Welcome to Radarspotting. Please login or sign up.

May 02, 2024, 02:45:53 PM

Login with username, password and session length

New Members

New Members

You should get an activation email when you join.  If not, please use the Contact option.

PlaneBaseNG Aircraft Database Program

Started by mezoo, September 19, 2013, 08:53:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shalomblessing

Can any one sponser me for Plane base NG so i can download this software?

Thanks

Anmer

Until we know how to sponsor you, we're stuck!

Tim is trying to find out some more for us.
Here to Help.

Keef

There is this line of text on their website:

'We are happy to accept new users if you are sponsored by an existing Planebase user'

So it looks like you need to know someone who already runs the software, that seems a bit restrictive to me.
I'd have thought there would be other (and better) ways to allow people in without having it completely open for anyone to use.

Cheers,

Keef.

Anmer

Thanks Keef.

That's going to restrict new users.  Sounds like a golf club or the Masons.  ???
Here to Help.

s92driver

I don't think it's anywhere near so incestuous or restrictive.  The 'owners' were finding it tough to cover the hosting costs due to the amount of data that was being downloaded.  There were a lot of users who were downloading "just to have a look", and then never kept the data or program up to date.

So I think they thought that by introducing the "sponsorship" concept then new subscribers would have already have seen the program in use.

I could act as a sponsor if there is a genuine interest in the product.

Cheers
Steve

Keef

Hi Steve,

I'm sure your offer of being a sponsor will be appreciated by at least one member here  :)
I'm happy as I am and am not particularly interested in PB, not that I am implying there is anything wrong with it, I've never used it.

Not sure I follow the logic behind sponsorship though.
How would I already have seen the product in use if I can't get hold of it without a sponsor and I don't have a sponsor?
Having a sponsor gives me access to the software, but not until after I have the sponsor so I cannot have used the software until I'm sponsored.
All seems a bit wrong to me.

I understand some filtering, I just don't think they're doing it the best way.

Okay, you've offered and that's great, but in my opinion it really shouldn't be necessary to come on to a separate forum, or any other website other than PBs, to be able to sign up or express interest and get some way in to using the software.

Also, what happens if you sponsor someone (who you are unlikely to know) and they fall foul of the rules?
Are there consequences for you that might make you less inclined to sponsor someone in the future?

I can imagine if someone was wiling to sponsor anyone without knowing them then the problems you suggested would re-appear for PB.
The only difference is now they can say it is down to someone else not themselves.

I know this reads like a bit of a rant but it really isn't meant to be one, I just can't follow the logic.

Cheers,

Keef.

shalomblessing

Dear Steve

It would be appreciated if you could sponsor me

Many thanks
Ronald

s92driver

Quote from: Keef on August 09, 2017, 10:57:31 PM
Hi Steve,

I'm sure your offer of being a sponsor will be appreciated by at least one member here  :)
I'm happy as I am and am not particularly interested in PB, not that I am implying there is anything wrong with it, I've never used it.

Not sure I follow the logic behind sponsorship though.
How would I already have seen the product in use if I can't get hold of it without a sponsor and I don't have a sponsor?
Having a sponsor gives me access to the software, but not until after I have the sponsor so I cannot have used the software until I'm sponsored.
All seems a bit wrong to me.

I understand some filtering, I just don't think they're doing it the best way.

Okay, you've offered and that's great, but in my opinion it really shouldn't be necessary to come on to a separate forum, or any other website other than PBs, to be able to sign up or express interest and get some way in to using the software.

Also, what happens if you sponsor someone (who you are unlikely to know) and they fall foul of the rules?
Are there consequences for you that might make you less inclined to sponsor someone in the future?

I can imagine if someone was wiling to sponsor anyone without knowing them then the problems you suggested would re-appear for PB.
The only difference is now they can say it is down to someone else not themselves.

I know this reads like a bit of a rant but it really isn't meant to be one, I just can't follow the logic.

Cheers,

Keef.

Hi Keef,

My only response is that we don't need to understand the logic.  It's what the owners of the software decided, no doubt based on the facts and issues they faced, in the hope of mitigating said issues.  I'm not part of the decision making group, so can only pass on in general terms what was emailed to all the existing users at the time the change in policy was implemented.

I certainly don't lose any sleep over it or exert any emotional energy.  Life's too short.   8)

As stated, I'm happy to sponsor users of this forum.  I'm also happy to assist with any issues with the software as best I can.

