Welcome to Radarspotting. Please login or sign up.

April 18, 2024, 08:14:24 PM

Login with username, password and session length

New Members

New Members

You should get an activation email when you join.  If not, please use the Contact option.

Mobile Puck

Started by Anmer, January 14, 2015, 04:50:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anmer

Just before Christmas I went along to Elstree Airport to say "hello" to Chris Taylor from Taylor Made RF.

As usual, Chris wanted to show me his latest gadgets but my wife was with me!

On a more serious note, Chris was keen to demo a 1090 Puck running BaseStation on a Bush MyTablet.

The 8 inch tablet has had mixed reviews since it launched but includes a desktop version of Windows 8.1, all for under GBP £100.

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/2923020.htm

As you can see from these photos, the 1090 Puck and ADSB mini-whip antenna combo can easily fill the screen with aircraft, even when sitting on a table top surrounded by high sided aircraft hangars.

The mini-whip sells for GBP £20 and is quite unobtrusive, as is the 8 inch tablet. 

Could be a useful option for those wanting to use BaseStation out-and-about?

I'm sure Chris would be happy to do a demo for other visitors and provide coffee as well.

[Attachment deleted by Admin to save file space]
Here to Help.

IanH

That's much the same spec tablet as the one I have but I'm using PP and a dongle.

I could get BS working but I think the overhead is higher than PP.

My tablet is a Linx8. Amazon are selling at £90. I bought one in Amazon Black Friday sale for £80 and I found out today I have got the £30 cashback for sending in an old tablet (Blackberry Playbook) so worked out at £50  ;D

Ian

Chris-G0WTZ

I have just installed a Puck on a  Linx 10 Inch and got to say as a PC it is quick and so far been running for 2.5 hours and still going so we will see what battery life is like :-)
With the correct leads etc you can power it all by external battery and use it at home into a TV I am really enjoying Windows on a Tablet :-)

IanH

I've got a 10" Linx as well as the 8". Not played with it much yet since a recent acquisition: £80 from Staples (in a special deal) and waiting for £50 cashback  ;D   8)

Needs a separate power supply so another PSU to keep track of rather than just a generic USB power lead. Although it does mean power and USB can easily be connected at same time.

I think the 8" will be my choice for mobile kit although the text on screen is a bit small!

Mariner

Good Morning All,

Very interesting indeed. Am I pushing my luck if I ask can one install Aerodata and BSA on the tablet so that you have the full works?

Rgds/

IanH

No personal experience of Aerodata or BSA (?) but these tablets run a full version of Windows 8.1 so anything that runs on a desktop should run on these.

Only potential limitation is the 1Gb of RAM on the 8" Linx and the 2Gb RAM on the 10" Linx but apparently Win 8.1 is optimised to run on less RAM than you might expect. Also the 32Gb of storage space might be a consideration.

The amount of RAM is a limitation of the CPUs used (Atom Z3735G, Atom Z3735F) so cannot be increased. Other makes of tablets will be subject to the same limitations of their CPUs.

shakysen

I Wish one could obtain PP on a Kindle fire HD. Only get FR 24

IanH

Kindle Fire CPU runs Android

If you want to try  ;D - I won't be:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1459153

Anmer

Here to Help.

G6EZG

On no not more toys to go on the toy list

Ivan