Welcome to Radarspotting. Please login or sign up.

May 19, 2024, 09:51:08 PM

Login with username, password and session length

New Members

New Members

You should get an activation email when you join.  If not, please use the Contact option.

Windows 10

Started by mhm, October 30, 2015, 01:04:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mhm

Mike
Colon Cancer Survivor for the Time Being

Roadrunner

Both my desktop and laptop HP machines are running W10 and I have to say they are doing OK. With one exception, despite looking for a solution I have still not found a way to sort out the "not prepared to shut down state on my laptop. If I only use for 10-20 minutes I can shut down as normal via power off, if used for longer than 10-20 minutes I have 2 choices, hold down the start button until it closes - no idea what that is doing to the laptop or I can "restart" and then close down normally. Has anyone out there found a solution to this that avoids my 2 current options? My laptop is a HP500-325na

mhm

I can see people turning away from Microsoft shortly. you have no control of when downloads are put on your machine and when it decides to shut down on its own.
Mike
Colon Cancer Survivor for the Time Being

Anmer

Roadrunner Mike, have you checked your power settings profile?
Here to Help.

Roadrunner

My laptop is not allowed to sleep to save energy etc. I also had a look at the use of the power button or lid closing and these both show sleep on press BUT using the windows 10 menu page power button should close the device down whatever the physical button is programmed to do? Anyway I just changed the Physical button settings to shut down so will have to wait at least 20 minutes to see if it has changed both power buttons.

Anmer

Here to Help.

Graham Bell

Quote from: mhm on October 30, 2015, 03:02:29 PM
I can see people turning away from Microsoft shortly. you have no control of when downloads are put on your machine and when it decides to shut down on its own.
Is their not an option in Windows 10 whereby Windows can download but the user retains the option to install?
Regards-
G.B.

Roadrunner

You can ut it is not that readily available but means delving into W10 deeper.

G4UMW

Settings -> Update & Security -> Windows Update -> Advanced options -> Notify to schedule restart

That's what does it for me!
Rob/G4UMW

Roadrunner

Is anyone using Microsoft edge?

After a week or so I have finally got all my favourites into Edge and working OK (apart from not being able to sort).

Not wanting to add them all individually I copied the Favourites files from my desktop pc to a new windows 10 laptop and as I had them in exactly the same position on this new pc I expected them to be found and work. They did not so I tried a reboot but that did not change anything. However, if I click onto the links individually they open on the bar and I can then save them again to the place I choose (but they pick up a (number).

When I check back into the file area I see the original link plus the new one next to each other!. To save having to do this for each item does anyone know if there is some other changes I need to make to get the transferred links to work?  I have been looking through items on the web and have found nothing yet.

Regards Mike