Welcome to Radarspotting. Please login or sign up.

April 18, 2024, 09:44:21 PM

Login with username, password and session length

New Members

New Members

You should get an activation email when you join.  If not, please use the Contact option.

Radar Spotters connection is not secure

Started by Triple7, August 09, 2016, 08:00:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Triple7

Oh dear, seems as though a security certificate is invalid - according to Firefox. Not seen this before.

Tim

[Attachment deleted by Admin to save file space]
SBS-1eR, FA ProStick + 1090 filter

IanH

Similar on Chrome.

Message is:

"Your connection is not private

Attackers might be trying to steal your information from www.radarspotters.eu (for example, passwords, messages, or credit cards). NET::ERR_CERT_DATE_INVALID"

Weird thing is that if you search for a fix, most of the "solutions" suggest to check your computer's clock is correct when the real problem could be at the server end.

Anmer

Getting the same warnings here using Firefox, Chrome and IE.
Here to Help.

Harpic

Getting the same using Edge

Bethsalem

To the Dark Side of the Web, gone they have.

Anmer

That's the risk of letting Blogger "copy and paste" from other sites.  ;)
Here to Help.

Triple7

and it takes the forum owner 16 days to acknowledge - "it's fixed". I suspect the post in the first screenshot will be deleted very shortly.

Tim

SBS-1eR, FA ProStick + 1090 filter

Anmer

Quote from: Triple7 on August 25, 2016, 07:39:50 AM
and it takes the forum owner 16 days to acknowledge

More importantly, he never answers questions from his members. Fortunately, there's an alternative.

http://radarspotting.com/forum/index.php/topic,6310.msg30883.html#msg30883

Here to Help.

Anmer

Beware, more risks.

Here to Help.

corsa

Yet they still get new members !  Or so they say !!!!

Who cannot have used very often before joining as the warning signs still keep appearing, strange !

Anmer

Quote from: corsa on February 07, 2017, 09:49:36 AM
Yet they still get new members !  Or so they say !!!!

Anyone can join Tom.  There's absolutely no verification.  That's why it gets spam posts.

I have numerous accounts there using invalid email addresses. 

There may be new members but they don't post or visit.

A check of the Users Online is a good indication of activity.  Today we've had 108 visitors online at the same time.  Radarspotters gets around 25 max.  And 24 are my fake accounts  8)

Today it will be just Brian.  :)

Here to Help.

Anmer

I see Brainless Brian is trying to cause trouble over on the Dark Side.  Maybe I should clear up his misunderstanding.

The only reason Radarspotters has an SSL certificate is to get better Google ranking.  It has nothing to do with security.

In an unusual move, back in August 2014, Google surprised many by confirming a new search engine ranking factor.

They announced, via their blog, that they will be rewarding websites that make use of HTTPS encryption (SSL) with increased exposure in the search engines.

https://www.lcn.com/blog/ssl-seo-https-benefits-search/

There is no security risk in using this forum.  What's the point in encrypting posts that are displayed for all to see?

Radarspotting doesn't offer any online transactions and donations are handled by PayPal.

Unfortunately for Dinneen, SSL certificates have to be paid for on a regular basis and he clearly doesn't keep a diary of renewals.  Or doesn't have the means to pay for them when they become due?

I'd be more worried about using a forum that doesn't validate membership applications and accepts fake email addresses, encouraging hackers to join and steal personal information. And let's not forget that Brainless Brian is always publishing personal information about me and my family. More Trumpish behaviour  8)

A quick check will confirm that Radarspotting is not alone in not having an SSL certificate.  For example, neither do these forums:

Kinetic
AirNav
FlightRadar24
and his favourite, RadioReference

And despite Brainless' concern, he still keeps visiting Radarspotting  ;D

Here to Help.

Anmer

More irrelevant tosh from Brainless Brian, the scourge of Carlsbad.

What he fails to understand is that most aviation forums, instead of using SSL to improve security, just ban him instead.  :)
Here to Help.

Anmer

I see Brainless Brian speaks with forked tongue.  aka hypocrite.

Here he is recommending an "insecure" website to visit.

Tut tut.  >:(

http://forum.flightradar24.com/threads/5060-Marine-Trafic?p=88626&viewfull=1#post88626

Here to Help.

Anmer

I see Brainless Brian is still banging on about forum security.

How come he never mentioned it before Dinneen forgot to renew his SSL certificate?  If it's that important, why not?

And if an SSL certificate is so essential, how come Brian's still the main contributor on Radarspotters, accounting for 70% of the last 100 posts, none in response to a member's question?  You'd think a "secure" forum would attract more members.

And where's the forum owner and sole Administrator?  Not even an apology from Dinneen for blocking Brian's copy and pastes for nearly a week.  :)
Here to Help.