I'm just a very happy end user of a software suite that meets my needs and is constantly being updated.  For instance it is now possible to produce your own sqb file based on your requirements e.g. specific regions or specific aircraft types or groups.  This week an Android app is being released, although there will be a nominal annual charge for this.  The data behind the software is also pretty solid and comprehensive.

Cheers,
Steve

Anmer

Quote from: s92driver on August 09, 2017, 09:42:27 PM
The 'owners' were finding it tough to cover the hosting costs due to the amount of data that was being downloaded.  There were a lot of users who were downloading "just to have a look", and then never kept the data or program up to date.

This is the nub of the problem.  PlaneBase's key asset is available for free, in its entirety.

The team needs to add value to the data and charge for access.  Active Display was able to do it.

Active Display provided new functionality for which there was a commercial market.

PlaneBase's "distribution" model is flawed and I can't see the "sponsor" requirement fixing it.

If it doesn't find a solution, it could go the same way as dbpop.
Here to Help.

KenR

I have been a planebase user since its first release.  (Previously an ADU user).

I use it to do all my logging - it updates my Basestation sqb (with seen and details when, where, etc) as I log.   I attach my photographs (several thousand to date) to aircraft records. It works in either Frames or Registration modes.  The databases are updated regularly - the Airliners/Exec db usually twice a week and the rest on a weekly basis.  PBLINK runs alongside Kinetic Basestation - updating the sqb with new records using data from the Planebase database.  I have use the system extensively when on overseas trips, and in some cases where appropriate, (spotting from a Hotel), I log as I go, so that it keeps my  basestation sqb up to date with seen details. 

There is a comprehensive reporting facility - including the production of MS Word books.
New features are constantly being added - The latest of which (due to be released soon) is a linked android based app for use on the go.

The authors and editors are all very keen and experienced and, I believe, mainly work in the industry.  They are responsive, open to suggestion and very good at giving customer service - Hence their good reputation.

The program is 'Free' and they cover their server/hosting costs by Voluntary donations from satisfied users.  (I guess a similar funding model to radarspotting.com.).
If, in time they move to a paid for subscription model, I am sure the majority of serious enthusiast users will go with it.

For the avoidance of doubt, I am in no way connected to the management or running of Planebase  - Just a very satisfied user.

Ken

Anmer

Thanks Ken.

I don't doubt PlaneBase is a good product.  This thread was rekindled by someone wanting a "sponsor" and that's why some of us question the business model.

And as I've mentioned before, this hobby is littered with great products that have "stalled", either because the support became a burden or operating costs were unsustainable.

As for donations, although much appreciated, they don't come close to covering the full costs of running this forum.  And they're never going to.  I run it as a "labour of love".  And everyone I know who operates a donation model has a similar view.

Here to Help.

Triple7

Here is the reply I got  from the PB team - I copy it here verbatim:

Tim,

The details are on the download page but to make it clear.

A new user can be sponsored by an existing PlaneBase user or approved by a member of the PlaneBase team. The sponsor must know the user they are sponsoring and ultimately is responsible for that user. If the new user ends up being purged or causes us problems then that can reflect on the sponsor. Any existing user should not offer themselves as a "sponsor service" to  anyone they don't know.

We introduced this policy to control the number of users we have and when we allowed unrestricted downloads to all we ended up having to purge hundreds of users who didn't keep up to date and didn't reply to our emails. This resulted in too much admin work and as those users didn't contribute to the cost of running PlaneBase we decided to control who could download the software.

Many new users just want a sqb file and that is all and it should be remembered that PlaneBase is designed for users that log their sightings in PlaneBase and also have the advantage of updating a sqb file with their details.

Unfortunately our bandwidth and servers have to be paid for and although we are free we do rely on the users that kindly donate to help with the costs of running all of this. There are many users that don't donate and If we allowed everyone to download then we would either have to start charging or we wouldn't stay afloat. We dont intend to start charging so therefore we need to control our numbers.

I hope that clarifies things .

Regards

PlaneBase Support

I think that is pretty clear to me, so if a member here wishes to sponsor someone they have never met, or don't know, that is of course their prerogative, but the notes above may make you have second thoughts.

For me, this is a great product, does what I need it to do - support is great too.

Tim
SBS-1eR, FA ProStick + 1090 filter

Anmer

Thanks for that Tim.

My views about sponsorship remain unchanged.  Even more so now.
Here to Help.

Shaun1969

Thank you for this post, I am not a planebase user as I don't unfortunately have a sponsor. However reading the reply from PB it is very clear why they have gone down the route of a sponsor. For me it looks like i shall have to really sweet talk the wife and kids into an ADU Christmas present.
Shaun