Welcome to Radarspotting. Please login or sign up.

May 19, 2024, 11:18:55 PM

Login with username, password and session length

New Members

New Members

You should get an activation email when you join.  If not, please use the Contact option.

SBS3er and Linux.

Started by PD, July 17, 2017, 02:59:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PD

Hi guys,
Apologies if this topic has been dealt with earlier but I'm changing to Linux on my laptop.
Have an SBS-3er. Will BaseStaion run with Linux itself?
If not, there is a program called Wine which is made to run Windows based programs on Linux. Sort of an adaptor.  :)
                   Mtia.......
                        Peter.

Anmer

Quote from: PD on July 17, 2017, 02:59:49 PM
Will BaseStaion run with Linux itself?

Welcome.

BaseStation is a Windows application.  You will need to emulate Windows on your Linux machine.
Here to Help.

PD

Many thanx Anmer.
I've just ordered a new laptop with Linux on it.
I couldn't remember if the subject had been brought up, or covered at an earlier date.
Can't work with Windows anymore. Win10 is ridiculous!
There are various 'front-end' programs available with Linux that will, as you said, emulate Windows.
Hoping for a better environment than Microsh^'te have to offer at present!
Anyone know if there's such a thing as water wings for out of their depth computer users?!!!!!!
Might try eBay

IanH

Wine is not sort of an adaptor  ;) Wine stands for Wine Is Not an Emulator  ;D

It is code written to perform the actions of Windows on a Linux machine. You don't need Windows installed.

If you have not used Linux before there is a learning curve for anything beyond the GUI based programs. So Libre Office provides similar functionality to MS Office. For other programs, there might be something similar or better for Linux. Or even the same specifically compiled for Linux.

Don't rely on running your Windows programs under Wine - some work, many don't. Check out the Wine website for compatibility.

Anyway to come back to the original question: getting BaseStation to work on Linux. You are in luck since it works well using Wine.

But it involves using the command line (think of it as a command window in Windows which you started using cmd).

I've just tried installing BaseStation using the notes I wrote back in 2014 and it worked. Not complicated but probably means nothing to you at the moment. So let's wait until the laptop arrives, see what Linux distro is installed (different versions have different commands) and then see if we can figure out the commands for that version.

Ian

rikgale

Sorry to drag this post back from the past.

IanH - would you still have a copy of those instructions for getting BaseStation installed on Linux. I would like to attempt to get BaseStation running under WINE - on Ubuntu 22.04 LTS on a Raspberry Pi 4.

Any guidance appreciated. :)

Auto updated daily ZIP files on GitHub

IanH

Found my notes.

Checked to see if they still work. Created a Debian Bullseye VM  and my minimalist instructions failed.

Complicated by 32bit/64bit Debian.

Need to investigate further based on this description of running PP on Debian (ok so on RPi but likely to be relevant). https://www.satsignal.eu/raspberry-pi/wine-pp.html

rikgale

Thanks for checking Ian.

I think Ubuntu is based on Debian and will be on a Pi, so the link might be relevant. Need to actually get Ubuntu up and running on the Pi, then see if I am able to get the SBS-3 talking with the Pi - fingers crossed DaveReids success means that if it works under windows, it might also work with Linux.

Just need a good whack of time to sit and 'play' without distractions.

IanH

Getting somewhere at last.

Remember that this is on a PC but should still work.

The link below installs Wine and the 32bit architecture (note I chose the winehq-devel version. Also installing winetricks did not work - there are ways of installing but I did not bother [yet!])

https://www.how2shout.com/linux/how-to-install-winehq-on-debian-11-bullseye/

Uploaded BaseStation 184 CD files to Debian in folder BS184 on Desktop. Key to successful install seems to be additional files "ftd2xx.dll" and "wingding_0.ttf" on the Desktop. Suspect the first one is the important one since the second just makes fonts work ok.  And can't be bothered to find out  ::)

DO NOT DO THIS:
If you right-click on "setup.exe" and select Wine to run the program - it cannot find "Mono" and wants to install it. I don't think BaseStation requires Mono. I Tried various ways to install Mono but too difficult to recommend when not needed.

DO THIS: Found a way to bypass this!!

Open a Terminal window and run "wineboot". It generates some errors but basically seems to create some wine config files. It asks to install Mono, just Cancel

Now you can right-click on "setup.exe" in the BS184 folder and select Wine to run the program. BaseStation installs and generates a "BaseStation.lnk" on the desktop. Right click on that and open with Wine. For me the installation proceeded and after giving a link to my SBS source, I see plots.

YMMV - thanks to Proxmox where I can easily save a test VM (with Wine and BS184 available) and then dump/restart within 2 minutes.

Some guess work and luck but hopefully it works for you - let me know.

rikgale

Many thanks, Ian.

I will let you know of success or otherwise. This may not be for a while, as I used my free block of time today trying to get an RSPY1a and DumpHFDL to work under Linux. No joy at this time. I am hoping that this will be something I can fettle at while the family are around :)

Cheers,
Rik

A380

Hello,

today I tested today Wine on Ubuntu 20.04 I386 and Basestations 184
The Basesstation start and display Flights :-)

But I have a problem with Aircraft Details. No Data shown:

First it's showing error Parse xml :-( I tried to install the msxml.dll's
Now the Error Message gone, but no data displayed only a white screen.

Any Suggentions to fix the Problem?

Kind Regards

Anmer

Do you have a Basestation sub-folder:

UserData

In which are found these files:

basestation.css
basestation.xsl
temp1.xml
temp2.xml
Here to Help.

A380

Yes, All files and inside temp1.xml and temp2.xml are the correct values :-(

Anmer

The Aircraft Details window uses IE, no other browser.
Here to Help.

A380

I have Internet Explorer installed on WINE, but it doesen't work.

I found no documents about the requeried DLL'S to use the embedded TWebrowser from Delphi.

Anmer

Quote from: A380 on May 09, 2022, 06:53:40 AM
I have Internet Explorer installed on WINE, but it doesen't work.

If IE doesn't work, the Aircraft Details window won't work either.
Here to Help.