Welcome to Radarspotting. Please login or sign up.

May 20, 2024, 07:35:07 PM

Login with username, password and session length

New Members

New Members

You should get an activation email when you join.  If not, please use the Contact option.

DVB-T - My (First) Experience

Started by Blasius, March 21, 2015, 09:19:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blasius

Having won a R820T dongle from Radarspotting last year I thought it time to feedback my experience...

Impressions overall are very favourable (bearing in mind that this is my first dip into Radar Spotting so have nothing to compare it against).

First off, I should say that my location is not ideal, living on the UK South coast just south of the downs means that my view to the North is somewhat inhibited. My set up is wholly internal, sitting on the first floor of my house, with a window out to the East/South-East.

Software wise, I started off with RTL1090 coupled with FR24 (not sure why I chose FR24, just liked the look of the RadarView more than anything, plus straight forward access to shared data). FR24 seems to get mixed views on here but it's ok for me.

Initial set up and testing took a while before I had a usable system. I found that the antenna that came with the unit was next to useless. I tried trimming the height of the antenna but it made little difference, barely getting any contacts within 20Nm and even when I did it was intermittent. I assume this is due to the antenna being 'tuned' to accomodate a wider band for TV signals?

So I replaced the orginal antenna with a 'Taylor Made RF Limited ADSB-Micro-Mag' and got a completely different 'picture' (an order of magnitude (if not 2) better) and haven't changed the system since. I'm now able to pick up aircraft out to 80-100Nm (moreso to the East/South-east, down to around 30 to 40Nm to the West) and up to 120Nm when I place the antenna by the window. As you would assume, aircraft have to be at a significant altitude (above FL350 in my experience) to see out to this range.

RTL1090 typically showed the average noise level at or around -85db. Don't know if this is good, bad or otherwise but have since switched the decoder/feeder(for convenience) to FR24's own proprietary s/w so don't readily check this anymore. I do use a 'ground plane' (an upturned cake tin lid  ???) but this doesn't seem to make a whole lot of difference to the range or the noise level. Perhaps I need a bigger lid?

That said, for very little outlay, I have a system which allows to me share data both out and into my home, and a picture of UK airspace on a configurable display that I'm happy with. What's not to like  :).

Poster edit: Screengrab added for illustrative purposes. My contacts are in Gucci pink  :D

[Attachment deleted by Admin to save file space]

Anmer

Thanks for the feedback and sharing your experience.

I totally concur about the supplied antenna.  And as I found recently, a low cost Mode-S antenna from Taylor Made RF can produce a significant improvement in message quantity and range.

And antenna location is key.
Here to Help.

Triple7

Hi

Did you not try the PlanePlotter software? I paid for a license for you as part of the prize.  ;D

Tim
SBS-1eR, FA ProStick + 1090 filter

Anmer

Quote from: Triple7 on March 21, 2015, 12:09:37 PMI paid for a license for you as part of the prize.  ;D

Can you remind me about that please Tim?
Here to Help.

Triple7

Can you remind me about that please Tim?

Yes Mike of course, you will recall (hopefully) that I suggested you run a Spring raffle in 2013 and I funded 5 x dongles and 5 x PP licenses as a way to promote this forum.

http://radarspotting.com/forum/index.php/topic,2255.msg10519.html#msg10519

Tim

Anmer

Quote from: Triple7 on March 21, 2015, 08:28:01 PM
Yes Mike of course, you will recall (hopefully) that I suggested you run a Spring raffle in 2013 and I funded 5 x dongles and 5 x PP licenses as a way to promote this forum.

Thanks Tim.  Now I remember.  ;)

Blasius was a winner in the Football World Cup Group Stages competition in June 2014.

http://radarspotting.com/forum/index.php/topic,4040.msg19426.html#msg19426

Your prizes were for the Spring Raffle in April 2013.

http://radarspotting.com/forum/index.php/topic,2255.msg11239.html#msg11239
Here to Help.

Triple7

Ah yes, Sorry Mike and Blasius, it was the reference to DVB-T dongle and the south downs that made me put 2 and 2 together and get five.  :'(

Tim

Blasius

No worries Tim (For a momemnt I thought Christmas had come early  ;) )

birdie

Quote from: Triple7 on March 22, 2015, 07:31:56 AM
Ah yes, Sorry Mike and Blasius, it was the reference to DVB-T dongle and the south downs that made me put 2 and 2 together and get five.  :'(

Tim

Yes !

2 + 2 = 5

Please view this video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHAuGA7gqFU

To give "Unique Coverage of WSSS" in www.Radarbox24.com !