Welcome to Radarspotting. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 03:17:33 AM

Login with username, password and session length

New Members

New Members

You should get an activation email when you join.  If not, please use the Contact option.

Looking for Sponser Plane Base Software

Started by shalomblessing, August 08, 2017, 08:25:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shalomblessing

Dear All

Am looking for a sponser for Plane Base software

Thank you

Anmer

Welcome.

Can you explain what you are looking for?  I don't understand what it is you want?
Here to Help.

Triple7

Any new user that wishes to use the PlaneBase software, now needs a sponsor to ensure they are a real person. The sponsor supposedly verifies their authenticity.

If you don't know anyone that is already a member of that community - you need to ask for a willing volunteer.

(or something like that anyway!  :) )

Tim
SBS-1eR, FA ProStick + 1090 filter

Anmer

Thanks Tim.

I just went onto the PlaneBase website to find out more.

http://planebase.biz/

The Home page describes what it can do and highlights "Best of All - it is free of charge!"

So I clicked on the PlaneBase tab.  This has 10, large format screenshots, illustrating its features.  At the bottom of the page is an invitation to download PlaneBase.

And this is what I got in return?

Access Denied

Not terribly "customer" friendly.  At this point, I would have done what the News of the World reporters did and "withdrew".  But in the interests of research, I decided to dig around a bit more.

So I went to the Downloads tab and found a reference to "New Users without a sponsor are currently not accepted".

Fair enough, but it doesn't explain how the "sponsorship" works or what's required.

I assume one must complete the application form to discover more?  At this point I decided to "withdraw" as I'm not fond of providing personal information without good reason.

Conclusions.

1. The website usability could be improved.  For example, the application form asks a question, "New or Existing User?"  There's only one check box - "New User".  So why ask the question in the first place?

2. If all new users need a "sponsor", it would be helpful to explain how this works before an application is submitted.  For example, who are acceptable sponsors and how are they validated?  Is being a member of this forum sufficient and if so, how does it add value to the acceptance process?  Anyone can join here.

3. I'm sure PlaneBase is a good product which requires a lot of effort to maintain its database.  However, and I'm not the only one of this opinion, it needs to improve its marketing and promotion.

4. Like many other aircraft database solutions, is there a commercial opportunity?  I think there is but it needs careful product marketing and a "clever" pricing model. Active Display is/was well liked and able to sustain an annual licence fee.  Sadly we lost Gary Jones and the rest is history. 

This hobby is littered with many good products that haven't survived, including dbpop.  And there's a recurring theme.  Enthusiasts don't always make good business.  And good business doesn't make good politics.

Maybe PlaneBase is going to be different but it has some way to go.

Footnote

@ shalomblessing.  I'd love to help, if only I knew how!

[Attachment deleted by Admin to save file space]
Here to Help.

Triple7

I have asked the PB support guys to provide some background on the sponsorship requirements and will reply here with their response.

Tim
SBS-1eR, FA ProStick + 1090 filter

Anmer

Thanks Tim.

It's easier to get a free FR24, FlightAware or, dare I say it, AirNav, receiver.  ;)
Here to Help.