Welcome to Radarspotting. Please login or sign up.

April 23, 2024, 08:43:48 AM

Login with username, password and session length

New Members

New Members

You should get an activation email when you join.  If not, please use the Contact option.

My Puck review

Started by kl692, February 11, 2014, 09:18:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kl692

After long debating on spending over $400 on a device that no one knew anything about other than what we hope it will bring to the field of our crazy and expensive hobby, I finally picked up the phone and Place a long distance call to my Mr Chris at Taylor's RF and matter of minutes I had invoice email to me and I went ahead and paid for my puck. After week of placing my order for the puck,  I woke on Monday afternoon with the package sitting on my dining table as the wife signed for it. Now I am face to face with my puck and knowing that it could be awhile before I stop playing with it once I get it going, I decided to walk by it and play with my kids for a bit then have something to eat before me and the Puck go head to head. After finishing my dinner, I walk by the Puck and picked it up and I honestly said to myself "Did Chris forgot to put the Puck in the package!" I mean the package was very light. Any ways Off I go to my computer in the basement and plug the puck in and install the software that came with it. And here we go, there was planes and planes filling up my screen, one of the reasons I decided to go with the Puck was that I wanted to see a/c landing at my home airport as my previous decoder will drop the a/c below 5000 feet and only pick up a/c above 8000 feet. The puck solved that problem as I was able to see them landing, taxing and taking off as well. to be honest the puck nearly double the average amount of a/c I was seeing before. It also improve my range as I was able to pick up a/c more up north of my location. I still I have a long way to go when it comes to basestation software but I am very very please with the puck and it was worth every penny. To anyone who is thinking about it, STOP thinking and go ahead and buy it cause you sure won't be disappointed.

Regards

Ernest K. Appiah CYYZ Aviation Photography

Anmer

Thanks for sharing that.

Which antenna are you using with the Puck?
Here to Help.

kl692

Quote from: Anmer on February 11, 2014, 09:30:25 AM
Thanks for sharing that.

Which antenna are you using with the Puck?

Outdoor omnidirectional antenna 1090 MHz . ADS-B 5 dBi

Regards

Ernest

kl692

and here is the speca for it

Frequency: 1090 MHz 
Gain: 6dBi
Azimuth: 360 deg
Impedance: 50 Ohm
Max Power: 50 W
VSWR 1,5:1
Vertical polarization
Wind Survival: 125 km/h
Temperature range: -45 to 60 deg C 
Length: 70cm
Weight: 540g
Conektor: N(f)
Box dimensions: 10x10x76 cm   

Anmer

Thanks.

Do you think the problem with not detecting aircraft below 5,000 feet was the previous receiver?
Here to Help.

kl692

Quote from: Anmer on February 11, 2014, 11:03:55 AM
Thanks.

Do you think the problem with not detecting aircraft below 5,000 feet was the previous receiver?

I would have to say yes and I read somewhere before that microADSB USB stick ADS-B 1090 MHz receiver was know for not being able to make contacts with a/c below 5000 ft.

ernest