Welcome to Radarspotting. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 05:52:24 AM

Login with username, password and session length

New Members

New Members

You should get an activation email when you join.  If not, please use the Contact option.

The 1090 Puck - A Personal Opinion

Started by Anmer, January 14, 2014, 12:17:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anmer

Chris Taylor from Taylor Made RF sent me a Kinetic 1090 Puck to review.

What can I say?

It's small, light and portable.  It performs as well as an SBS-3, albeit without the SDR (Software Defined Radio) and doesn't have an Ethernet port.  But at half the price of the SBS-3, it's a good value, quality Mode-S receiver that ships with the latest version of the BaseStation software.

You can find my Review in the Guides section.
Here to Help.

satcom

Hi Mike

Nothing in the review about this , but did you happen to check to see if the PUCK is maode A/C capable ?

Thanks

John

Anmer

Quote from: satcom on February 06, 2014, 05:09:08 PM
but did you happen to check to see if the PUCK is maode A/C capable ?

Nope.

I was comparing it to an SBS-3 running BaseStation and only had the loan of it for a couple of days.

Maybe ask Chris at Taylor Made RF?

Since it's supposed to be using the same decoding as the SBS-3, perhaps it can?

Haven't you or Bev had one to test?
Here to Help.

satcom

No , not seen one Mike so struggling to clarify if its Mode A/C or not.

I'll try and TV into someone using  a PUCK  and report back.

satcom

Having checked out a Puck via TeamViewer , provided the correct selections are made in basestation and the device is set up for port 30006  the message rate function in PP shows the Mode a/c rate  as well as Mode S , and the Mode A/C sqwk codes appear in the a/c list in the hex code column.

This being the case , it looks like the Puck operates in the same way as SBS3  , which is good news. ;D

kl692

Quote from: satcom on February 06, 2014, 09:15:35 PM

Having checked out a Puck via TeamViewer , provided the correct selections are made in basestation and the device is set up for port 30006  the message rate function in PP shows the Mode a/c rate  as well as Mode S , and the Mode A/C sqwk codes appear in the a/c list in the hex code column.

This being the case , it looks like the Puck operates in the same way as SBS3  , which is good news. ;D

I thought the puck was basically SBS3 without the SDR function so I will think that it will work the same way as the SBS3. I have order mine from Taylor Made RF and just waiting for it to arrive here in Canada. I can't wait. It is the most expensive hardware I have bought for this hobby. I have the mini ADSB  USB and 1090 antenna and I get a good range up to 230NM but I have a huge hole in the middle where I don' see aircraft below 5000 ft so I am hopping that the puck will solve this problem for me.

Regards

Ernest

Anmer

Welcome Ernest.

Let us know how you get on when the Puck arrives.

But bear in mind that the data is line of sight and that hole below 5,000 feet may be a terrain issue.
Here to Help.

kl692

Quote from: Anmer on February 07, 2014, 08:09:56 AM
Welcome Ernets.

Let us know how you get on when the Puck arrives.

But bear in mind that the data is line of sight and that hole below 5,000 feet may be a terrain issue.

Hello and thanks for welcoming me. I have a clear view of the airport from my house. Planes fly right above my house when runway 15L and 15R are in use and also passes by house to lineup for 05 or 23. there is no Object blocking me towards the airport. I read somewhere that Mini-ADSB has a doughnuts effect where you don't see aircraft below 5000 ft.  On a positive note, my Puck has arrived in Toronto Canada and it is going through customs right now. Most likely will be deliver on Monday. Can't wait. I have attach my sbs plotter for today

[Attachment deleted by Admin to save file space]

Anmer

Here to Help.

kl692

Quote from: Anmer on February 07, 2014, 11:19:47 PM
What antenna are you using?

Omnidirectional antenna 1090 MHz ADS-B 6 dBi for SBS, Radarbox, microADSB-IP

it was ship from Bulgaria

kl692

here is  link to it on eBay. I have it place on top of my roof and I am thinking about extending the height due to lack of all around coverage.

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Outdoor-omnidirectional-antenna-1090-MHz-ADS-B-5-dBi-/201033544434?pt=US_Surveillance_Gadgets&hash=item2ece8872f2

Anmer

Thanks.

If you were to stand at the antenna installed location, would you be able to see aircraft below 5,000 feet?  Does anything block the view?

My concern is the Puck, or other receivers, won't be able to process data from aircraft below that altitude if the antenna cannot receive them.

Or your antenna is the problem, not the receiver.
Here to Help.

kl692

Quote from: Anmer on February 08, 2014, 08:14:54 AM
Thanks.

If you were to stand at the antenna installed location, would you be able to see aircraft below 5,000 feet?  Does anything block the view?

My concern is the Puck, or other receivers, won't be able to process data from aircraft below that altitude if the antenna cannot receive them.

Or your antenna is the problem, not the receiver.

I am about 13 kms direct sight from the airport. I haven't stand on the roof to try and see if i can see planes landing but I can see the lights from one of the hangers which is right next to runway 23 from my upstairs window. I try making my own 1090 antenna that was posted on the web and with that I was able to see a/c landing with the my $20 RTL dongle I bought off Ebay but the $140 mini ADS-B bought off ebay dosen't see it. I have a/c passing over my house for landing all the time about 5000ft or below and I don't see it with mini ADS-B but the ones above 5000 Ft, I can see them.

Regards

Ernest

Anmer

Thank you.

Have you tried using the home-made antenna with you existing miniADSB receiver?
Here to Help.

kl692

Quote from: Anmer on February 08, 2014, 10:30:45 AM
Thank you.

Have you tried using the home-made antenna with you existing miniADSB receiver?

I did and I will try again when get home from work in about and hour. On a good note I was able to pick a lots of free HD channels with my home made 1090 antenna (ota). Way more the than the one pay $90 for. my 1090 antenna can only pick up a/c up to 65 miles away. :D