Welcome to Radarspotting. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 04:28:27 AM

Login with username, password and session length

New Members

New Members

You should get an activation email when you join.  If not, please use the Contact option.

Has AirNav Changed the Business Model?

Started by Anmer, April 17, 2015, 01:13:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anmer

The RadarBox24 website has recently been updated and includes an Increase Coverage page, similar to FR24.

https://www.radarbox24.com/addcoverage

This page offers two main options:

- I have an ADS-B/ModeS receiver
- I don't have a receiver

If one selects "I have an ADS-B/ModeS receiver" the next page invites us to sign in via Facebook, Google or create a Free account.  Not wishing to give AirNav access to either my Facebook or Google data, I opted to create a free account.  This doesn't appear to work.  Nothing happens after clicking on Submit.

But when I logged in with an existing RadarBox24 account and said I already has a DVB-T Dongle, I could download the "software", a 390MB file named ANRB50072Setup.exe.  This sets up the standard RadarBox software for which one needs a RadarBox login.  Not sure how I'm supposed to use this with my DVB-T receiver?

I then selected "I don't have a receiver" and "Buy a Receiver", where it becomes more interesting (or worrying).

As you can see from the screenshot below, I was offered three "receiver" choices in exchange for a monthly subscription of either US $10, $20 or $35.  It seems the $20 3D option is "Popular" though I can't understand why as there's no description of the supplied receiver or software.  Since RadarBox 3D was recently being offered by Waters & Stanton for a one-off fee of GBP £100, why would anyone want to pay a recurring annual subscription of US $240?

But what I find more intriguing is the MICRO option at US $35 a month or $420 a year.  Why?  Because the Micro RadarBox is available on the RadarBox24 Store for outright purchase for US $49.95.  It's also available on the Waters & Stanton website for GBP £59.95, which seems a rip-off when it can be bought from AirNav for US $49.95?  Or an even bigger rip-off when a similar DVB-T receiver can be purchased elsewhere for as little as US $20 or even less.

http://www.radarbox24.com/store

http://wsplc.com/micro-radarbox.html

Choosing Purchase via Paypal takes us to Sandy Collin's Test Store.  As the News of the World reporters used to say, "At this point I left the room".

So what's AirNav up to?

Well, just like the other flight trackers, it needs global coverage to underpin RadarBox24 app sales and enhanced website subscriptions.  Like the others, AirNav is offering a free receiver but I assume it's only available for those who can add coverage.

For the rest of us, perhaps AirNav is trying to radically change the business model by selling flight tracking subscription services and throw in a free receiver?  In otherwords, sign up to a recurring subscription that includes all mobile apps and an enhanceand RadarBox24 website, discounted in exchange for a data feed using a "free" receiver?

But AirNav's competitors already give away mobile apps and enhanced website access in exchange for a data feed.  So is AirNav trying to offer other services to justify the subscription, such as:

- Accounts
- Projects
- API Access
- Storage
- Custom Cloud Services
- Weekly Reports

Again, no detailed descriptions for any of these these "services" which might justify the proposed subscriptions.

Maybe I'm reading too much into the Increase Coverage links and AirNav is just "flying kites", testing the market with vapour ware?

If anyone has other views or has subscribed to any of these options, perhaps they would be willing to share their experiences?

[Attachment deleted by Admin to save file space]
Here to Help.

Sun Worshipper

Mike

I too have looked closely at these 'deals' and come to the conclusion that Air Nav most definitely have NOT changed their business model.

It would appear they will be using this to bring a fresh cash injection into their business, once again, at the expense of the poor saps who subscribe.

Same old, same old I'm afraid! >:(

birdie

I just trawl the net and discovered Andre Brandao AirNav's BS.

Here : http://aerospace-defense.cioreview.com/vendor/2014/AirNav_Systems

Wow ! ... 8,000 ADSB receivers feeding the network - to produce too many empty spaces all over the world without coverage in www.Radarbox24.com .

Flightradar24 already TERMINATED buying data from AirNav long ago, yet it is still mentioned ... what a big liar !

To give "Unique Coverage of WSSS" in www.Radarbox24.com !

Anmer

Quote from: birdie on May 02, 2015, 06:07:03 AM
Flightradar24 already TERMINATED buying data from AirNav long ago, yet it is still mentioned

The original article appeared a long time ago and when it was first published, Flightradar24 was still a customer.
Here to Help.

birdie

Quote from: Anmer on May 02, 2015, 07:36:43 AM
Quote from: birdie on May 02, 2015, 06:07:03 AM
Flightradar24 already TERMINATED buying data from AirNav long ago, yet it is still mentioned

The original article appeared a long time ago and when it was first published, Flightradar24 was still a customer.

Thanks and noted.
To give "Unique Coverage of WSSS" in www.Radarbox24.com !