Welcome to Radarspotting. Please login or sign up.

May 05, 2024, 08:24:59 PM

Login with username, password and session length

New Members

New Members

You should get an activation email when you join.  If not, please use the Contact option.

Do I change my external BS1105 Aerial and lead?

Started by aviaction, September 22, 2015, 08:11:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

aviaction

Currently using original kinetic supplied BS1105? external aerial with supplied cable and Elad 1090 Amplifier.

Have a Radarama external antenna sitting spare and just acquired 10m of Ecoflex 10 with connectors fitted.

I do have to go up to the mast to service, so do you think there is any benefit swapping out the original outside BS aerial for the Radarama with Ecoflex 10?

Anmer

What range do you currently get and is it as good as you can expect?
Here to Help.

aviaction

Good point.
Just 'downgraded' from my SBS3 back to another SBS-1 I have acquired, so i'm getting a few miles less range anyway, but not significant. Going to put up aerial on small mast outside at work and seemed a shame to use the better quality cable and aerial with my original SBS-1, than that used at home.

The SBS 3 is a fantastic piece of kit, but I don't have the time to utilise all its features, a basic unit is all I need.

Seeing a post elsewhere on here I can't believe its 10 years since I got my first SBS1 at Leicester Radio Rally
Serial number 518.

Anmer

Our forum member Pidea recommended this website which will show the max, unobstructed range from your location.

http://www.heywhatsthat.com/

It may take a minute to generate your map.  Once it has, if you select Up in the Air, you can enter min and max altitudes to see what range you can expect but it doesn't seem to take into account local terrain, But it may help you decide if changing the cable is worth the bother.  My guess it's not.
Here to Help.