multiple receivers or data feeds, it can retrieve information from them, to ensure its availability in different programs (Basestation, VirtualRadarServer and etc.) simultaneously.

I think that values --gain and --agc must be chosen experimentally for your receiving conditions and antenna-feeder device. This values is better to do the same as with RTL1090, for example, may be "auto". To do this delete the option --gain from cmd. If you, when working with RTL1090, use automatic gain control in RTL2832 chip, then add the option --agc
If the system has only one single dongle --device-index 0 can be skipped.  Also --rbs only used if you need information about Mode A/C. In Basestation it is not used and can be skipped too.

Thanks for your help,
Sergsero

sergsero

Hi Keef,
Yes, it's my mistake. I forgot to explicitly specify that need to use the 32 bit version of libraries, because program is 32 bits too. I already made a correction in the text. Many thanks.
I will be grateful for any information, which will help me evaluate the work of program in real conditions of intensive traffic.

Thanks for your help,
Sergsero

sergsero

Hi Luc,
I'll try to find out the cause "insufficient data for fix". For MLAT modes I am a "blind" because I don't use them in practice unfortunately.  But I'll work on that and I hope to find a solution.  It is obvious that RTL1090 will be the best choice for MLAT now.

I think that values --gain and --agc must be chosen experimentally for your receiving conditions and antenna-feeder device. This values is better to do the same as with RTL1090, for example, may be "auto". The  signal level is displayed in the same 0-210 as it exists in the hardware receiver Beast.

Thanks for your help,
Sergsero

coyotefxl

Thank you Sergsero,

I'll wait for an update from you as it will be my preferred decoder when mlat works as expected. Thanks for your time and replies.

Regards,
Luc
+qX

alsvieira

Hello,

First of all many thanks for the decoder and your hard work. I am trying to put it to work with planeplotter but I cannot manage to do it  :'(
I have modesdeco running but cannot link it to planeplotter. I also try to use modesmixer but without success.
Can someone help me with it please?

MAny thanks

[Attachment deleted by Admin to save file space]

sergsero

Hello alsvieira,

Thanks for your interest in the program.
As seen in your screenshot, the modesdeco works and gives AVR messages on console.
Next:
1. Run modesdeco with the settings as you have now. The values --gain and --agc which are output maximum number of messages. You need to find the best values for your antenna experimentally once. And add two options to cmd for output data stream to network: --beast --net <port> --location <lat>:<lon> . For example: C:\>modesdeco.exe --gain 49.6 --beast --net 30048 --location 38.42:18.55
Now output AVR-messages to the console is locked but they are transferred to network. On console you can see only log messages.

2. In PlanePlotter settings select the type of receiver and its tcp:port as on attachment screenshot 2 and 3. IP is 127.0.0.1 if modesdeco and planeplotter are on the same computer or IP address of computer where running modesdeco if they are on different.

3. Next planeplotter setting is Input data as screenshot 4.

4. Press the green button to start processing and you will see in table:

and the same on map with Signal Level, Interrogator (II)/Surveillance (SI) Identifier in aircraft label :

Thanks,
Sergsero

[Attachment deleted by Admin to save file space]

alsvieira

Thank you very much sergsero. Now everything is working.
Best regards

Keef

sergsero,

I've been running your ModeSDeco software feeding Basestation for the last couple of weeks in a fairly high traffic area and it's worked without any problems.

Basestation Reporter indicates 50421 entries over the 18 days I've had it running so it's been quite busy.

I've just restarted the PC to do some Windows updates and have moved the antenna to a better position so am pulling in more contacts.
I'll keep an eye on it for a while to see how it copes with the increase in traffic.

Thanks again for writing the software, it's a really nice solution.

Keef.

sergsero

ModesMixer2 - release 20140421

• added HTTP output server of Mode-S data for Globe-S RTL1090 by jetvision.de. The server generates and outputs on HTTP Protocol only Table 2. You must explicitly specify all three parameters with option "--globes port:tablename:stationid".

Chriso

Is this program (modesdeco) running under Windows Server 2003?

Breitling

sergsero

Breitling

Thank you. I'm testing your software on Windows XP and Windows 7, seems to work fine on both. My receiver is a R820T dongle and PlanePlotter. This is the commandline I use:

modesdeco2_xp.exe --agc --gain 36.4 --beast --net 31001 --rbs --location 43.0030:-7.5533

One of the best features I find on modeSdeco is the ability to decode simultaneously both Mode S and Mode A/C with the same dongle. But now the questions:

- I can see both Mode S and A/C altitudes (pressing "C") as well as message rate. But I can see very few Mode S radar pulses, not even enough for PP to allow radar pulse logging. Is not possible to do with modeSdeco?

- Mode A/C pulses are not shown at all. Is it not possible to log either?

- What's the signal strength range (max-min)?  Just to compare with different gain settings.

I'd like to see if I can get better results for Beamfinder feature rather than using RTL1090.