Welcome to Radarspotting. Please login or sign up.

April 18, 2024, 05:12:50 PM

Login with username, password and session length

New Members

New Members

You should get an activation email when you join.  If not, please use the Contact option.

2.4ghz/Router antenna as 1090mhz antenna?

Started by kiwikiean, July 22, 2017, 08:22:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kiwikiean

Hi all,
I was looking through E bay for a 1090mhz antenna and could not get over the amount of what look to be 2.4ghz antennas with 1090mhz in the tittle. My question would a 2.4ghz antenna be any good? I am looking at a YAGI antenna for my receiver to get better range in one direction.
Thanks, Kieran.

Anmer

Welcome.

Are you looking to mount the antenna externally?

I have a a window mounted omni antenna, amongst others, that has the whole house behind it facing south.  The red line indicates the north-south divide.

You'll be surprised what coverage it gets to the south.

I'd be surprised if those eBay antennae will be of any use for 1090 MHz. I don'y see them being retailed by any of the established suppliers.

[Attachment deleted by Admin to save file space]
Here to Help.

kiwikiean

Very nice, thanks
I live down low so yea not the best reception I was looking to mount a external yagi/directional antenna, currently have a omni and it does the job but only 50mn at max.

Anmer

Without knowing your location and terrain/buildings, 50nm may be the best you can hope for.

Try using this app:

http://www.heywhatsthat.com/

1090 MHz reception is normally line of sight.

Here to Help.

kiwikiean

Anmer

Thanks for the location.

I'd recommend the app.  You can set your location and check your line of sight range.  You have some very high ground in various directions which may be blocking signals, especially where the aircraft may normally route.

http://www.heywhatsthat.com/

For airband you also need a suitable antenna for the required frequencies.  I don't think the one in your link will be any use.
Here to Help.

Truetrack

Hi Kieran
For 1090 best is a dedicated single freq antenna.
If a Yagi is wished industrial manufactured Yagi are costly,
IMHO too dear not knowing if it helps anyway.
Logperiodics are no good either as intended for wideband differing freqs e.g. 1 to 10 ratio.
For each particular freq only some 3 pairs of elements are excited.
As for the 2.4 GHz Yagi these are way off and you cannot precisely enlarge the elements and spacing .
even though there are design-progs Homebrew is critical as too many variables
exact Element length / diameter / spacing / metal boom or other/ elements passing thru boom
or attached.
I do not know what Vertical Omni you have at present but you might have improvement with
a vertical Collinear which will bring down the lobe of most sensivity more to the horizontal
compared to other monoPoles or groundplane.
There are several homebrew instructions in the Net e.g. made out of Coax-sections soldered
together and housed in a covered PVC tubing. Depending on how many Element sections total
length about 1.2 to 1.6 Meters.

For VHF Airband you may prune any whip like Mobile-CB .

Regards
Klaus

kiwikiean

Hi Guys, Thanks for the reply I am currently using a small J-Pole antenna for asd-b around 10-15cm long side.