Welcome to Radarspotting. Please login or sign up.

May 19, 2024, 02:14:30 PM

Login with username, password and session length

New Members

New Members

You should get an activation email when you join.  If not, please use the Contact option.

GNS 5890 software

Started by gcopter1, January 10, 2015, 11:17:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gcopter1

Does anyone here has it available for download? None of my computers (Mac/Windows), has an optical drive. Just received my device today and I can't start to use it because there's no way for me to download it to my pc!

Keef

I'n not really familiar with this receiver or what software it uses, but if you mean adsbScope then there are download links on this page:

http://www.sprut.de/electronic/pic/projekte/adsb/adsb_en.html#pc

Hope this helps!

Anmer

I have a GNS5890 (overpriced DVB-T "dongle") somewhere and from memory it was using adsbScope.
Here to Help.

IanH

On the page that Keef linked to, you need to download the file here: http://www.sprut.de/electronic/pic/projekte/adsb/adsb_all.zip

If you unzip it, there is a folder called "driver" and inside that a folder called "for_adsbscope".

Point windows at that folder when it asks for drivers and it should load them.

One that is done, you can use adsbScope software included in that zip file - look for "adsbscope27_16384.exe" or "adsbscope27_256.exe" deep in the folder structure:

adsb_all27.zip\adsb_all\pc_software\adsbscope\27\

Other display software can be used but get adsbScope working first.

Let us know how you get on.

Ian

IanH

QuoteGNS5890 (overpriced DVB-T "dongle")

I got mine for the price of a dongle  ;) - remember that at the time of launch, there was no RTL2832 dongle or applicable software so this was a cheaper entry into the hobby.

Keef

Ian,

I agree, things have moved on quite a bit.
I bought a PGR as my entry level device and a £10 dongle outperforms it.

That's not a criticism of the PGR and I don't regret buying it, just a fact of life.

I'd be surprised if they sell many GNS 5890s these days, but as I've already said I don't know much about the receiver so I might be missing something.
But I think their claim that it is "The world's smallest ADS-B Receiver" is no longer true.

Whatever the technical/cost arguments are I hope gcopter1 manages to get it working  :)

IanH

If you look at my collection of receivers, I too bought a PGR - intended and used as a cheap mobile option. Doesn't get any use these days and not worth trying to sell it.

Like you I don't regret buying it - at the time no one was predicting dongles!

gcopter1

Guys, re read my original post...has nothing to do with the replies.

I finally fixed that. got my an external drive to run the disc that came with my GNS 5890.

Got it working, but, now I've got my sights set on using Plane Plotter, and that, it's a whole other headache...

Gonna take the time and sit down and read/follow all the instructions to make PP work!

In regards to the software that came with my stick, all I've got to say is it works but the maps leave a lot to be desired in my opinion. They're lacking detail, cant't find a way to eliminate the track left by the airplane. Also, I want to have a dark background, with the planes in green (easier on the eyes).

Keef

Hi gcopter1,

Good to hear it is working, but I do think you are being a bit harsh saying the replies have nothing to do with your original question.

You asked about GNS 5890 software and you received two replies directly addressing the question you had asked.
Yes, there are a few replies not directly addressing your question, but it's a friendly forum and people often chip in with a comment.

Cheers,

Keef.

Anmer

Quote from: gcopter1 on January 11, 2015, 11:36:59 PM
Guys, re read my original post...has nothing to do with the replies.

Glad it's working.

Does it use adsbScope or not?
Here to Help.

IanH

gcopter1

You couldn't load the software because you didn't have an optical drive.

You asked where it could be downloaded - we told you.

How is that not answering your question?

Geez  >:(

You probably won't like the answer about Parallels either.

gcopter1

Wow. Re reading this post today...don't know what was I smoking that I came across so harsh. My most profound and profuse apologies to IanH, Keef and Anmer!

Anmer

Quote from: gcopter1 on April 17, 2016, 12:13:50 AM
Wow. Re reading this post today...don't know what was I smoking that I came across so harsh.

Probably a bad batch  8)
Here to Help.