Welcome to Radarspotting. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 09:49:10 PM

Login with username, password and session length

New Members

New Members

You should get an activation email when you join.  If not, please use the Contact option.

Is there a Flightaware Pro stick guide for Windows or Linux?

Started by pilot4g, May 18, 2016, 05:32:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pilot4g

Hi
New owner of the flightaware pro stick and would like to use it on Windows / planeplotter or Linux setup.  Is there a guide or instructions on this type of install?  Have searched and all I find is the Pi setup info at flightaware and on the net.

John

Anmer

What do you want to use it with?  What decoding software, assuming you want the Pro Stick to track aircraft?
Here to Help.

pilot4g

Would like to use it with planeplotter and share / feed  flightaware / FR24 / Planefinder
I would like to use on a netbook running linux (mint / ubuntu /debian)
and Windows XP / Win 10 computers.

looking for what drivers and software needed to use the pro stick with windows and linux
ubuntu / mint / debian distro.  to display on planeplotter and feed the above servers

Thanks

John

Anmer

Here to Help.

pilot4g

My pro stick is to arrive tomorrow so trying to gather up what is needed to set it up.
The flightaware website only has info for setting up a Pi and would prefer to not
go down that path and use my netbook or laptops on windows or linux.

Do you know if usb drivers are needed for the pc to connect to the pro stick on
windows or linux?

Thanks
John

Anmer

You will need the Zadig drivers for Windows.  No idea about Linux.
Here to Help.

IanH

I've just got back from a two-day visit to my employer's office in Cambridge so not too bright at the moment to explain or check how I've installed Piaware on Linux on a PC.

Debian is probably your best option and running a setup script from the Piaware forum that installs everything including PlaneFinder and FR24 (if I remember correctly). You can take an output from Piaware to send to PP as well. Drivers and software are all setup with the script.

Since the script here: http://discussions.flightaware.com/ads-b-flight-tracking-f21/ads-b-receiver-project-setup-scripts-t36532.html is set up to run on a Pi, you will need to set up a "sudoer" in Debian. In theory Ubuntu should work since it is already set up like that but I couldn't get it to install on Ubuntu

By the time you come back here tomorrow, I should have had chance to check this out again.

pilot4g

Hi
Thanks for the info. Got my package with prostick and filter.
Got it running in about 20 min, but might be needing to adjust
a few setting as noted below...

used zadig to setup drivers. On this old notebook is running Win XP
and it did load drivers for RTL dongle by default, but used Zadig to modify
so that dump1090 could find the prostick.

Installed dump1090 windows version using the default .bat file

Setup Planeplotter to use dump1090-windows in I/O section.

Very excited to see that dump1090-win is feeding Planeplotter and see
aboult 2X the number of aircraft vs old radarbox also 2x the distance
in just a few min of use.

I do have a few questions

1 here is my dump1090 bat file is there any option not set or missing?

dump1090.exe --interactive --net --net-ro-size 500 --net-ro-rate 5 --net-buffer 5 --net-beast --mlat
pause

2 would like to feed to FR24 using their feeder software so I can maintain a premium account credit there
is the FR24 feeder program compatable with dump1090win & planeplotter? 
Do I need to modify ports or settings or can they work together?

3 can planeplotter be configured to use 2 receivers?

Thanks so much for your help here to get this up and running

JOhn

Anmer

Quote from: pilot4g on May 19, 2016, 11:27:30 PM
2 would like to feed to FR24 using their feeder software so I can maintain a premium account credit there
is the FR24 feeder program compatable with dump1090win & planeplotter? 

I'll answer the bit I know.

If you're running PlanePlotter you can feed FR24 from there.  It's a similar setup to the FlightAware.  I can't find an FR24 page that shows the setup:

https://flightaware.com/planeplotter:

Here to Help.

Triple7

dump1090.exe --interactive --net --net-ro-size 500 --net-ro-rate 5 --net-buffer 5 --net-beast --mlat
pause

You could experiment with adding:
--gain -10 (that's minus 10) for the gain which sets it to maximum. Some have reported that gives better results and:
--no-fix which disables trying to decode single bit error correction and may also help.

Do you mean 2 receivers in different locations? You can do that but you'll need to use an additional program to merge the feeds and then send that to PP. I think VRS can do that and maybe also ModeSMixer but that said, if you do take 2 feeds from different locations you can't then feed the PP Mlat system otherwise it will show incorrect results due to the different Time Of Arrival times from the different locations.

Or were you thinking of one feed for ADSB and a second for ACARS? If so, you can do that no problem.

Tim
SBS-1eR, FA ProStick + 1090 filter

pilot4g

Quote from: Triple7 on May 20, 2016, 08:54:39 AM

pause

You could experiment with adding:
--gain -10 (that's minus 10) for the gain which sets it to maximum. Some have reported that gives better results and:
--no-fix which disables trying to decode single bit error correction and may also help.

Do you mean 2 receivers in different locations? You can do that but you'll need to use an additional program to merge the feeds and then send that to PP. I think VRS can do that and maybe also ModeSMixer but that said, if you do take 2 feeds from different locations you can't then feed the PP Mlat system otherwise it will show incorrect results due to the different Time Of Arrival times from the different locations.

Or were you thinking of one feed for ADSB and a second for ACARS? If so, you can do that no problem.

Tim

Yes I discovered that Planeplotter can do both ACARS - VHF and ADSB 

I have been compairing the much older Airnav Radar box with latest V6 software to this new "flightaware prostick" using dump1090-windows
and its amazing. The prostick is logging more than 2 times the number of logged items, and range is over 2 times from my location.
I do miss however the Airnav database / logging and report features

So far I have found a few very old posts on a planeplotter reporting script but not a simple task and what I was looking for.
I deal would be to find a software package that would to automatic lookup of Hex, reg and flight data (like acars sd) and build
a report database that can be searched.

Is there any such package or software that can do that with or without planeplotter?
Now just retired and so just getting into this as a hobby.

Thanks
John

Chris-G0WTZ

Has anyone done a standalone software for this product?
Something that can receive and log aircraft without internet ?

It is something I get asked a lot!

Anmer

Quote from: Chris-G0WTZ on October 03, 2019, 11:02:58 AM
Something that can receive and log aircraft without internet ?

PlanePlotter, Virtual Radar Server, ModeSMixer......  Maybe others?
Here to Help.