Welcome to Radarspotting. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 05:25:43 AM

Login with username, password and session length

New Members

New Members

You should get an activation email when you join.  If not, please use the Contact option.

Installing ModeSDeco2 on a Raspberry Pi

Started by IanH, February 21, 2015, 11:20:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Conexia

Hi to all
One small question: what is the name of the file that modeSdeco / modeSmixer create for the coverage plot? And where is it located?

I need to delete it in my RPi to "reset" the plot

Thanks in advance
Antonio

sergsero

Hi Antonio,

In present version such a file is created only in the modesmixer2.

The .json file is created in the current folder from which the program is run, in other words - in the current working directory.
In this case, the program itself may be located in another place on the disk.

For example, modesmixer2 is located in the /opt/mm2/modesmixer2 folder.
In the moment you are in your home working directory, for example, /home/Antonio.

The startup command string will looks like: '/opt/mm2/modesmixer2 --inconnect IP:Port ...'.
However, the json file will be created in your current working directory /home/Antonio.

p.s. p.s. Modesdeco2 has been slightly updated for v.20180429 and is now available for download in the first post of the main branch https://radarspotting.com/forum/index.php/topic,2978.msg13471.html#msg13471

Best regards,
Sergsero

Conexia

Hi, Sergsero
Thank you very much for your quick response, I´ll look for the file and delete or rename it.

As for Modesdeco2. I installed as soon as I saw it, and is working fine.
I was waiting for info about the difference with the previous version.

Thanks again.
Antonio

fungsaihou

Quote from: IanH on February 21, 2015, 11:20:55 AM
There is now a quicker method to get ModesDeco2 running on a Raspberry Pi if you haven't already installed dump1090. See Post #5 for details.

You may want to check this post for some tips that are applicable to the new post  ;)

Started a separate thread to avoid mixing up with thread on development. Hope it helps.

I wanted to try ModeSDeco2 on a Pi but couldn't find the instructions. I'm sure they were here on the forum at some time. Anyway just running "modesdeco2" gives an "sdr" error. That made me realise what I needed to install.

Essentially we need the sdr libraries used by other ModeS software on Linux.

Assuming you have the Pi set up with Raspian and can connect to it remotely via Putty, follow David Taylor's instructions from item #5 for "Preparing the Raspberry Pi" at http://www.satsignal.eu/raspberry-pi/dump1090.html.

This was written to get dump1090 working but also valid for ModeSDeco2.

It is up to you whether you want to calibrate the dongle (I never have) but stop at the instruction that says "Now download the latest release dump1090 application source code."

Tips:

• I would ignore the comment about not upgrading
  • Use Ctrl-C or right-click Copy to get the text into the clipboard, and then if you use PuTTY you can right-click on the text area of the terminal session to enter the command into the Raspberry Pi. Avoids the need for typing strange commands!
  • You probably will need to replace the default DVB driver so follow the linkin the instructions. Nano is a text editor and you can copy the three lines using the same Ctrl-C and then right click in Linux to copy them. To save and close nano , use Ctrl-O to save and Ctrl-X to exit. Then reboot.

The system is now ready to install and run Modesdeco2.

I use WinSCP to copy files to and from the Pi: http://winscp.net/eng/index.php. You get a drag and drop file manager interface.

Copy the version of modesdeco2 for your version of the Pi from the PC to the Pi.
In PUTTY type lsYou should see your modesdeco2_rpi_yyyymmdd.tgz file in red text. Select it with the mouse (run the mouse cursor over the filename to hightlight it, type  tar -xvf at the command line and then right click to copy the filename tar -xvf modesdeco2_rpi_yyyymmdd.tgz Hit return and the tgz file will be uncompressed.

Do a directory listing (type "ls") and you should see modesdeco2 in green text (means it is executable). Just typing "modesdeco2" won't work - you will need to type ./modesdeco2

Add the command line option you require.

You can avoid retyping long command lines by using the up and down arrows to fetch
previous commands  ;D.

This has installed modesdeco2 in the /home/pi directory.

Additional tips:

• If you add a basestation.sqb file to this directory, you don't need to specify the location BUT be careful with the naming - in Linux, BaseStation.sqb and basestation.sqb are two different files. It seesm there is already software to read the sqb file installed.
  • If you add a directory called "silos"(note you can create it using WinScp, or using mkdir command depending on your knowledge) to hold all the .bmp files, the "path/to" will be /home/pi/silos

Edit: Comments and improvements welcome!

Not least how do you keep it running when PUTTY is closed? Tried "&" but not successful  :(

At last my ModeSDeco2 no longer run auto-start.
No idea what is going on.