Welcome to Radarspotting. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 08:54:29 AM

Login with username, password and session length

New Members

New Members

You should get an activation email when you join.  If not, please use the Contact option.

Vista users?-

Started by Graham Bell, October 10, 2016, 11:52:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Graham Bell

If there are any Vista users among us has anyone found a solution to the widespread problem whereby Vista will no longer download Windows Updates?
  Briefly what happens if you ask Vista to check for updates it churns away for hours or days if you allow it to with no results and CPU use peaks and stays at 100%,task manager indicates "sychost"with Windows Update Agent involved and is the culprit of this high usage.Google the symptoms and there is a plethora of remedies sadly none of which I have had any success with.
I suspect that this is Microsoft depleting its support for this O.S. in their usual cavalier way.
If anybody has found a solution to this I would appreciate any hints.
Regards-
G.B.

mhm

Mike
Colon Cancer Survivor for the Time Being

IanH

Similar problems with Win7.

Seems you have to install the latest patch if you leave it too long between updates. Finding the latest patch is the problem. The ones I had don't work any more so had to find the new ones.

Graham Bell

Thanks for the comments-
Mike-I have tried that with no success.
Ian-How do you find these missing updates?
regards-
G.B.

mhm

Mike

IanH

I had to search on Google using "100% CPU windows update win7 2016"

Substitute vista and make sure you put in the date - too much old crapout there which no longer applies.

This is an example result:

https://www.askwoody.com/2016/how-to-update-vista-quickly/

And I would recommend trying to download and install the KB3168965 update they mention  - that was one of the things that worked for me

Another result is here: http://wu.krelay.de/en/2016-07.htm which explains the reason and offers another patch

jakems

Hi

Noticed my Vista machine was running slow this morning. The reason was yesterday was the second Tuesday of the month and the new updates were released, so it was searching for them. Did a search and found update KB3198234 is the likely cause. So I killed the update search, installed this patch and restarted my PC. Restarted the update search and after 30 minutes it found 12 more updates. I have installed them, rebooted and all is calm again.
Steve

jakems

The update to install manually for December is KB3204723.
Steve

Graham Bell

Thanks Jakems,I will try this update.
Regards
G.B.

jakems

The update to install manually for March is KB4012497. The next update Tuesday is 11 April 2017 which is the last scheduled update for Vista.
Steve

Graham Bell

Thanks for that Jakems,can you remind me how you instal a Windows update manually?
Regards-
G.B.

jakems

Hi

If you Google for the patch name it should lead you to the Microsoft patch repository, for this months patch:

http://www.catalog.update.microsoft.com/Search.aspx?q=KB4012497

If you then click on download for the 32 bit or 64 bit Vista patch you can then either download it and run it or run direct from the web site. Reboot your computer and it took about 30 minutes before the icon came up saying there were patches to install if you have manual updates set, otherwise they will be automatically installed as per your set up.

If you did not install the November & December patches I would suggest you download and install them in date order first.

You can tell if everything is up to date if you go to Control Panel/Windows Update. It should show that the most recent check was in the last day or two and updates have been installed since 14 March.
Steve

Graham Bell

I am obliged to you Jakems I will give that a try
Regards-
G.B.

mhm

Mike

mhm

Mike