Welcome to Radarspotting. Please login or sign up.

April 18, 2024, 03:34:39 AM

Login with username, password and session length

New Members

New Members

You should get an activation email when you join.  If not, please use the Contact option.

Micro RadarBox

Started by Anmer, February 23, 2015, 08:00:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anmer

Looks like AirNav has launched a branded DVB-T USB stick selling for GBP £59.95.  Similar devices can be purchased elsewhere for a tenth of the price!

The W&S listing doesn't explain what software is included, if any?  Maybe all one gets is access to RadarBox24.com and the "free software" just feeds the network?

Mind you, this must be the first ever DVB-T device "designed by professional pilots".  Another AirNav "First".  ;D

http://wsplc.com/airnav-radarbox/micro-radarbox.html

[Attachment deleted by Admin to save file space]
Here to Help.

mhm

Wouldn.t it be nice if they sent you one to trial.
Mike
Colon Cancer Survivor for the Time Being

Anmer

Quote from: mhm on February 23, 2015, 08:12:38 AM
Wouldn.t it be nice if they sent you one to trial.

Elvis will be seen performing live on the moon before that happens.  ;)
Here to Help.

Anmer

The more I think about this, the Micro RadarBox is just a standard DVB-T "dongle" selling at ten times the normal price.

The Waters & Stanton blurb with (very poor spelling):

"The package comprises a "dongle" style reciever (sic)  together with USB lead and antenna. You need to have your own radvar (sic) display. Download the free software with no password or registration needed. All you need is a Windows based PC or laptop."

This suggests that the packgae is just a standard DVB-T receiver and the free, downloadable software is to feed the AirNav network.

To view local aircraft requires "your own radar display", such as PlanePlotter or VRS. 

Looks like another smoke and mirrors AirNav product release.
Here to Help.

Bethsalem

Can anyone who (is daft enough) buys one please post a review of how you set it up and your first impressions?

Is it just an absolute rip-off (more than likely knowing Brandao) of the standard DVB-T dongle, or a 1090MHz dedicated device??

IanH

The link on the package Radarbox24.com/micro to download the software doesn't go anywhere to do that!

Looks like a standard dongle judging by the antenna (not tuned for 1090).

Anmer

I see Brian has caught up with the news and posted one of his renowned, in-depth and balanced assessments of the new Micro RadarBox.

How does he do it?    ;)

Others might choose the easy option and just copy and paste content from another website.  But not our Brian.

http://www.radarspotters.eu/forum/index.php?topic=8299.msg54042#msg54042
Here to Help.

Roadrunner

It is looks exactly the same shape as the one I have on my bench which I got from Cosy Cave over a year ago for about £7 including postage

Sun Worshipper

Surely no-one, in their right mind, will buy one of these?

The fact that it has the 'Brandao stamp of Approval' associated to it will make most informed radar spotting types running for the hills.

mhm

Quote from: Sun Worshipper on February 24, 2015, 11:19:58 AM
Surely no-one, in their right mind, will buy one of these?

The fact that it has the 'Brandao stamp of Approval' associated to it will make most informed radar spotting types running for the hills.

There were enough mugs who paid £400 + for an airnav box when they first came out. I paid the lower price when they sold of the old stock. Having bought a dongle from cosycave years ago I would not by that thing from airnav at its price now.

When discounted in a few years time when sales fall maybe. Anyway whos to say it will work in a years time when windows updates to win10
Mike

Sun Worshipper

QuoteThere were enough mugs who paid £400 + for an airnav box when they first came out.

Me included, seduced by a pack of lies.  >:(

QuoteWhen discounted in a few years time when sales fall maybe. Anyway whos to say it will work in a years time when windows updates to win10

That's the point I was trying to make.  Few people in the know who have encountered the Air Nav experience, will touch another product from that company with a sh***y stick!  A few years could become a few months. :D

Hope you are feeling a bit better. :)

Anmer

Quote from: Sun Worshipper on February 24, 2015, 01:40:28 PM
Hope you are feeling a bit better. :)

Reading mhm's signature, he should avoid any treatment.  ;)
Here to Help.

mhm

Mike

Triple7

Just had an on-line "chat" with W&S here's the transcript:
------------------------------------------------------------------------
You are now chatting with Dan Thomas (Sales)
Dan says:
Welcome to Live Help, how can I help you today?
Dan says:
Hi there Tim how can I help?
Tim says:
I am a bit confused about this Micro Radarbox product - surely it's just a RTL2832U+R820T Dongle?
Dan says:
bare with me two minute Tim I am trying to confirm exactly what the specifications are
Tim says:
OK thanks - I've just taken a phone call, so no rush at all.
Dan says:
From what I can gather, the information is a little limited at the moment, the main difference with this model is its high quality filtering for airband use. The filters basically will stop you being bombarded with excess signals that will interfere with it.
Tim says:
Airband use? That's not the 1090 MHz frequency.
Dan says:
I am not currently certain which frequency it operates on but I would assume 1090 MHZ
Tim says:
OK understood, I hope it will be 1090 MHz otherwise it's not much use for virtual radar use.
Tim says:
Anything further to add please Dan?
Tim says:
When will it be available?
Dan says:
we are currently in negotiations with the supplier as to the delivery date, they website will be updated as soon as they come into stock, sorry I cannot be more specific than that at the moment
Tim says:
OK no problems - thanks for the information you have provided.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
So there you have it - it apparently has high quality filters - that must justify the exorbitant price. I've been running my £5 - or was it £6 dongle that came on the slow boat from China a couple of years ago with my RPi and I don't seem to be suffering from "being bombarded with excess signals that will interfere with it".

Somehow, I think someone has let a male cow into the room and it has defecated.

Tim
SBS-1eR, FA ProStick + 1090 filter

Anmer

Quote from: Triple7 on February 24, 2015, 03:47:54 PM
Somehow, I think someone has let a male cow into the room and it has defecated.

8) 8) 8)

I cannot see the business justification in taking a DVB-T receiver that costs a couple of dollars and changing the spec to include "high quality filtering for airband use".

Since there must be thousands of DVB-T receivers being successfully used for 1090 MHz, even Brandao isn't that dumb.
Here to Help.