Welcome to Radarspotting. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 05:47:56 AM

Login with username, password and session length

New Members

New Members

You should get an activation email when you join.  If not, please use the Contact option.

Wi-Fi watcher-

Started by Graham Bell, May 25, 2016, 04:00:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Graham Bell

The wi-fi watcher app I use on my desktop regularly,but not all the time,indicates that the program below is connected to my network.Can anybody suggest who or what it is and should I be concerned?
"IP Address   Device Name   MAC Address   Network Adapter Company   Device Information   User Text   First Detected On   Last Detected On   Detection Count   Active   
192.168.1.4      00-30-0D-A0-AA-DE   MMC Technology, Inc.         23/05/2016 15:40:03   25/05/2016 15:51:27   3   Yes"
Regards-
G.B.   

Anmer

How secure is your WiFi access?  How far away are your neighbours?

It's a device that's connected to your network.  It could be something in your house or outside.
Here to Help.

Graham Bell

Mike- Security and password as `out of the box`with no input from me-location 10+ properties within a 150 metres range'
Regards-
G.B.

Anmer

Depending on your router you will have a number of security features.

Maybe change your SSDI and WiFi key?  You may also be able to restrict access to registered devices.
Here to Help.

Graham Bell

Thanks for those suggestions Mike which are noted,having `googgled`the name it appears it could emanate from Microsoft-something to keep an eye on perhaps.

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms692748(v=vs.85).aspx
Regards-
G.B.

Anmer

Unless I'm mistaken, it's a device not a program.
Here to Help.

jakems

The watcher program is saying that a device with the unique MAC address of 00-30-0D-A0-AA-DE is connected to your router. Part of that MAC address is a manufacturer code, which in this case is MMC Technology, Inc. which is a subsiduary of Hyundai. It just identifies who made the bit of the device that does the Wi-Fi connection. Looking at what they make it could be a NAS device, but that is just a guess. As Mike says change your key for your SSID and see if that stops it showing up. Remember you will need to update the key on your devices after you change the key.
Steve

Anmer

Thanks Steve.

Again, depending on your router, you may have the option to rename attached devices into something more recognisable, such as "SBS-3", "My Phone", "Sky Box" etc.  And only granting access to specified devices.

Lock it down as much as possible, especially if, unlike me, you have near neighbours and busy streets.

Luckily for me, the local sheep haven't heard of smart phones - yet.  ;)
Here to Help.

Graham Bell

Thank you both for your valued comments the device in question is conspicuous by its absence today.
Re. your comment regarding your local sheep population Mike my understanding of them is that they are wary of any mobile phone deals offered through fear of being fleeced!!
Regards-
G.B.

Anmer

Quote from: Graham Bell on May 26, 2016, 12:38:46 PM
Re. your comment regarding your local sheep population Mike my understanding of them is that they are wary of any mobile phone deals offered through fear of being fleeced!!

Or having the wool pulled over their eyes.  ;)
Here to Help.

Graham Bell

What is a `NAS device`? Would an Apple TV box come within the scope of this device as I have added one to my network very recently?
Regards-
G.B.

Triple7

NAS is a Network Attached Storage device. Typically a number of Hard Drives in a box sitting somewhere on your network so the storage capacity can be accessed by anyone on the network. Not likely to be a TV per se.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Network-attached_storage

Your TV could be this mysterious device. Is is possible to look at the settings for the TV's network connection and identify the IP address, if it's 192.168.1.4 you have found the "culprit"

Tim
SBS-1eR, FA ProStick + 1090 filter

Graham Bell

Thanks for that Tim-The IP address you mention is showing and is linked to the TP-Link WiFi program on my computer.
Does this indicate the source or do I need to keep looking?Many thanks for your input.
Regards-
G.B.

Anmer

What's the IP address of your computer?
Here to Help.

Graham Bell

"Whatsmyipaddress" gives me this:-
Your IPv4 Address Is:
Regards-
G.B.