Welcome to Radarspotting. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 05:44:22 AM

Login with username, password and session length

New Members

New Members

You should get an activation email when you join.  If not, please use the Contact option.

Modem/Router problem

Started by Ian K, June 09, 2016, 10:49:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ian K

I have had the following item since 2013 - Belkin Wireless N600 Modem Router ADSL (BT Line)
In the last few days viewing the internet has been very slow and when I test the connection I am getting 0.6 mbps when I would normally get 6.5mbps.
When I unplug it then switch it back on the speed goes back to normal for a short while before returning to the very slow speed.
Does it mean the modem router is failing or could there be another problem ?
Ian

Triple7

Ian,

You could ask your ISP to check the line to determine if there is a fault somewhere outside your house. That at least will narrow it down and will hopefully provide an answer as to whether the router is dying.

Tim
SBS-1eR, FA ProStick + 1090 filter

Anmer

All I can add Ian is that routers do fail.

I'm on my fourth.

Are you running anything else when you do the speed test?  Is it secure from neighbours hitching a ride?

Are you doing the test with a wireless or wired connection?
Here to Help.

Ian K

Thanks Tim,

Mike, I have the usual programs open when I do the test, ie BS, PP, AD plus feeds to FA & FR24
It is secure and it is a wired connection.

Ian

Anmer

Thanks Ian.

Is the router still under warranty?  Or swap your Ethernet cable?
Here to Help.

Ian K

It is out of warranty, but I will try a different cable.
Ian

Graham Bell

I experience similar problems on a regular basis Ian then for no apparent reason normal performance will resume,or as normal as you are likely to get from TalkTalk :-\
Who is your provider?
Regards-
G.B.

Ian K

Ian

Anmer

One other thing to check.  Is the firmware up-to-date?
Here to Help.

Ian K

The last update was 2011 and there was no new firmware.
Tried a new cable but still doesn't seem right.
Ian

Anmer

Thanks Ian.  Maybe the router is giving up the ghost?
Here to Help.

Ian K

New Modem/Router installed today and everything is back to normal. :)

Why do these fail ? as I said I had only had the previous router since 2013
Ian

Anmer

Glad its sorted Ian.

I wish I knew why they fail.  But fail they do.
Here to Help.

skywatch

I know that you are sorted out now, but for others who have similar problems one of the first things to check would be the power supply to the modem/router. These are often cheap Chinese ones that don't last very long at all. A replacement power supply (with the same voltage and the same or higher current capability) might solve the problem.

Routers are also known to have a high heat dissipitation and keeping them cool (espcially during our short hot spells) is wise. Don't stack them, allow plenty of air flow around the devices. Maybe have a small fan blowing air at them.

S>