Welcome to Radarspotting. Please login or sign up.

May 17, 2024, 01:14:02 PM

Login with username, password and session length

New Members

New Members

You should get an activation email when you join.  If not, please use the Contact option.

Puck Problem

Started by Nigel, December 22, 2015, 10:17:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nigel

I've had a Puck for almost a year but suddenly some problems have developed. It works for a period of time (anything between a few hours to just a minute) before it loses connection with my PC and I get the following error message 'USB Device Not Recognised'. Is this likely to be a Puck problem rather than Windows (PC)? I've tried disconnecting everything and reconnecting; different USB ports etc. but the problem remains.

Any advice or suggestions would be very welcome

Thank you

Nigel

Anmer

Have you had a Windows update recently? Is it a desktop or laptop?

Check your Power settings. Maybe the USB connection is being hibernated.
Here to Help.

Nigel

Thanks Anmer

Yes I've done some Windows updates recently but I think the problem started before them. How do you check Power settings? The Puck works for a few minutes (orange light is on) when I reconnect it and it is recognised in my devices, then it just disapears and the orange light is off. Ocassionally the orange light comes back on for a few seconds and then off again.

Anmer

What version of Windows are you running and is the Puck connected to a laptop or desktop PC?
Here to Help.

Nigel

I'm using Windows 7, 64 bit on a desktop PC

I'm not very good with computers so I'm not sure if this is any help but I get the 'USB device not recognised' when just the cable is plugged into my PC but not connected to the Puck.

Thanks

Anmer

Thanks.

Try Control Panel -> Power Options -> Change Plan Settings -> Change Advanced Power Settings

In the popup window scroll down and expand USB Settings and set USB selective suspend setting to Disabled.

Then see if you get the problem.
Here to Help.

Nigel

Brilliant!! It worked..many, many thanks!

Can I ask a question though for the future...why should something like that change when I havem't gone anywhere near changing power setting?

Thank you again

Nigel

Anmer

Great.

My guess is a Windows update has set the USB to a default.  But that's just a guess.
Here to Help.

Nigel

Think I got excited too quickly. It runs for so long then disconnects (orange light off) then reconnects for about a minute. Removing all the cables and connecting again gets it working but then it disconnects again

Anmer

When it connects, can you run BaseStation OK?  I assume it's a 1090 Puck.
Here to Help.

Nigel

I've just tried a high speed active repeater USB extension cable between my Puck and the Pc instead of the cable going directly from the Puck to the PC. At the moment it seems to be working fine again but that could be a fluke. Yes it's a 1090Puck. Basestation seems to be working fine.

Sorry to be a pain about this and many thanks for your help

Anmer

You're not a pain.  That's why the forum exists, to help others.

I was going to suggest trying another USB cable and ask how long is the one you're using.
Here to Help.

Nigel

I was only using the cable that is supplied with the Puck as the Puck is next to my PC and connected to an external aerial. I'm still using that cable but have plugged it into a 10m active USB extension and then that into my PC. It's still working and without interruptions so fingers crossed!

Many thanks