Welcome to Radarspotting. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 05:30:56 AM

Login with username, password and session length

New Members

New Members

You should get an activation email when you join.  If not, please use the Contact option.

adsbscope fed by Virtual Radar

Started by DRL, November 08, 2013, 11:13:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DRL

Virtual radar supports 3 data relay server types.

Has anyone managed to get adsbscope to take a feed from them? If so what is the config used in net set up in adsbscope.

There are three server choices in VR - basestation - passthrough - avr

When I point to any of them adsb says connected but nothing transmits. Although with avr I have seen a couple of lines of data (on occasion) then it stops.

Am I missing something?

IanH

Based on this diagram, you need the AVR output from VRS

http://sonicgoose.com/connecting-the-ads-b-dots/

I haven't tried that but may have a chance tomorrow.

Edit: tried tonight and cannot get it to connect at all!

DRL

Well, I have fiddled with it every way I know-nothing. I can confirm PP has no issues taking the feed from the same machine same pathway same everything.

I must be missing some key piece of info if it has been proven to work???

Will keep looking.... I do like some features of adsb so I hope to solve the riddle.

Bethsalem

On VRS you can set up as many data relay servers as you like, not just the default three. I have four data relay servers in my set up, fed by my dongles.

From SonicGoose, "Start by going to Other > Network > Network setting. We want to configure the RAW-data-client port and url to match the AVR rebroadcast from VRS, so 33003 and 127.0.0.1. Click Close when done."

This will give you your fourth data relay server which should then feed adsbscope.

Stephen

IanH

Done that and nothing happens - connection light flickers and then stops. And that was on a PC where I had been previously playing with redirection of COM ports.

On another PC without any COM port redirection, I just get a "COM port not set up" error.

More to this than the simple instructions and nothing else on the internet that I can find.

IAn

Bethsalem

Okay.

Try "Options" - "General" - "Rebroadcast Servers" - "New" - "Enabled, tick yes" - "Name, type adsbscope" - "Format, choose AVR" - "Port, type 47806"

DRL

Thanks all for keeping the investigation going :-)

Ok - I have tried all the above and then some.

What I have so far is.... adsb raw client connects ok.
It even reports data quality %100

VR shows the client connected and shows the stream rate.

However - apart from connecting adsb shows zero - or sometimes 1 or 2 frame rate and displays nothing.

I feel I am getting closer but the best I can do so far... is more clues :-)

DRL

In case this helps some trying to do the same thing.

I wanted to have the option of adsb as a viewer on my day2day lap top-I run a dedicated "server" for feeding-not practical to observe. On the server I used Virtual Radar connected to rtl1090 as the hub for feeding. Creating appropriate server types for various feeds out. it worked fine.

I could get adscope to run over the network but only if pointed directly to 31001 the dongle output port. Of course this was already occupied by the VR server so it would get booted off after a few minutes. It would not respond when pointed at any of the VR server ports (over the network) no matter what I did.

It turns out I had set up rtl1090 with /30003 basestation box selected. This worked fine for connecting VR using basestation so I experienced no issues.

However unchecked it outputs BEAST which is apparently better when feeding a lot of different things.

I unchecked basestation and redid VR server to match, I then created a 47806 port AVR server on VR specific for feeding to local instances of VR.

On my networked pcs I installed VR taking a feed from itself off the server. I created the same AVR /47806 server on them. When I connect to these as local/"normal" with adsb it runs like a charm on any of my networked PC's (or point to the ip of the machine acting as a secondary server relay.)

Obviously using VR on the networked PC's allows all kinds of possibilities for running display type apps no matter the format needed.

Anyway, that is what worked for me.   

Bethsalem

Great to hear you got it working properly  :)

DRL

Quote from: Bethsalem on November 14, 2013, 03:45:11 PM
Great to hear you got it working properly  :)

Thanks. I now have the options of viewing on any networked PC using any combo of PP, adsb or the local VR webpage (and so forth) viewers without disturbing the min spec "server" which is a minimalistic Acer netbook running Win7 with rtl1090 which surprisingly to me is handling a variety of up load feeders as well.

I use Chrome remote desktop to manage the Acer from my comfy seat which works out very well for checking/admin from anywhere, in a pinch also another web wide viewer.

SBSplotter is also a nice touch - instant feedback when I am fidgeting with antenna designs/location creates a nice polar plot and useful info. Antenna brewing is the next phase, I need to expand range.

Anyway having almost unlimited choice remote viewing/server management was the goal and I seem to be there now :-)

Thanks for all the help.

D.