Welcome to Radarspotting. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 06:12:39 AM

Login with username, password and session length

New Members

New Members

You should get an activation email when you join.  If not, please use the Contact option.

Better Radar Coverage

Started by N35W, February 04, 2016, 04:29:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

N35W

Does anybody have a solution to get the best radar coverage for the San Fernando valley and San Bernardino County in California. I can't get ground targets for KBUR, KWHP, KONT and only a hand full for KVNY.  The San Fernando valley is a busy place.  KONT is a class B airport and is backup for KLAX.  It's possible that it's a base for UPS also.  I'm using Flightradar24 in radar mode.  Should I be using something better?

eddm_muc

Are you feeding yourself?
If not, you may consider it and thus contribute to a better coverage... ;)

N35W

I would like to get a receiver but trying to decide what to get.  I'm next to KSMO and don't think it will make a difference for the
valley airports on the ground.  The Santa Monica mountains block the signals.  I can't receive those towers on my VHF radio.  Aircraft out there above the mountains I can pick up though.  If I'm the only one in this area will I be able to get anything?  I thought you needed at least 3 ground stations covering a region.

Anmer

Coverage is a combination of geographical location and local obstacles (trees and high buildings/hills) antenna position (high as possible and short coax runs) and receiver/decoding equipment.

Tracking aircraft on the ground requires a receiver close to the airport as signals are line of sight.  As the aircraft climbs the signal travels further.  On the ground not so far and can be blocked by terminal buildings and hotels.

The Hey Whats That website can help view your local coverage according to aircraft height.

You only need (3) more local receivers to achieve MLAT plots for aircraft that transmit Mode-S messages without positional data.

I'd start with a low cost DVB-T/RPi combo receiver and an external antenna, feeding into FlightAware using it's free pre-built PiAware software,  This will grant you access to all your local traffic including any MLAT plots (no blocking) and a free Enterprise account to track other aircraft.

FlightAware probably has greater US coverage than FR24.
Here to Help.

IanH

QuoteThis will grant you access to all your local traffic including any MLAT plots

So long as they are transmitting ADSB on 1090 MHz. The US has another option for GA using 978MHz - not sure if that generates locations.

Check out the FlightAware site - look for PiAware and its associated forum "ADS-B Flight Tracking".

Also check out the feeder sites map - looks to be plenty of PiAware feeders in your area - add yours to that and share the data.

Anmer

Quote from: IanH on February 04, 2016, 10:17:37 AM
QuoteThis will grant you access to all your local traffic including any MLAT plots

So long as they are transmitting ADSB on 1090 MHz. The US has another option for GA using 978MHz - not sure if that generates locations.

Thanks for spotting that omission Ian.

The aircraft need to have a Mode-S transponder that's in use.  Doesn't have to be ADS-B which sends positional data:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Automatic_dependent_surveillance_%E2%80%93_broadcast

GA aircraft in the USA may have transponders using 978 MHz.

This FlightAware post may help.  It's since been rumoured FlightAware will include 978 UAT for the US.

https://discussions.flightaware.com/post148542.html#p148542

Further reading:

http://www.garmin.com/us/intheair/ads-b/compliance/
Here to Help.

N35W

:)  Thank you very much guys.  This is what I needed to know.  I will start here.  GA aircraft are what I'm most interested in around here.  We get lots of helicopter traffic.

Anmer

Quote from: N35W on February 04, 2016, 06:07:46 PM
GA aircraft are what I'm most interested in around here.  We get lots of helicopter traffic.

These tend to fly at low altitudes and tracking them can be difficult if the terrain and/or high rise buildings block the transmitted data.

But give it a go.
Here to Help.

N35W

This is what I see for now.

[Attachment deleted by Admin to save file space]

Anmer

Is that traffic from your own receiver or others on FR24?
Here to Help.

N35W

Others on Flightradar24.   Once I get the device you told me about, hopefully I will do allot better.

IanH

Something like this one is what you need:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NooElec-NESDR-Mini-2-USB-DVB-T-RTL-SDR-Receiver-RTL2832U-R820T2-Tuner-MCX-/171823485287

The RTL2832U and R820T2 are the important bits of information.

I've used this US supplier - knows what he is selling.

N35W

Excellent.  Thanks again IanH.  You guys are saving Me allot of headaches and high blood pressure.  :)