Welcome to Radarspotting. Please login or sign up.

May 02, 2024, 08:47:02 PM

Login with username, password and session length

New Members

New Members

You should get an activation email when you join.  If not, please use the Contact option.

Software for Mode-S EHS Decoding

Started by JScriven, April 02, 2014, 12:35:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JScriven

Hi all.

Does anyone have any experience in trying to decode the extended squitter Mode-S (for airspeed mainly)? I understand it's significantly more complicated than the standard ADS-B due to the interrogation that we can't 'see' in the downlink. Is there any software available?

Thanks

satcom

Not sure if you want to be able to do this yourself , ot you simply want software to do it for you...
If the latter , PlanePlotter combined with a suitable receiver will give this level of detail...including   TAS

Registration ZZ333
Latitude  52°47.462N
Longitude   2°39.244W
Alt 25000>14000' (-192 fpm) @ 1013.2hP
Flight no MADRS31
Mode-S/ADS-B rep. at 15:40:13
Recd. at 140402 154013 *Z
Heading   185°   187°M (roll -18.8°)
Speed   425kts TAS 456
ICAO id 43C6F6
Route *-*
Squawk 6402
Type A332    Temp -36.0°C

JScriven

I wasn't aware of Planeplotter so was looking at decoding the data myself. Having someone/thing else do it for me would be much easier :)  So am I right in assuming that Planeplotter hooked up to a radarbox receiver would decode the TAS, heading, ground speed, track etc?

Keef

Hi JScriven.

I don't know the answer to your last question, but this section is related to the Beast receiver and you have referred to a Radarbox which is a different type of receiver.

As the Beast can provide raw data to Planeplotter and the Radarbox cannot the answer may be different depending on your receiver type, or not, I really don't know.

It's small point, and I don't want you to think I'm being picky, but knowing the receiver type can be essential to the advice offered.

Enjoy the forum  :)

Cheers,

Keef.

JScriven

The receiver I'm using is a Mode-S beast Radarcape, which is a Mode-S Beast receiver bundled in with some embedded software.

Keef

Thanks for updating the post with the details of your receiver, from what I have read it's a good piece of kit.

My best guess is that your hardware with PP will do what you want.

I've used PP for a few years and love it, there is a bit of a steep learning curve but help is available from many places.

As an aside you can add your receiver type to your forum profile if you want to...

Cheers,

Keef.

satcom

Thanks for the clarification Keef and JScriven , yes you will get that level of data from the
receiver you have.

Not only that , using PlanePlotter , depending on your location , you may also be able
to see Mode S only a/c pl,otting on the chart , using PPs Mlat facility

As Keef says , it can be a bit of a steep learning curve , but the basic set up , using the built in Wizard can get you up and running in a few minutes.
After that , its as complex or simple as you want it to be.

satcom

...And I see you are UK based...so PP is going to be a bit of an eye opener for you.
This screen grab from this morning shows just Mode S traffic.....these are a/c that do not send their location data...in addition the insert shows the level of data you can see on screen....if you wish

Breitling

I will use this thread for some questions about Radarcape. Not just Radarcape but the FR24 box, I have two of them online. I want to take advantage of their superior reception (compared to a dongle) in order to adjust Beamfinder on PP, but I find some obstacles:

- Mode A-C is disabled on FR24 boxes, so I can't work with Beamfinder Plus. Any chance to enable it? Maybe asking FR24 directly?

- Mode S radar identifier pings are perfectly logged, so I can try to find radar locations, use Beamfinder, etc. No problem.

- But I can't log Mode S radar pulse intervals, I can only log two huge and permanent signals: ZS-00(56) and ZS-01(-1), not even a single interval ping from other radars. Why can be this happening?  Mode S pulse intervals window shows nothing

[Attachment deleted by Admin to save file space]

Anmer

What port number are you using for Mode A-C?
Here to Help.

Breitling

Quote from: Anmer on April 03, 2014, 04:39:00 PM
What port number are you using for Mode A-C?

Ummm.. surely I missed something. Where do I set up that port?  I'm using Beast TCP/IP on port 30334 for raw data.

Anmer

You answered the question.

Check with Support@FR24.com to see if you can get at A-C data.
Here to Help.

Breitling

Thanks, I'll do that for A-C data. But what about Mode S radar pulse intervals?