Welcome to Radarspotting. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 06:02:02 AM

Login with username, password and session length

New Members

New Members

You should get an activation email when you join.  If not, please use the Contact option.

Google Maps API Key Issue

Started by kneave, July 18, 2016, 08:52:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kneave

Howdo,

I've just started to learn about ADS-B for a research project at work and I've been amazed by Modesdeco2!  We've got it running on a Pi with a static IP and I've pointed a subdomain of one of my sites towards it make it easier for everyone to get to.

The only issue is that as soon as Google's servers see a host header rather than just an IP address it blocks access to the API without an API key being added to the application.

Does anyone know a way of doing this please?  I've been hunting through the documentation and this forum without any luck.  If anyone can help I'd appreciate it.

Thanks,
Keegan

Anmer

Welcome.

Google has changed its map policy and is now charging for third party maps usage. They now require an API key after a certain number of map requests.

This may provide some background info:

https://developers.google.com/maps/pricing-and-plans/standard-plan-2016-update
Here to Help.

kneave

Hi,

Thanks for the responses, seems I missed a bit of key info out of my post!  Pun intended. :P

I have a key and the bit I need help with is adding the key to Modesdeco2.  I've authenticated my domain with Google maps in the hope that the host headers would authenticate me but that hasn't done the trick.  As Modesdeco2 is a compiled binary I also don't have the source code to poke at.

Is there a way to specify my developer key for the Google Maps API or is this software intended for local network usage only?

Thanks,
Keegan

kneave

Looks like their isn't a way to do it for now, I'm planning on creating my own front end in Unity anyhow but that's a while away.  For now though I'll just debug using an IP.

Thanks,
Keegan

swn

Quote from: kneave on July 19, 2016, 12:48:00 AM
Hi,

Thanks for the responses, seems I missed a bit of key info out of my post!  Pun intended. :P

I have a key and the bit I need help with is adding the key to Modesdeco2.  I've authenticated my domain with Google maps in the hope that the host headers would authenticate me but that hasn't done the trick.  As Modesdeco2 is a compiled binary I also don't have the source code to poke at.

Is there a way to specify my developer key for the Google Maps API or is this software intended for local network usage only?

Thanks,
Keegan

me too.... what a pity. Also with dump1090 there is this issue with GOOGLE API KEY , but it's possibile to configure and set it....
but with ModesMixer ...

Is there a solution ? To set a google api-key ? To use openstreet map ??

Sergsero, can you help us ?

sergsero

Hello,

At the moment new version of modesmixer2 and version of modesdeco2 in which you can specify the API Key are tested and will soon be published for testing.

Best regards,
sergsero

shinesamuel

Sergsero,

When will be the new version for Modes2mixer will be out? I am having trouble with Google API with version v.20160119.

shinesamuel

Sergsero,

I am using the beta version for ModesMixer2 v.20161009, google maps works fine over internet access but local access google map fail to load. ModesMixer2 V20161009 need to be refreshed often to see the results.

I thinks these are bugs

Thanks
Shine Samuel

drawding

Been a ham and linux system admin for years and just got started with airplane tracking.  Was using dump1090 to feed VRS when I found ModeSDeco2.  I really like ModeSDeco2 and want to change over to it but the map issue is a killer as I have everything associated with hostnames.  It does work properly via local network ip address but does not with a hostname that resolves to an internal address.  Forget any kind of external addressing.  As you know the problem is the change in the Google API.  VRS has a spot to enter it in the web admin and I was able to add a javascript line to gmap.html in dump1090 to fix the issue there as well. 

Looking forward to the next release that hopefully addresses the issue.  If you need a beta tester let me know.  I can test under 64 bit Linux/Windows as well as OS X.

Thanks!

princip

I've found that the latest version of modesmixer2 (possibly modesdeco too) has an undocumented command line argument:

--google-key YOUR_API_KEY

You can generate an API key via the google maps api reference pages, you need a google account however.

rendezvousnz

Once we get a google key, how do I insert it into ModeSMixer?
(google maps show ok on local connection, but not when viewing from outside my network)

lucaberta

Quote from: rendezvousnz on June 11, 2018, 04:28:09 AM
Once we get a google key, how do I insert it into ModeSMixer?
the answer is in the message right above yours! The Google API key should be given to ModeSMixer2 as an option on the command line when launching it.

(google maps show ok on local connection, but not when viewing from outside my network)
weird.

I too am running into issues with the Google API key, which I created fresh on the Google Cloud platform just yesterday.

The API key seems to work very intermittently, at times I get the Google Map OK, but most times I get the dreaded "This page can't load Google Maps correctly." popup and then the maps gets the "For development purposes only" overlay, and becomes dimmed and low resolution.

I have no idea how to fix this annoying issue...

Bye, Luca

lucaberta

Quote from: lucaberta on August 25, 2018, 08:51:59 PM
The API key seems to work very intermittently, at times I get the Google Map OK, but most times I get the dreaded "This page can't load Google Maps correctly." popup and then the maps gets the "For development purposes only" overlay, and becomes dimmed and low resolution.

I have no idea how to fix this annoying issue...
quoting myself... fixing was easy, it just required reading the link at the bottom of the error on the map!

The API key is not the only thing that is needed now, a billing address and credit card is needed too, and just adding the address and credit card solved the issue.

Google Cloud services give a 12 months trial, and I very much doubt that I will be using many API calls anyway, so no billing should ever happen. And in case Google says that they will email you before any billing happens.

Maps work well now!

Bye, Luca

davmasc

Hi Luca,

i'm experiencing your same problem.
But, although I have entered the credit card details, the google maps page continues to appear with the annoying text "for development purposes only".
I' m not sure how to correctly set up the api key in Google Cloud Platform  ???

[attachment deleted reduce file load]