Welcome to Radarspotting. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 12:05:47 AM

Login with username, password and session length

New Members

New Members

You should get an activation email when you join.  If not, please use the Contact option.

Dump1090 problems with adsbscope

Started by K9ACT, June 20, 2015, 02:07:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

K9ACT

I have AdsbScope running with RTL1090 and feed to FR24 and it works fine.

I can also run FR24 feed using dump1090 but have not been able to figure out out to get dump1090 to work with Adsbscope.

Can someone help me with the connections between dump1090 and adsbscope?

js

Anmer

Here to Help.

K9ACT

Quote from: Anmer on June 20, 2015, 08:47:21 AM
Welcome

This may help:

http://sonicgoose.com/how-to-setup-adsbscope/

That assumes RTL1090 and works fine but does not related to dump1090

>Or this:

>http://bubbazanetti.blogspot.co.uk/2013/09/raspberry-pi-wth-rtl-sdr-receiving-ads.html

That assumes PI and I have no idea how to relate that to anything.

>Basically, adsbScope needs to know which port has the decoded data from dump1090.

That seems to be my problem. When I start dump1090 it just starts running showing AC by the zillions but not a clue about what it's doing or where it's putting the data.

Thanks for getting back.  This has been driving me nuts so any help will be most appreciated.

js

K9ACT

One more really basic problem here.

It is not clear to me which program is the client and which is the server nor what the terms really mean.

FR24 says that when running their feed which automatically loads dump1090, all abscope needs to know is the raw date client number but I don't know where to find that info.

When running only dump 1090 into adbscope, you say it wants the decoded data port number but where do I find this and where do I put it?

Thanks again,

Jack

Anmer

On what are you running dump1090?  What hardware and operating system?

And what receiver are you using?
Here to Help.

IanH

You need to run Dump1090 with the required parameters:

--net = enable networking
--net-beast = output in Beast binary format so ADSBscope understands it
--net bo-port = changes the port where beat output is sent

This is the command line you need with ADBScope set up just as it was for RTL1090:

dump1090.exe --interactive --net --net-beast  --net-bo-port 31001

Easiest to create a batch file in the dump1090 folder with these commands!

K9ACT

Quote from: Anmer on June 20, 2015, 07:32:39 PM
On what are you running dump1090?  What hardware and operating system?

Dell laptop running XP.

>And what receiver are you using?

RTL dongal

I see another response here but need to digest it.

For openers, I want to rung ADSBscope from dumb 1090.

After I get that working, I want to feed into FR24 feed.

The idea is to be able to see my planes while feeding FR24.

js

K9ACT

Quote from: IanH on June 21, 2015, 04:20:36 PM
You need to run Dump1090 with the required parameters:

--net = enable networking
--net-beast = output in Beast binary format so ADSBscope understands it
--net bo-port = changes the port where beat output is sent

This is the command line you need with ADBScope set up just as it was for RTL1090:

Easiest to create a batch file in the dump1090 folder with these commands!

Not real hip on command line stuff but are you saying to go to command line and paste that bit of code after the prompt and everything will be nice?

js

IanH

If you are not too familiar with the command line, creating a batch file to run the commands will be easier.

Find the folder where you have unzipped the dump1090.exe file. In that folder create a text file (with Notepad, for example) called dump.txt (or whatever you want to call it).

Copy the text
pause

into the text file and save it.

Rename the dump.txt file to dump.bat - Windows might need you to confirm you want to do this.

Now when you double-click on dump.bat, it should start dump1090 with the required parameters to work with adsbScope.

The pause command is in there so that the batch file asks if you want to quit - useful for sorting out problems.

K9ACT

Quote from: IanH on June 22, 2015, 06:13:08 PM

If you are not too familiar with the command line, creating a batch file to run the commands will be easier.

Find the folder......

Cool!  Worked right out of the box.  You also furnished motivation to find out what a batch file is.

I have been on the internet since long before Al Gore invented it and somehow survived without ever needing to know.

Now for the next step:

FR24feed automatically installs dump1090 when the program is executed so it creates a conflict here I think.

First of all, it loads a version called mr-dump1090 and I have no idea what or why.

Secondly, I assume it has to have a different .bat file to set it up or is it just a matter of adding "mr-" to beginng of the code I just put in there?

What I tried and does not work was to make a mr-dump bat file and put it into the same folder.
Execute FR24feed>remove mr-dump from the task manager and then execute the mr-dump bat file.

The FR24feed just pings and displays no AC.

I seem to be missing something,

Thanks for the help, BTW.

Jack

IanH

OK, Plan B  :)

The batch file set up the required data from dump1090 to appear on port 31001 since that is what adsbScope expected. Usually dump1090 outputs the data on port 30005.

If we can't adjust dump1090, we need to tell adsbScope where to find the data.

Back to an earlier reference: http://sonicgoose.com/how-to-setup-adsbscope/

In the section called "Connect ADSBScope to the Decoder" it shows a screen shot for Network Setup. The port number is shown as 31001 - change this to 30005, make sure all the other values are as shown, and close that window.

Hopefully it will now all work. I can't remember if there is a way to save adsbScope settings (PC running adsbScope is turned off right now) - if there is do it otherwise the port will need to be changed each time you start it.

If that doesn't work, we will need to see what the FR feeder is doing  ;)

K9ACT

I can't get your last working but for what it's worth, this is what the batch file that comes with FR24 looks like....

dump1090.exe --interactive --net --net-ro-size 500 --net-ro-rate 5 --net-buffer 5 --net-beast --mlat
pause

Any clues there?

Jack

IanH

I was just about to reply that I did not think my previous idea would work. But looking at that FR24 batch file, it's not much different to mine.

Is that batch file in the FR24feeder folder?

I'm wondering why it says "dump1090,exe" when the file is called "mr-dump1090.exe"?

I ran that FR24 batch file with adsbScope set up as shown below and it worked!

[Attachment deleted by Admin to save file space]

K9ACT

Quote from: IanH on June 23, 2015, 06:23:52 PM
I was just about to reply that I did not think my previous idea would work. But looking at that FR24 batch file, it's not much different to mine.

The only thing notable is the mlat in it.

>Is that batch file in the FR24feeder folder?

Yes

>I'm wondering why it says "dump1090,exe" when the file is called "mr-dump1090.exe"?

I was hoping you would tell me that.  BTW, I spent a good deal of time on the FR24 group and got a lot less help then here and I want to thank you profusely.

>I ran that FR24 batch file with adsbScope set up as shown below and it worked!

I will go out and give it a try but did you run run FR24feed or just the bat file?

js

IanH

IGNORE ALL THIS - I've just tried FRFeed.exe and there may be a simple fix if I can figure out!

The ideas below are probably not going to work!!

======================================================
Just the bat file - I'm not feeding FR24 via FRFeed so I don't want to confuse things.

If it doesn't work, I'm away for the next few days so maybe someone else can help.

Otherwise I'll see what you have found.

As for your questions in earlier posts, adsbScope is the Client. Anything feeding data to it is the Server in this context.

I'm assuming that you know how to change the port address to 31005 - it is under other/Network/Network setup in the adsbScope menus. Press the "BEAST" button and type in 31005 for Portnumber. Press the "Local" button to make sure the URL is 127.0.0.1.

Once that is set, and you have closed the window, hit the button that shows PCs in a circle - it has a label "start RAW-data client" if you hover the mouse pointer over it.

I will be away for the next few days. Report back here what you find -someone else might know the answer or I'll take a look when I get back. This should be simple to fix   ;
)
==========================================================