Welcome to Radarspotting. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 07:06:15 AM

Login with username, password and session length

New Members

New Members

You should get an activation email when you join.  If not, please use the Contact option.

VRS Shared Feeds

Started by jonfear, May 03, 2014, 09:11:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anmer

Some years ago I implemented a data sharing network using a hacked version of the abandoned Kinetic MapModeS option.  Within a few hours my PC was crashing.

I then tried hosting the BaseStation Data Sharing option on a local PC.  It wasn't long before it needed hosting elsewhere and that's when FR24 offered to help.

Do not underestimate what you could be getting into here.

FR24, Planefinder and even dear old AirNav have been there and got the T-shirts.  AirNav's is a bit ripped and in need of a wash.   :)

And as Edgy has mentioned, some data pruning may be helpful.
Here to Help.

jonfear

Mike

Wise words indeed.

I really do not want to be FR24 or similar, just something run by European amateurs for amateurs. If we miss something, no loss!

I missed Edgy's point for some reason, I need to look at that and see if it can be changed....good point well made.

I am not sure I will get many more people offering to feed VRS-E. No loss, I am really happy with what we have. We should have increased coverage over Cork soon. A new RPi unit going in down there.

The VRS-E server also gives the VRS Dev the picture on how scalable his app really is. If I can help him by doing this, all the better. I think it is a fantastic piece of free software. My time to give something back, not just money.

Best wishes

Jon
3 x RPi + RTL2832U, 2 x home brew co-linear + Radar 100.
**** www.vrs-europe.eu **** Help us cover Europe! ****

taytay12

Jon

I am Happy. Because your system windows. I help you.
What is your wan connection speed? Sample download 100 mbps and upload 100 mbps.
Please your check Windows features inside remote differential compression; open or close?
Router very important. Later I tell.(Private message) My router model Cisco 1921-K9.

Best wishes

edgy

Like Anmer, I played around with port 30003 sharing, and came-up with a couple ideas, one was to quantize the data and send it via UDP feeders, and the other was to exchange SQL over UDP, and thus sharing database tables. The databases being queried at some seconds interval.

All, in an attempt at keeping from having TCP connects, by using just UDP broadcasts.  Alas, UDP was blocked by many ISP's and that was that :-)

VRS has a lot going for it, and I think the sharing part being quantized by some configured number of seconds, along with the current compression would be a great addition.

jonfear

Quote from: taytay12 on May 05, 2014, 06:40:58 PM
Jon

I am Happy. Because your system windows. I help you.
What is your wan connection speed? Sample download 100 mbps and upload 100 mbps.
Please your check Windows features inside remote differential compression; open or close?
Router very important. Later I tell.(Private message) My router model Cisco 1921-K9.

Best wishes

Not quite sure where we are going here...VRS-E is at an IBM datacentre with a very large backbone onto the net. I am connected to that backbone by a 100Mb link. The server itself is a virtual machine. I do not have any bandwidth issues....Certainly no router I can access. I suspect there is a Cisco in the mix somewhere. It is not visible to me nor am I am to control it.

As for CPU I have just checked the stats, overall 34.3%.

Jon

jonfear

Quote from: edgy on May 05, 2014, 06:50:21 PM
Like Anmer, I played around with port 30003 sharing, and came-up with a couple ideas, one was to quantize the data and send it via UDP feeders, and the other was to exchange SQL over UDP, and thus sharing database tables. The databases being queried at some seconds interval.

All, in an attempt at keeping from having TCP connects, by using just UDP broadcasts.  Alas, UDP was blocked by many ISP's and that was that :-)

VRS has a lot going for it, and I think the sharing part being quantized by some configured number of seconds, along with the current compression would be a great addition.

The one thing that Andrew the VRS Dev has introduced is the compressed VRS feed. It does save bandwidth for those feeding, by a massive amount over the standard BS 30003. This is something that I have worked with the feeders to do, All but one feeder is connecting via C-VRS. Compressed VRS is a compressed version of the BS format, as I understand it...

As an aside, I feed my WSLWx data to both FR24 and Plane Finder. They both take more bandwidth than my VRS feed. Both a parceling data for onward transmission...Go figure!

I think any further technical questions or thoughts need to be pointed to the Dev, he is much more in a position to answer...I am not a software engineer, just a lowly systems engineer!

I hope most people will know where to find him! If not please PM me and I will tell you.

Jon

edgy

Jon, He may be doing more than I assume, I haven't really looked at the source, just read the docs.

One of the things about 30003 data was it had a bunch of redundancy. For example I get a lot of planes that send their altitude 4 times in a row, and of course 30003 dutifully reports all 4 (even if they are the same)  :'(

So, compression would be bien, but deleting 3 of them très bien  :-*

jonfear

taytay12

Hi
This is a simple server presentiation but if is not easy.

[Attachment deleted by Admin to save file space]

jonfear

OK

Looks familiar to what I have for my servers at work.

My system is just the server and eth1 and 1x HDD. I have no access to anything else.

If vrs-e grows big then we will need a dedicated server and will need the setup you describe. Until then...!

Jon

Radio2.0

Hey
Does anyone share with me?
A friendy German put my feed online: http://planes.webernetz.net/virtualradar/desktop.html# --> Wien  ;D
(If some Problem get fixed) i share more Ground Vehicles.
>>> I looking for People who want exchange the VRS Data with me. <<<
I life near LOWW / VIE and see Ground Traffic too.